Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Minicraft 1/350 Titanic ... Centennial Edition  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
Re: Minicraft 1/350 Titanic ... Centennial Edition
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2017, 04:39:21 am »
Just tuned back into this one and all I can say is WOW! Your attention to detail is amazing. I love the little trees inside!
You have the patience of a Saint with that PE! Your build maybe the inspiration and kick in the arse I need to pick up work on the QM2 again
Very nice work so far - Be very proud!
Si

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2017, 02:28:49 pm »
Thanks Madhatter I appreciate the vote of confidence.  :)

I finished getting the promenade walls glued down to the deck and I wanted to get an idea of how things fit.
  Overall I think it's good except for a few exceptions which have nothing to do with me ...  ::)

I fit the top deck on the walls and everything seems to be lining up pretty nicely.
061 Checking fit 1 by Kev C, on Flickr
062 checking fit 2 by Kev C, on Flickr

The challenge will come in the area shown below.
063 checking fit 3 by Kev C, on Flickr

In this area and another area further on the walls extend up past the deck. There is a real sizable gap all the way around on this upper deck where the light will just flood through, not to mention that it is a very visible gap in the deck.
065 checking fit 5 by Kev C, on Flickr

I put the 'roof/deck' on the section and took the next photo. You can see the gaps I have to contend with at some point.
064 checking fit 4 by Kev C, on Flickr

Obviously the designers of this kit never intended for this kit to be lit, let alone have people want to make it as accurate as possible, but wow! ....  ???

I have some very thin LED strips on order from HDA MOdelworx to use as lighting along the promenade decks and other small areas. Once that gets here I should be able to start getting things organized for lighting the promenade deck and move on.

Onwards and upwards!
Thanks for looking.  :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 02:32:03 pm by karve »
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2017, 12:10:48 pm »
Kevin, this is looking impressive - per your usual work!

For the gaps, I don't know if you have used or heard of Perfect Plastic Putty (PPP) but I can see it being, uh, "perfect" for filling those gaps! It has pretty good light blocking properties, depending on thickness, but it would probably be a good idea to lightblock it with paint anyway.

Keep going!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2017, 01:40:21 pm »
I don't know if you have used or heard of Perfect Plastic Putty (PPP) but I can see it being, uh, "perfect" for filling those gaps!

Thanks Steve .. I have PPP and have used it. I've also ordered a jar of Liquitex Professional Light Modeling Paste. I've heard some good things on the forum about it so I thought I'd order some and see how it goes. I may try using one of those or I have a couple other ideas bouncing around my pea brain.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:38:45 pm by karve »
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2017, 08:04:06 am »
I may try using one of those or I have a couple other ideas bouncing around my pea brain.  ;D

You said "pea brain" and all I could think about was this!

;D ;D

Keep going, Kevin! I am enjoying your build!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Enterprise © Bloc