Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Oh no! My clear coat has fibers in it!  (Read 92 times)

Offline digitani

• Ensign
Oh no! My clear coat has fibers in it!
« on: October 27, 2017, 07:53:02 pm »
Well, I think I messed up.  When I put the clear coat on my Enterprise primary hull, I can see all kinds of little fibers stuck in it.  I'm not sure what I did wrong.  Maybe they were there from the piece sitting around for a while before I coated it, or maybe it was my brush?  I don't know.  They seem too short to be from the brush.

Then I made things worse by taking a paper towel and trying to wipe it off after the clear coat was just put on.  Now tons of fibers from the paper towel.  So then I wet the paper towel, and that did help, but still fibers and now I've rubbed part of my paint job off.

So my big question is... what do I do now???  Red alert!

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
Re: Oh no! My clear coat has fibers in it!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 02:26:10 am »
Did you rub off the paint or did you rub off the clear coat?

Offline digitani

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 09:02:18 am »
A little of both.  I was trying to rub off the clear coat, but I could see that I had rubbed off some paint in the process.  Now, the upper saucer section has part of the paint rubbed off, and probably still some clear coat left that did not get rubbed off.  The lower saucer section did not get rubbed at all, so it still has clear coat and everything, but it has fibers trapped in the clear coat, so I kind of have two problems.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 01:55:36 pm »
For the upper part, if you have damaged the paint, you are unfortunately looking at repair or stripping and reworking, depending on how bad it is.  If you could provide a photograph of it, some of us might have some ideas for repair. 

For the lower part, i have gotten little fibers in my clear coat before.  YOu may be able to gently pick them out with a hobby knife.  Having the clear coat fully dry actually helps at this point because it contracts as it dries.  This leaves a fiber sized hole in the topcoat but you can put another clearcoat over it and fill in those defects.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 01:57:32 pm »
BTW, when I see fibers in my paint, it's usually tiny pieces of lint.  You can wipe the model down with a clean, lint-free cloth before topcoating to reduce the chances of this happening.

Offline digitani

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 05:58:39 am »
Thanks so much for your reply, starsiegeplayer!

I finally had time to take some pictures.  Now that the clear coat is dry, it looks different.  There is a milky/waxy area where I rubbed too much.  I can't quite tell what it is.  Maybe just the clear coat messed up or maybe I rubbed the paint off.

Any thoughts on how to save this?

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 11:47:54 pm »
Thanks so much for your reply, starsiegeplayer!

I finally had time to take some pictures.  Now that the clear coat is dry, it looks different.  There is a milky/waxy area where I rubbed too much.  I can't quite tell what it is.  Maybe just the clear coat messed up or maybe I rubbed the paint off.

Any thoughts on how to save this?

Hi Digitani, sorry i didn't see your reply until today.  I think probably your clear coat is just messed up.  If you put some water over the milky area, and it looks the same as the rest, then all you are seeing is diffusion from damaged clearcoat (dry it off after). 

If the clearcoat is the only part damaged, then just get some fine wet-dry sandpaper from your local hardware store.   2000 grit would probably work but you might need 1000 grit also. Gently sand down the clearcoat to get it more uniform (you are not trying to take the clearcoat off). Then you can recoat it. 

However, with your parts still separate like you show, stripping and reworking is not a big deal at all.  I have had to do that once (http://scifimodelaction.com/sfmaforum/index.php?topic=4049.45). 

If you had to strip it, you could use a paint stripping liquid (he right stripping liquid will depend on what kind of paint you used) but honestly to rework like this I'd probably just wet sand down the base coat with 400 grit paper until it was uniform and then repaint it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 12:41:20 am by starsiegeplayer »

Enterprise © Bloc