Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Filling clear windows  (Read 98 times)

Offline WeeMoe

• Lieutenant
Filling clear windows
« on: October 22, 2017, 09:11:36 am »
I'm building a 537 refit and want something to fill the arboretum windows , but it has to be crystal clear so you can see inside.
Canopy glue won't do for this but I've seen deluxe materials clear water. You use it for making ponds etc in dioramas.
My question is has anyone ever used it before? And would recommend it?

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
Re: Filling clear windows
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 10:16:59 am »
I'm building a 537 refit and want something to fill the arboretum windows , but it has to be crystal clear so you can see inside.
Canopy glue won't do for this but I've seen deluxe materials clear water. You use it for making ponds etc in dioramas.
My question is has anyone ever used it before? And would recommend it?

I haven't, but what I'd be using is plastic scavenged from blister on card packaging. It's thin, does well enough optically, and can be shaped to match the curvature.

The difficulty of using a resin meant for making ponds on dioramas is that it may be fragile when used as a window material. Plus, there's "damming" the frames, filling the windows, sanding the profile, and polishing.

Offline greg

• Commander
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 11:08:04 pm »
Here in Japan, at the 100 yen shop Daiso they sell a UV-curing clear resin in a tube. No mixing required. You just set it outside in the sunlight and it hardens from the UV light. I am starting to use it for clear-casting small parts and I think I will use it to fill in the windows on my 537 Refit when the time comes to build it. Don from Don's Light And Magic says to use scotch tape along window frames and fill them on the inside with clear resin. After it dries, you should be able to lift the tape up. I've never done this myself, but that is what others have said.

So about the arboretum windows... did you cut out the entire length of all windows and then reconstructed the spaces in between with spare styrene strips?

Offline Mstowell

• Admiral
  • Gort! Barenga!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 09:53:46 pm »
I
Matt

Offline WeeMoe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 01:15:54 pm »
Well I never even thought about having to polish up,the windows when they were filled in, might get a bottle to test out on a scrap of styrene?

I opened up the whole section and have yet to make the struts out of styrene sheet gonna tackle that in a couple of days time 🤔

Enterprise © Bloc