Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Testing various flat clears over Future (FINISHED TESTING)  (Read 349 times)

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
Re: Testing various flat clears over Future.
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 09:07:45 pm »
Ahh ... I thought you meant actual Testors branded and not Model Master. I do have some of that to try!
I think they do a good job.  Make sure they are well mixed before airbrusing, though.

Offline Liquid Electron

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2017, 10:55:19 am »
I really do want to see how this turns out.
To seek out new kits and modeling skills.  To boldly build what several people have built before.

Offline Spencer

• Physicist and Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 12:14:26 pm »

Working on that now ... post incoming ...

P.S.  I have some Liquitex Matte Varnish and Airbrush Medium in the mail. How do you personally mix and spray that??
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 01:53:28 pm by Spencer »

Offline Spencer

• Admiral
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 12:33:10 pm »
TEST NUMBER 1

The "Control": Testors Dullcote Lacquer
--------------------------------------------------

The can says spray lacquer, but I've seen some storefronts call it an enamel. Others have told
me it's an "enamel based lacquer"  ???

In either case, I've used it before and know that it sprays fairly smooth and uniform and is a nice flat finish.

After putting some poster-board over the other wedges. I sprayed the Dullcote about 10 inches from the surface in two VERY light dusting coats.
Waiting several minutes, I sprayed an even overlapping coat, followed by another light dust coat.

As expected, the finish is smooth, uniform and fairly flat, but not "dead flat". More between eggshell and satin. It also dries to the touch very quickly, but the smell lingers
for quite a bit, even with my booth fans at full blast. Just as important here, there is no noticeable interaction with the Future. I also didn't
notice any kind of yellow tinge sometimes seen with applying to much Dullcote.

Note that it isn't straightforward to get good images of the differences in luster, but here are my attempts ...

Future to the left, Dullcote over Future to the right ... under a bright fluorescent light.

Movie comparison, slightly blurry to emphasize the difference.

So, Test #1 is a SUCCESS in that Dullcote did what I expected. So, if for some reason I have little other choice, it can be used without issue.
Whether or not it yellows with age, I obviously can't say here ...

Up next will be the Krylon spray bombs, followed by the Valspar. Will be testing those in the next couple days.

Cheers,
Spencer
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 05:45:54 pm by Spencer »

Offline Spencer

• Admiral
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2017, 02:21:37 pm »
Well, heck, the spray bombs are drying so fast I'll go ahead and post my findings shortly ... getting some interesting results!

Spencer
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 03:12:14 pm by Spencer »

Offline Spencer

• Admiral
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 02:37:26 pm »
TEST NUMBER 2

Krylon UV-Resistant Clear (Matte)

This stuff says acrylic on the can, but obviously isn't purely water based.

After spraying about 10 inches from the surface in four light coats. Here is what I get:

Dullcote on the left, Krylon UV-Resistant Matte on the right ...

Not only did it knock the shine down better than the Dullcote, it is a touch smoother as well.
No signs of interaction with the Future

I have to say that I am quite surprised. It looks flatter than the Dullcote with less spraying.

SUCCESS.

Current Rank
==========
1.) Krylon UV-Resistant Clear (Matte)
2.) Testors Dullcote Spray Lacquer
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 03:14:45 pm by Spencer »

Offline Spencer

• Admiral
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 02:51:44 pm »
TEST NUMBER 3

Krylon Matte Finish

Nothing on the label about what type of paint this is, but the ingredients are similar to the Krylon UV stuff.

The directions explicitly say not to apply too much or it WILL turn milky.

I sprayed at 10 inches as even of a wet coat as I could, followed by another lighter spray. What whiff of this
stuff I caught smelled more like glue than paint.

Comparing the best result so far, Krylon UV-Resistant Clear on the left, Krylon Matte Finish on the right ...

The texture is about the same, but the Matte finish is SLIGHTLY more flat and uniform. Definitely getting closer to "dead flat".

Given how well the UV-Resistant clear did, I'm not too surprised. The Matte Finish is definitely cheaper and more abundant
where I live, but I can see where too much would turn it milky. But for now, it does edge out over the others
As before No interaction with the Future

SUCCESS.

Current Rank
==========
1.) Krylon Matte Finish
2.) Krylon UV-Resistant Clear (Matte)
3.) Testors Dullcote Spray Lacquer
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 02:55:19 pm by Spencer »

Offline Spencer

• Admiral
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 03:08:58 pm »
TEST NUMBER 4

Valspar Project Perfect Clear Matte

The directions for this say to spray 10-12 inches from the surface and wait 2 minutes between coats.

This definitely sprays more "violently". A much louder hissing and the spray was definitely harder to control and get even.
I made sure to warm up all the cans and shake very often, so I'm inclined to think it's more about the kind of nozzle the
can has.

Krylon Matte Finish (the current leader) on the left, Valspar Matte on the right ...

The Valspar is about as flat as the Krylon Matte (maybe closer to the Krlyon UV), but the texture is a bit rougher than the
Krylon clears and is perhaps slightly worse than the Dullcote. Maybe if Valspar used a different spray head, things would go down smoother?
But this stuff was cheapest of the spray bombs and was almost everywhere I looked, so that's going for it.
No signs of interaction with the Future

SUCCESS.

Current Rank
==========
1.) Krylon Matte Finish
2.) Krylon UV-Resistant Clear (Matte)
3. - tie.) Testors Dullcote Spray Lacquer
3. - tie.) Valspar Project Perfect Clear Matte

That's it for now. I'll work on the airbrushed clears later this week ...

