Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Oh no! My clear coat has fibers in it!  (Read 1572 times)

Offline digitani

• Ensign
Re: Oh no! My clear coat has fibers in it!
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 11:36:51 am »
Thank you guys so much!  I feel like I have a path forward now.  I'm going to use some windex with ammonia to strip off the future, then if there is still discoloration, I'm just going to apply another coat of paint.

Right now, its below freezing and outside is the only place I feel comfortable spray painting, so I may need to wait for it to warm up a bit.  Anyone know if you can spray that synthetic acrylic lacquer in below freezing temps?  I'm just guessing that its problematic.

Offline digitani

• Ensign
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 05:58:55 pm »
Success!!!

starsiegeplayer was exactly right!  All I had to do was squirt a little Windex, let it sit a few minutes, wipe, and no more milky mess.  (Actually, I'm not sure I even needed to wipe.)

No repainting necessary.  Turns out this was an extremely minor problem.  I just did not have the experience to know what to do.

Thanks so much to all of you for your help!

Any suggestions on what to use as a gloss coat under the decals going forward?

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 07:30:29 am »
Well, like Galaxy said, your choice of clear coat before decals is largely a matter of personal preference.  I know several very good modelers who use future like you did.  It isnt solvent resistant, but it is strong enough to use as a floor coating. 

You could easily use the testors rattlecan lacquer glosscote clearcoat (which would probably be my first choice, personal preference).  MAybe you might want to stick with future on this build since you now have the feel for it. 

Theres a nice thread ekksewhere on the site about dull coatings over future. 

Offline digitani

• Ensign
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 08:14:47 pm »
I went ahead and bought some Testor's lacquer clear gloss.  We'll see how that goes.

Offline Galaxy_Stranger

• Ensign
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2018, 03:25:15 pm »

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2018, 09:57:26 pm »
Aye!  How did she turn out?

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2018, 07:13:17 am »
Presumably, the model was left with dust settling on it, before the gloss coat was applied.

I've noticed something similar when painting models with a brush.

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2018, 08:50:42 am »
Also keep in mind that if you spray with the piece in question lying on a surface such as a piece of newspaper, cardboard or the like, air pressure can kick up tiny particles of dust and fibers that will eventually settle onto the still-wet surface.

Offline greg

• Captain
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2018, 09:31:24 pm »
I recommend getting a brush like this to dust off your model before airbrushing. It's antistatic too, which helps. For the longest time I was using a makeup brush I'd bought at the department store. I was like, "Shop smart. Shop S-Mart." But then I realized it was discharging static electricity, actually causing dust particles to stick to it. This Tamiya brush is great to have.

Enterprise © Bloc