Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Polar Lights 949 - Enterprise Refit, 1:350 scale  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Decoman

• Commander
Re: Polar Lights 949 - Enterprise Refit, 1:350 scale
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2017, 02:11:11 pm »
So, having only styrene pipe and not solid rods, I had to work with having a non centered opening in the now-filled window openings. I used the 3mm Tamiya round file to center those holes, before using my 1.8 mm drill bit.

I am not yet sure I got the shape of the long window right. I might have to widen it a little. Ofc, I've only started on this and have lots of work left, though ofc, this drilling part, doesn't really take much time. Centering the holes with my round file is a little bit tedious I think, but nothing really annoying.

Hmm, it is somewhat hard to get to evaluate if a hole is centered or not, so I will from now on, add some easily visible masking tape, to make a line along the sensor bands above and below the windows, to try get to see more easily where the center is vertically.
Edit: I can see with my eyes looking at the photo below, that the wide window below is not quite straight, so that will have to be fixed.

It could be an idea to remove some plastic to make the view ports less deep, but I am not sure how to even do that.

Update: I have ordered 'Evergreen 212' styrene 2 mm rods (rods are solid, pipes are hollowed) so that I don't have to keep using my 2.4 mm rods which require some extra work for my efforts to go anywhere.

To find a comprehensive list of Evergreen styrene products, and to know what to order, they have the stuff listed on their website:
https://evergreenscalemodels.com/
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 11:53:05 pm by Decoman »

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2018, 03:20:25 pm »
I am still waiting for the 2 mm styrene rods to arrive.

All of my major soldering / electronics stuff has arrived.

Digital variable power supply
Digital multimeter
Digital soldering station
Wiring
LED's

My 6 cm wide clear balls showed up in the mail the other day, and to my surprise, I only got x1 from the seller. Turns out, the sales ad was for just a single clear ball, and not x10 like with the 5 cm wide balls I ordered previously. Luckily, I managed to cut one of the two halve into shape without problems.

New part:

Old part:

This new part now allow there being about 1 cm free space inside the cavity, for any additional layers of diffuse material, like a flat disc. (Not to be confused with the image seen just above here.)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 04:50:58 am by Decoman »

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2018, 07:45:17 am »
Decoman, like I have said before, your attention to detail is extraordinary, enviable, and borders on obsessive! Well done!

So what do you plan to use on the Deflector to diffuse the light? Cotton balls? You said flat disc but I'm not seeing your solution in my head. Care to elaborate?

Keep going!

Fascinated!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2018, 09:16:41 am »
Thank you! :)

I will just airbrush on some vallejo matte or satin varnish, which should make the surface diffuse (rough) such that the light becomes diffused. I have yet to try out how that actually

My 2 mm wide styrene rods finally arrived today. I will spend some time figuring out if I can just fill all the holes with the 2mm styrene rods (trying it out first on a few window openings) and drill new 1.8 mm wide openings around on the ship's hull.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:22:21 am by Decoman »

Enterprise © Bloc