Cheers,
Spencer

« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 03:17:35 pm by Spencer »

Offline Liquid Electron

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2017, 06:10:58 pm »

Working on that now ... post incoming ...

P.S.  I have some Liquitex Matte Varnish and Airbrush Medium in the mail. How do you personally mix and spray that??

About 70/30 Matte/medium...the medium is powerful stuff...use Windex to clean it...and do it quick.

Edit: Also the Matte Varnish is thick-ish and white, don't worry about the whiteness :)  It dries very flat.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 06:13:47 pm by Liquid Electron »
To seek out new kits and modeling skills.  To boldly build what several people have built before.

Offline Spencer

• Admiral
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2017, 06:20:13 pm »
About 70/30 Matte/medium...the medium is powerful stuff...use Windex to clean it...and do it quick.

Edit: Also the Matte Varnish is thick-ish and white, don't worry about the whiteness :)  It dries very flat.

Thanks! I'll be spraying that on the underside of the saucer, using Future over just a smoothed primer coat
so I don't have to wait as long to try it.

Offline Liquid Electron

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2017, 06:26:41 pm »
This is a Future coat -> decals -> Future coat -> weathering -> Liquitex Matte

One pass.

Offline Spencer

• Admiral
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2017, 11:58:59 am »
This is a Future coat -> decals -> Future coat -> weathering -> Liquitex Matte

One pass.

Nice. Been thinking about buying a couple armor kits myself.

Question. What are the white flecks?
Also, what pressures and distances do you use?

This arrived in the mail. Price plus shipping are cheaper than what Hobby Lobby wanted. Michaels had neither ...

« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 12:00:46 pm by Spencer »

Offline Liquid Electron

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2017, 12:16:08 pm »

Nice. Been thinking about buying a couple armor kits myself.

Question. What are the white flecks?
Also, what pressures and distances do you use?

The white flecks are Tamiya buff splattered to look like dried mud.  I'm not sure I like it, but hey.

I use a pretty high PSI for the Liquitex, 30-35.  For painting, about 20.  I finally found a working thinner/paint ratio for my AB and Tamiya and I'm sticking to it. :)

Please please remember to clean that Liquitex matte out of the airbrush as soon as you can.  If it sticks in there you'll spend a day cleaning it out and cursing at various gods.  (I have experience with this).

Offline Spencer

• Admiral
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2017, 12:30:02 pm »
Please please remember to clean that Liquitex matte out of the airbrush as soon as you can.  If it sticks in there you'll spend a day cleaning it out and cursing at various gods.  (I have experience with this).

I've made it a habit to disassemble and clean my airbrush thoroughly as soon as I'm done spraying every time. Plus, I'll probably only use
this stuff for smaller projects (if it works out for me) to limit the amount of time it stays in the airbrush.

I use a pretty high PSI for the Liquitex, 30-35.

My little compressor and airbrush tap out around 29-30 PSI. So I'll see how that works. I might thin it a touch more.

Spencer

P.S. You weren't kidding about the matte medium. I got a little on my thumb pulling off the seal and it quickly gunked up. Will be on my toes for this stuff.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 12:39:41 pm by Spencer »

Offline Spencer

• Admiral
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2017, 01:52:12 pm »
TEST NUMBER 5

Model Master Acryl Flat Clear (#4636)

According to the label, this stuff does not need thinning, but I've read in a lot of places that adding a couple drops of
thinner can help prevent orange peel and make it spray smoother. Recommended air pressure is 18-20 PSI.
Allow a full 24 hours to cure. This is the first time I've sprayed Acryl through an airbrush.

I made sure the clear was very well mixed and put some in the airbrush cup. I then added a couple drops of Universal Thinner (#50496) and stirred it a bit.
I found that getting a uniform coat was a bit difficult and as I was deciding to use a larger nozzle/needle, the nozzle gunked up. So I ran
some thinner through it, but it kept gumming up after a couple sprays, so I tore the airbrush down and cleaned it thoroughly using a mix of rubbing
alcohol and Airbrush Cleaner (#50497).

After that I decided to go with my gut. I switched to my largest needle and nozzle size, set the pressure to 23 PSI and increased the distance
a little. I also decided not to use the thinner and sprayed in lighter coats. This time there were no issues and I got a fairly uniform flat look.

MM Acryl Flat on the left, Future on the right

The texture feels a bit rougher than the Dullcote and Krylon clears, but is smoother than the Valspar. It looks fairly smooth though.
And after modifying my technique, I think it looks pretty uniform as well. It's about as flat as the Krylon Matte Finish.

I think, for me, this will work just fine for airbrushing smaller scales and more detailed things with my current brush. I'd probably get a nice
single action brush with a larger spray if I wanted to do larger surfaces. Overall it's a pretty good option. And, there was no interaction with
the Future
(unsurprisingly). Since the clear didn't gum up without the thinner, I'm not convinced it is the right stuff to be using, if at all.

SUCCESS.

Current Rank
==========
1.) Krylon Matte Finish
2.) Model Master Acryl Flat
3.) Krylon UV-Resistant Clear (Matte)
4. - tie.) Testors Dullcote Spray Lacquer
4. - tie.) Valspar Project Perfect Clear Matte

Cheers,
Spencer

« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 01:54:15 pm by Spencer »

Enterprise © Bloc