Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looking for a small model that i can light. Voyager or Enterprise.  (Read 91 times)

Offline Cpt-Spekkie

• Lieutenant
Okay i need some help in finding / choosing a new build. But first let me give you a rundown of what i need and why.

As some of you have read in my w.i.p. build log i've build a 667 Revell Voyager and it turned out far better that i could have hoped. Only problem for me, the model is to big to comfortably place at my desk were i spelt most off my time.  ::)

So in the event the Voyager gets sold to my uncle (what has a high probability) i want to research the possibility for a replacement that would fit my desk setup.
What i'm looking for is a kit that i can build preferibly of Voyager or an Enterprise that is small enough so that it can sit (with a special created mount i will print) on top of my 27inch monitor. Right now there is a small 3D printed spitfire on the corner and i want to replace that with a starship.

But here is the catch: i want it to be small enough (about 25 to max 35 cm long) so that it can sit there, but still be big enough so that i can light the model!  :o Yes you read that right, i want to light it. I understand that lighting a smaller kit will be even more difficult, and that i will lose some of the details on this smaller scale, but that is not a problem. Also i have the ability to augment a model kit with the use of 3D modeling and a 3D printer. But printing a complete model is not really possible.

Printing a model will result in a heavy model, because you need infill or support to print the body, so a normal kit would be better as those are normally hollow.

So is there anything you guys and girls know of that is still available to buy that would fit my desire?
Or maybe someone has a model and would want to sell it, i would consider it, but be advised i'm in the Netherlands so shipping can become a problem.  ;)

Here is hoping my idea is not to outlandish.  ;D

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
Re: Looking for a small model that i can light. Voyager or Enterprise.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 08:16:50 pm »
But here is the catch: i want it to be small enough (about 25 to max 35 cm long) so that it can sit there, but still be big enough so that i can light the model!

Here are some kits of the Enterprise and Voyager that may better suit the space in which you want to display them:

Polar Lights / Round 2

1:1000 TOS Enterprise - Space Seed Edition (kit number POL908):
  • 2013 release
  • About 11.5-inches long
  • Portholes (windows) are NOT molded into the plastic, but are on the decal sheet

1:1000 TOS Enterprise - Pre-decorated (kit number POL936):
  • 2015 release
  • About 11.5-inches long
  • Portholes (windows) are NOT molded into the plastic, but all the decal work is pre-painted on so it can help to make drilling holes a bit simpler

1:1000 Enterprise Refit / -A (kit number POL820):
  • 2010 release
  • About 12-inches long
  • Includes aztec decal set
  • Portholes (windows) locations are molded into the plastic, so lighting the kit is possible with additional work

Monogram / Revell

1:1400 Star Trek: Voyager 3-Piece Set (North America kit number 3607 / European kit number 05780):
  • 1996 release
  • Includes Voyager, a Kazon Raider, and a Maquis ship all in 1:1400 scale
  • Portholes (windows) are molded into the plastic, but are very small

Hope this helps.

:)
"They've done studies, you know.  60% of the time, it works every time."

-----

Google+: https://plus.google.com/109660073537038906328

Offline Cpt-Spekkie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 05:04:35 am »
Thank you su much Gadgetron_3000,

This indeed helps to now know what to start looking for.
A 1:1000 refit could be epic to sit on top of a monitor. But then again i always found it a shame they only lit the inner chiller grills instead of the whole nacelle.
The TOS versions are also nice, but indeed having the windows not molded in the plastic will make making windows a lot more difficult.

The Voyager in 1:1400 scale would size wise be perfect, but as far as i can see the nacelles do not have transparant pieces for the chiller grills and buzzard. So that would be a nice little project in its own.
But we live for the challenge i would say.

One question remains, is there a 1701-D in this smaller scale that could be lighted?

Offline Cpt-Spekkie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 06:39:19 am »
After doing some reading and looking up the models to see what i can get here and for what prices, i think it will be the refit after all.  ;D

An 1701-D would be nice, but the fact that even on the bigger versions the pylons are a pain in the rear makes that the scale i want is not possible.
Also Voyager would be sweet, but there is only one listing on ebay and they want the jackpot for that one and the fact that the nacelles are one piece trows me off on that model.

TOS is nice, but i'm more of a refit / newer kind of guy, mostly because i like the lighting on those a lot better.

So yeah the refit in 1:1000 scale should be doable for a position above my monitor.
Now only to find some build logs / video's of people who also build this model and lighted them, so that i can do up some inspiration. Want to try and light it as close to a 350 scale as i can.  ::)
Oh what am i getting myself into.  ;D

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
Iain

Offline Cpt-Spekkie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 03:28:40 pm »
Thanks for the hint  ;)
And although i find the refit NX-01 a far better look than the normal NX-01 its not the ship i would want to see as my prime model on top of my desk.

I've been watching video's of the 1:1000 refit all day, and although its gonna be a challenge, i think i want to go for for the refit.  ::) ;D

Offline Cpt-Spekkie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 08:44:59 am »
The decision is made, i've ordered an 1701 Refit in 1:1000 scale.

So thanks again Gadgetron for the rundown on the models, it helped a lot in making my decision.

Enterprise © Bloc