Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TOS E Warp Engine Motor and Running/Strobe Lights - Custom Solution  (Read 8035 times)

Offline Dogs Bollocks

• Ensign
Re: TOS E Warp Engine Motor and Running/Strobe Lights - Custom Solution
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2019, 03:44:56 pm »
LEDs arrived. The postman must have heard me complaining!
I will post back as soon as I have it all soldered and wired up.
There may be photos of finger burns.

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2019, 04:17:17 pm »
LEDs arrived. The postman must have heard me complaining!
I will post back as soon as I have it all soldered and wired up.
There may be photos of finger burns.
Good luck! Just remember to double check the polarity of the SMD LEDs before soldering.

Offline CrowTRobot

• Commander
  • I want to decide who lives and who dies!
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2019, 07:36:26 pm »
I removed the gears, which ain t easy. I did a Google search and found this http://www.robotshop.com/letsmakerobots/faulhaber-1524e006s123-motor-with-155s1411k832-gearhead-and-hes164a-encoder website which described how to remove the gear head. The Allen key did not work for me, so I had to drill out the screws very carefully so as not to put any pressure on the motor shaft.

Ross, I have the exact same motor, and I need to remove the gear box. Where did you find a screw extractor small enough to work with these tiny hex screws?

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2019, 07:59:06 pm »
I removed the gears, which ain t easy. I did a Google search and found this http://www.robotshop.com/letsmakerobots/faulhaber-1524e006s123-motor-with-155s1411k832-gearhead-and-hes164a-encoder website which described how to remove the gear head. The Allen key did not work for me, so I had to drill out the screws very carefully so as not to put any pressure on the motor shaft.

Ross, I have the exact same motor, and I need to remove the gear box. Where did you find a screw extractor small enough to work with these tiny hex screws?
I bought a Metric Allen key set, but had spotty results; sometimes it would work, and sometimes it would just strip the screw. I tried drilling them out but if you put too much perpendicular pressure on the shaft it can make it not spin smoothly. Not sure if some liquid wrench would help.

Good luck!

Offline CrowTRobot

• Commander
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2019, 09:49:28 pm »
Did you use ordinary right-handed drill bits or left-handed extraction bits? I have some small ordinary bits, but I

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2019, 06:01:58 am »
Did you use ordinary right-handed drill bits or left-handed extraction bits? I have some small ordinary bits, but I
(Your reply got cut off. This board_s software does not like single quotes, apparently)

I did not try left-handed/extraction bits - that could work way better.

Offline CrowTRobot

• Commander
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2019, 01:05:14 pm »
I just finished cutting & grinding the gear boxes off with a Dremel tool. I had to work slowly and carefully, but it did the job. I didn't have the tools to do it any other way, and I couldn't see spending money on extractors for micro-screws that I would likely never use again.

I've got all the components soldered to the circuit boards now, so it's time to do some smoke testing!

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2019, 01:10:21 pm »
I just finished cutting & grinding the gear boxes off with a Dremel tool. I had to work slowly and carefully, but it did the job. I didn't have the tools to do it any other way, and I couldn't see spending money on extractors for micro-screws that I would likely never use again.

I've got all the components soldered to the circuit boards now, so it's time to do some smoke testing!
Fantastic! Keep us updated.

Enterprise © Bloc