Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New to SciFi Model Action Forum  (Read 54 times)

Offline TrekFan1701

• Ensign
New to SciFi Model Action Forum
« on: November 20, 2017, 02:23:54 pm »
Hello SMA members. I joined today because I am looking for some help with my models. I have tried pasting on facebook but got zero responses.
I came here from the TrekWorks YouTube Channel which I am a subscribed member. I live in a small town in west Texas and have limited access to a good hobby shop. The closest one might be in either El Paso or San Antonio. But since I am not very familiar with either city, I am finding it difficult to find one. :(
I have several Star Trek ship models that I would like to build but need some kind of help with them. Is there anyone out there willing to help me? I would like to hear from you.
Thanks

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
Re: New to SciFi Model Action Forum
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 04:11:20 pm »
Welcome to the group. If you are looking for help with Star Trek models then you have come to the right place. Make sure you post up your builds in the WIP section!

What are you going to work on first?
Phil

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 07:29:56 am »
Welcome to the Forum, TrekFan1701!

If you're looking for ST model building advice, THIS is the place!

Like Phil asked, "What ARE you going to work on first?"

Are you just starting out in the craft? If so, I would suggest you wait on a 1/350 Refit Enterprise until you have some skills built up. (I am!) Perhaps you might want to try something a little less complex like an Enterprise-C or an AMT 1/60 TOS Enterprise.

If you are comfortable with or a veteran of the craft, then let us know specifically how we can help. (By "we" I mean the Gurus of the site!)

We're friendly and don't bite much and the only dumb question is the one unasked!

Welcome and LLAP!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 08:29:19 pm »
Welcome to the board TrekFan1701! Lots of knowledgeable Trek builders here. You should find all sorts of advice and tips. Good luck with your builds, and make sure to post lots of pictures.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline TrekFan1701

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 02:34:30 pm »
Thanks Steve, I am still learning how to navigate this site. I couldn't see how to reply to your reply.

It has been many years since I assembled a model. I put together a small AMT original Enterprise model that was made with blue plastic and I had to paint it. I used fiber optics to light it.
Since then I put together a simple Enterprise-D where I painted most of it.

This is my first time putting together a model with the Aztec decals. I have a small Enterprise-C I started putting together that has the Aztec decals. I watched some youtube videos about applying decals since it ha been a while. It recommended using some decal solutions, which I purchased. It recommended coating the surface of the model with the preparation solution, then soaking the decal in warm water for 10 seconds and then placing the decal on the model. After placing it right where I wanted it, then dab it with a paper towel to remove excess water and then apply the softener.  It also recommended cutting large decals into smaller pieces to make it easier to apply them. I did this and the first one went pretty well, but the second was an epic failure. After soaking the decal in the warm water for 10 seconds, I went to slide it off the paper and it shattered into little pieces. So now I am stuck with what to do with this and is very discouraging.

Do you have any suggestions fro me?

Enterprise © Bloc