Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Model Lighting  (Read 999 times)

Offline greg

• Captain
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
Re: Model Lighting
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2017, 10:59:56 pm »
I have not been able to find many violet colored LEDs.
HDA Modelworx has purple/UV LEDs in many sizes. I have 5mm, 3mm, and SMDs that are violet.

I am currently working on a R-9A Arrowhead starfighter from the game R-Type. I cut out a rectangle from where I felt a the computer monitor should go in the cockpit (the kit is rather non-detailed in the cockpit) and inserted a pre-wired 3020 UV SMD from HDA. The light shines on the pilot which I painted some details with fluorescent paint to give the space suit a glow.

before

after

Definitely look at HDA to get some purple/UV LEDs.

Offline Rusty_S85

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 11:20:16 pm »
I personally never bought LEDs like what would be use for lighting up a model.  But I have bought LED bulbs off ebay in bulk from China in automotive sockets for conversions from incandescent bulbs to LED.

With that said Ive also bought diodes for circuits as well so if you are looking for specific LEDs I am sure you could find them from ebay.

For me I was going to buy strip lights from Ebay for 12V DC and run them at 9V.  Last time I checked the strip lights for 12V DC have a operating range of 6 to 24 volts.

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 12:38:02 am »
I personally never bought LEDs like what would be use for lighting up a model.  But I have bought LED bulbs off ebay in bulk from China in automotive sockets for conversions from incandescent bulbs to LED.

With that said Ive also bought diodes for circuits as well so if you are looking for specific LEDs I am sure you could find them from ebay.

For me I was going to buy strip lights from Ebay for 12V DC and run them at 9V.  Last time I checked the strip lights for 12V DC have a operating range of 6 to 24 volts.

It depends on what kind of voltages the LEDs need to operate. The lower the voltage you drive the strips at, the lower the current and the dimmer they'll be. Can be useful for making the brightness "in scale." Plus the strip will draw less current overall and the resistor on each strip won't throw out as much heat. 9V should be fine, some folks do it.

But, I wouldn't run them much over their voltage rating though. You could run the risk of pumping too much current into them and burning a few out, or at least shortening their lifespan.

Offline Rusty_S85

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 12:40:14 pm »

It depends on what kind of voltages the LEDs need to operate. The lower the voltage you drive the strips at, the lower the current and the dimmer they'll be. Can be useful for making the brightness "in scale." Plus the strip will draw less current overall and the resistor on each strip won't throw out as much heat. 9V should be fine, some folks do it.

But, I wouldn't run them much over their voltage rating though. You could run the risk of pumping too much current into them and burning a few out, or at least shortening their lifespan.

Yep I would have to check but last time I was looking at 12V DC light strips for my tool box at work I noticed they had in the specs 6V to 24V as the operating range.  I would make sure what ever I go with the 9V I want to run is with in the operating range of the light strips.  I just think a 9V power supply would be easier to find than a 12V power supply.

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 07:22:29 pm »
Yep I would have to check but last time I was looking at 12V DC light strips for my tool box at work I noticed they had in the specs 6V to 24V as the operating range.  I would make sure what ever I go with the 9V I want to run is with in the operating range of the light strips.  I just think a 9V power supply would be easier to find than a 12V power supply.

Yeah, you can buy 9-10V supplies all day, as there's a bit of a market among classic video game enthusiasts. A lot of those systems happily drink 9-10V at .5-2 amps. 12V takes a little more effort, but not by much.

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2017, 07:33:27 pm »
Just note to be careful and check the polarity of the plug, especially on older video game wall warts. Some have the "evil" center negative connector.

Enterprise © Bloc