Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Testing various flat clears over Future (some final thoughts ...)  (Read 2674 times)

Offline RossW

• Captain
Re: Testing various flat clears over Future (some final thoughts ...)
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2018, 09:44:23 am »

What airbrush are you using for spraying Alclad?

I have a dedicated Iwata Eclipse side feed brush for lacquer paints and clears. I cannot remember if it is .35 or .5mm needle. Of course, I broke this rule last night when spraying some Alclad metal paint on my Captain America model shield and used a Sotar 20/20 that had previously been used for acrylics and had AV Flow Improver in it. What a mess ...

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2018, 09:46:35 am »
I should add that I have tried the new Mission Models Flat Clear but was not that thrilled - like the Testors Acryll Flat, it goes on too rough (although humidity and too high PSI may have been a factor). Great for spot brushing, though.

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2018, 10:30:13 am »
Hey Spencer, regarding the Vallejo Matte Varnish, here's the specifics:

*  Just to differentiate a bit, I'm referring here to Vallejo's varnish product, not their Matte Medium, which is also very good for adding transparancy without thinning.
*  The matte varnish is an acrylic-based product and can be thinned with water, but I use Vallejo's Airbrush Thinner, the same thinner I use for thinning their Model Color (acrylic) paints and even their Model Air acrylics.
*  I spray at 18 to 20 psi with a .35 Iwata HP-CS airbrush and a distance of around 6 to 8 inches with two to three coats applied.

Hope this helps.

Al

Enterprise © Bloc