Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Kit Bashing - Automotive style  (Read 54 times)

Online Rusty_S85

• Ensign
Kit Bashing - Automotive style
« on: November 24, 2017, 08:13:38 pm »
Ive done kit bashing as a kid before but never on the scale I am looking at right now.  I have always wanted a model of my personal vehicles I own but the closest I found back then was a '63 Impala SS which just isn't right without physical modifications.  I never took it upon myself to make the changes to convert it from a Impala to a Belair.  I might buy the kit again and give it a try.

I did just recently find a model kit called "Ford Ranger Pickup" which is a '80-'81 F-series style ranger pick up which is very close to my '82 F150.  The kit is even a flareside just like mine.  Only difference is the '82 got away from the lettering on the hood and had a Ford oval placed on the grill.  Not hard to fix so I will be doing this kit to replicate my personal truck.

But the one that still gets me is my '56 Fairlane.  I cant find not a single kit that is close that I could kit bash to make her.  '55 and '56 are the same vehicles only difference is the turn signals up front went from round to oval wrap around turn signals.  So it wouldn't be hard to make aside from the fact I would have to fabricate the rear doors as mine is the Town Sedan version.  I did find some photos of AMT '56 Crown Victoria Hardtop kits but that would need a lot of work.  Would have to cut out the stainless steel band that goes from the body over the roof.  Id also have to seal up the clear roof as well as make the rear doors.  Might not be hard to do if I used two kits but just cant find that kit to even attempt it.

So I want to ask what have others done for kit bashing when they weren't able to locate the proper models to even have a good foundation?

Online Rusty_S85

• Ensign
Re: Kit Bashing - Automotive style
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 07:51:27 pm »
Well looks like I lucked out.

I been finding a bunch of 1956 Crown Victoria kits which wouldn't be easy to convert due to the huge stainless steel trim band that loops over the roof.  Plus its a 2 door where my Town Sedan is a 4 door.

Well enter Hendrix.  I did a search for resin to see if I could just find a resin kit.  Well he sells for $40 a resin body kit that has to be used with a '56 Ford kit to complete but its a '56 Fairlane Club Sedan.  Very close to mine only difference is its a 2dr but I could in my mind slice the door handles off (if I cant find some quality photoetched handles) and glue them to the body where the rear door would be and then scribe the outline of the rear door.  Problem I might run into is the interior door panels as it wouldn't be set up for a 4dr.  Would probably have to get a couple kits so I could slice off door handles to add to the rear.  I would also have to use a some sheet styrene to make the rear window division bar between the rear roll down window and the rear stationary door glass.  Wouldn't be hard to do.

So it looks like I got a plan starting to form.  Just not sure how one would go about converting a solid interior to a opening door interior.  I also am unsure on the emblems.  I'm sure the front door is molded with Club Sedan which I would have to remove for a decal that says Town Sedan.  The rest should be fine if he has the resin kit made with the front fender having the red Thunderbird engine emblem.

Enterprise © Bloc