Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Polytranspar Pearl Essence (pearlessence?) vs Irridescent color?  (Read 77 times)

Offline Decoman

• Lieutenant
Polytranspar Pearl Essence (pearlessence?) vs Irridescent color?
« on: November 21, 2017, 03:13:57 pm »
So having recently ordered the Polar Lights Enterprise Refit model in 1:350 scale off eBay from a store, I ended up wondering what paint to use with my airbrush, and I am stuck with wondering if there is a distinct difference between the following 'Polytranspar' products.

https://www.mckenziesp.com/4-Ounce-C3465.aspx (Iridescent color, water based)

https://www.mckenziesp.com/4-Ounce-C3467.aspx (Pearl Essence color, water based)

Then, there is the question of the specific colors, which there are a few of, making me wonder what would work best for the Enterprise Refit build, which afaik makes use of: red, green, blue & gold, on top of some basic white'ish color. I don't trust the graphics provided on the webpages, neither for the brightness, or the hue.

Edit: Hm, as I look through this paint guide I bought this evening, I see that they list the Polytranspar's  "shimmering iridescent" range of paint, so I guess that might the one choice for this project.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 03:58:52 pm by Decoman »

Offline CrowTRobot

• Commander
  • I want to decide who lives and who dies!
Re: Polytranspar Pearl Essence (pearlessence?) vs Irridescent color?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 05:16:03 pm »
Edit: Hm, as I look through this paint guide I bought this evening, I see that they list the Polytranspar's  "shimmering iridescent" range of paint, so I guess that might the one choice for this project.

That's what I used (the lacquer variety) on my refit build. They're beautiful colors albeit a bit challenging to airbrush. If you get them make sure to also get the recommended thinner: you'll need a lot of it. The paint is too thick and opaque to spray straight from the bottle. You need to keep it nice & thin so you can build up the color intensity to the desired level.

Offline Decoman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 06:39:38 am »
Good tip, I was wondering about what thinner to use, or I would have to experiment on my own.

What I learned (from others ofc) with using Vallejo's range of metal colors, is that one can actually fill your paint cup with thinner, and merely add drops of metal paint, this heavily dilutes the paint (and dries quickly). Best applied tinly AND letting each spray dry, before continuing. It would be important that the underlying surface having a mirror shine.

Btw, I have some lube lying around for my treadmill and airbrush, one is silicon and the one for the airbrush is non-silicone. I am curious to learn if one could give the surface a special sheen, if gently wiping some lube over the paint, as if adding some polish to it all. I can try this myself later.

I think maybe I will test using the pearl essence white for the base color, as I wouldn't want the hull to be gray and dull.
Edit: Hm, the laquer version of the pearl essence range of "white" colors, has more color choices, while the acrylic range only has one "white" color.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 07:16:14 am by Decoman »

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 07:45:54 am »
Btw, I have some lube lying around for my treadmill and airbrush, one is silicon and the one for the airbrush is non-silicone. I am curious to learn if one could give the surface a special sheen, if gently wiping some lube over the paint, as if adding some polish to it all. I can try this myself later.

Do NOT use the silicon if you try that. Anything you put over it will fisheye horribly as the silicon beads up. And it'll take a complete strip of what you've done to get rid of it. People have used it as a combination cleaner and wax for pinball playfields, and caused later owners grief when they've attempted a restoration involving clearcoat.

Odds are also good that the non-silicon lube will cause significant problems with paint adhesion... you are talking something meant to keep two surfaces sliding freely past each other.

Enterprise © Bloc