Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Round2 Klingon Bird-Of-Prey 1:350  (Read 1368 times)

Offline MiniMadnessR53

• Ensign
  • Jadon
Re: Round2 Klingon Bird-Of-Prey 1:350
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 11:35:17 am »
@Spencer -  I haven't cemented the top hull to the bottom yet, as I want to put the light kit up in there. ( Madman Lighting )

Will any putty be good enough to throw the gaps then sand smooth? Or is there a particular brand that is like the "Go to" for that kind of thing. ( This is my first 1:350, so I am being a little perfectionist about it ) Part of the reason I went to hand painting too, was because the Klingon ships are always heavily weathered so it makes it look rustic and "battle scarred".

@jazzydog - So...like tomorrow? haha
"Per Aspera Ad Astra" and I will see you...Starside.

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 12:43:01 pm »
I'm trying to be a bit picky on my build too.

If the parts actually mate (touch) when put together, they should be able to cement together. Then you can use just about any putty to fill in the gap.
I use Bondo automotive red putty and Squadron brand putties almost exclusively with pretty good success. Although I'm going to try Liquitex
modeling paste on this build.

There are several others, like Perfect Plastic Putty, but I haven't used them myself. I'm sure there is a thread somewhere on the forum that
discusses it.

You can also try using Testor's red tube cement when you join the parts instead of liquid cement. Since it's a gel, it can act a both a cement and a
bit of gap filler too when it fully dries. Can save you some putty. I've done it a couple times when the gaps were kinda big.
Just don't go overboard with it, since it is a plastic solvent.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 08:21:37 am »
Looking to get my hands on one of these for 2018!

Get yourself to Hobby Lobby! They are on clearance for $10! (Assuming you are in the states and have a Hobby Lobby within an acceptable driving distance.)  ::) ;D

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline jazzydog

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 09:42:22 am »
I'll have to check out Hobby Lobby. I've gotten a couple of 1/1000 kits from there!

Offline MiniMadnessR53

• Ensign
  • Jadon
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2018, 11:03:32 am »
Looking to get my hands on one of these for 2018!

Get yourself to Hobby Lobby! They are on clearance for $10! (Assuming you are in the states and have a Hobby Lobby within an acceptable driving distance.)  ::) ;D

Steve

Thanks! I have one within walking distance from my work. which is where I do most of the building of the kit anyways!

Offline MiniMadnessR53

• Ensign
  • Jadon
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 07:24:18 am »
Alright. So I have the main pieces all painted ( rough draft ) of what I want. The body isn't cemented just yet but I just wanted to get some feedback on how it looks and maybe some suggestions on next steps.

If anyone has some input on a dremel or a easy way to get these windows opened up for the lighting. That would help me immensely =)

Here is what it looks like as of now : http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p495/MiniMadnessR53/20180113_050933_zps1uq0qeyu.jpg   

Offline MiniMadnessR53

• Ensign
  • Jadon
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2018, 02:46:00 pm »
Alright. So I have  some really sad news. Just now my wife texted me while I am at work. My son ( he's 3 ) got a hold of the model, managed to throw it over the back fence, annnd the neighbors dog enjoyed himself an unfinished Klingon BoP....guess the Klingon Empire didn't have the shields to handle a bite from a giant dog...anyway...there is not much left of the model... but thankfully, I had ordered another one to practice some painting and shading techniques on about a week ago and it arrived yesterday, guess I will just build this one up.

The other good news is that the Lighting kit that I am.... "Franken-boarding"? wasn't in the model yet. So, it's back to square 1 and I will just restart the build photos in this post so I don't duplicate the page, if any one was following this one haha.

*Guess I better be more careful where I leave things...lesson learned..

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2018, 07:31:39 am »
Jadon, my deepest sympathies! That so totally sucks!

On the other hand, you did get alot of practice in on the first one so the second one should be easier.

And, Klingon shield technology hasn't historically been great anyway. Remember Praxis?!  ;D

Stay strong and steady on!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline manu

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2018, 01:32:18 am »
Hahahaha, I'm so sorry but having two boys myself I can totally imagine how the little tyke made daddies rocket fly. I can't help but to laugh, and yes I know it sucks. Have to defend my models against the brats on a daily basis, but I love them anyway.

Better luck next time. It will be great to see the second model come o life!

Offline MiniMadnessR53

• Ensign
  • Jadon
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2018, 08:12:43 am »
@Steve Thanks! I have learned alot from my first 350 scale kit. Granted, I didn't get to finish it, I realized some mistakes and this time through I will be a little more thorough....and keep little demon boy away haha

@manu No worries! I'm new-ish to this whole "parenting" thing and didn't expect him to do that. He has never bothered it before, or even noticed it.
Guess Daddy has to keep his things in the Garage from now on haha.!

Offline manu

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 02:15:20 am »
Minimadness, I think you'll do just fine parenting. but it takes a lot of patience. Oh and one thing, expect everything! There's literately nothing kids won't do to surprise you  ;D
Another 5 years and you'll build rocket models together.

Enterprise © Bloc