Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vintage Kits - Pricing? What to look for?  (Read 76 times)

Online Rusty_S85

• Ensign
Vintage Kits - Pricing? What to look for?
« on: November 26, 2017, 03:34:59 pm »
I'm browsing online mainly Ebay right now and came across some vintage kits.  Wanted to know what is fair pricing for older AMT kits?  Also curious what to look for to avoid scammers.

I found currently a old AMT car kit right now 1/25 scale for $20 + $7.81 shipping.  I just hate to have to deal with a scam or pay more than I should for a kit like this.  I would be using this kit as a parts kit for a resin body I will be ordering.  This has opening doors where as the resin kit does not have opening doors but thinking maybe I could slice out the door jambs and swap the opening door over from the kit to the resin body maybe.

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
Re: Vintage Kits - Pricing? What to look for?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 07:40:34 am »
For what you're going to do with it? If it's a kit in current production right now, no more than what the kit is going for new off the shelf.

If it's "out of print", it gets a little trickier. Some kits only have significant value because of a limited run, or because they haven't been repopped for decades, or because of a specific combination of packaging and accessories. I don't know how many of those there are in car models, because it seems like there's enough demand for most of them to at least be repopped at some point or another.

Online Rusty_S85

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 12:23:50 pm »
For what you're going to do with it? If it's a kit in current production right now, no more than what the kit is going for new off the shelf.

If it's "out of print", it gets a little trickier. Some kits only have significant value because of a limited run, or because they haven't been repopped for decades, or because of a specific combination of packaging and accessories. I don't know how many of those there are in car models, because it seems like there's enough demand for most of them to at least be repopped at some point or another.

Well this kit is the AMT 1956 Ford Victoria kit.  Ive found out that Round2 repopped it at one time but they currently are not in production.  Don't know why they are still listed on the Round 2 Site like the 1:350 scale NX01 kit.  But in any case I been looking on ebay and I been finding some of them in prices ranging from $26 after shipping up to $50 after shipping.  I found one on Amazon a private seller for a bit less money but not much.  I might go with the one from Amazon as I might have better luck against a scam than on Ebay but I use paypal either way.

The kit is going to be used for a modification.  I found a guy online by Hendrix Resin that offers a '56 Fairlane Club Sedan body and seats for the Victoria kit.  That is not exact to my '56 Fairlane Town Sedan I own but being the only difference is 2dr vs 4dr I can use the body from the Victoria kit to cut the door handles off and affix them to where the rear door handles are and scribe the outline of the rear door and modify the seats.

So this is why I am trying not to spend too much money as the resin body which is currently out of stock is $40 on top of the cost of the model.

Offline Mstowell

• Admiral
  • Gort! Barenga!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 07:15:34 pm »
Ultimately it comes down to what price you are willing to pay for the kit.
There can be a big range of $ being asked for a kit.
There is no magic formula for figuring out what a kit is worth.
You can look for what kit has sold for in the past on eBay.
I
Matt

Online Rusty_S85

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 09:57:15 pm »
Ultimately it comes down to what price you are willing to pay for the kit.
There can be a big range of $ being asked for a kit.
There is no magic formula for figuring out what a kit is worth.
You can look for what kit has sold for in the past on eBay.
I

It seems price is between $25 and $40 is what I'm seeing.  There was one for $25 but it just sold literally 2 minutes ago.  Thing is the box was already opened and I don't know I want to take a risk on a opened box.

I am keeping my eye open just don't want to fall for a scam thinking I am getting a good deal and it ends up being a scam.

Enterprise © Bloc