Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TOS E Warp Engine Motor and Running/Strobe Lights - Custom Solution  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Tshark

• Ensign
Re: TOS E Warp Engine Motor and Running/Strobe Lights - Custom Solution
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2017, 10:32:57 am »
I just ordered all the parts for the main board.  Thank you again Ross for the great documentation!  I used OSH Park for the PCB and I am very pleased so far with the ease of ordering.  I think there may be an error in the parts spreadsheet.  It calls for one 1k resistor (P/N P1.00KFCT-N/D), but also shows it being used for R3 and R4.  Since I have three PCBs being made up I ordered extra electronic components regardless.  This is going to be a great starting point for lighting the 1/650 TOS Enterprise.

I am still considering options for the nacelle lighting PCB.  I have clear bussard parts from JT Graphics and DLM (along with DLMs Waddell bussard lighting kit).  I think JT Graphics bussards are a little more accurate along with being bigger and sturdier.  Has anyone had experience with the Neopixel 144 LED strips shown here: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2969
This might be a viable solution to the nacelle PCBs.  Since each LED is RGB and addressable, it might allow for a smaller form factor along with more lighting flexibility.  If I cannot fit the strip inside the bussard it should still be possible to use it in strip form inside the nacelle and use a light box/fiber optic to the bussard.

Just my thoughts on the project so far.

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2017, 11:18:05 am »
I just ordered all the parts for the main board.  Thank you again Ross for the great documentation!  I used OSH Park for the PCB and I am very pleased so far with the ease of ordering.  I think there may be an error in the parts spreadsheet.  It calls for one 1k resistor (P/N P1.00KFCT-N/D), but also shows it being used for R3 and R4.  Since I have three PCBs being made up I ordered extra electronic components regardless.  This is going to be a great starting point for lighting the 1/650 TOS Enterprise.

I am still considering options for the nacelle lighting PCB.  I have clear bussard parts from JT Graphics and DLM (along with DLMs Waddell bussard lighting kit).  I think JT Graphics bussards are a little more accurate along with being bigger and sturdier.  Has anyone had experience with the Neopixel 144 LED strips shown here: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2969
This might be a viable solution to the nacelle PCBs.  Since each LED is RGB and addressable, it might allow for a smaller form factor along with more lighting flexibility.  If I cannot fit the strip inside the bussard it should still be possible to use it in strip form inside the nacelle and use a light box/fiber optic to the bussard.

Just my thoughts on the project so far.

You are absolutely right, Tshark - there should be 2 1k resistors. I've updated the spreadsheet in my Google Drive folder and re-zipped the whole kit-and-caboodle, too.

You have the DLM Waddell lighting kit for the 22" TOS E (Cutaway)? Guess what my last name is - that is right, I designed that circuit board for Don way back when. It uses rotating spokes to try and simulate the spinning blades. There was a modeller on CultTVMan (Ken?) that sold resin crystals that helped the illusion as long as you were really careful about the placement in front of the LEDs but also back from the domes. I made that board way back before Arduinos and mini LEDs but it should work.

Cannot wait to see what you come up with - please keep us posted here!

Offline Tshark

• Ensign
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 02:25:27 pm »
You are absolutely right, Tshark - there should be 2 1k resistors. I've updated the spreadsheet in my Google Drive folder and re-zipped the whole kit-and-caboodle, too.

You have the DLM Waddell lighting kit for the 22" TOS E (Cutaway)? Guess what my last name is - that is right, I designed that circuit board for Don way back when. It uses rotating spokes to try and simulate the spinning blades. There was a modeller on CultTVMan (Ken?) that sold resin crystals that helped the illusion as long as you were really careful about the placement in front of the LEDs but also back from the domes. I made that board way back before Arduinos and mini LEDs but it should work.

Hehe...small world and I am not surprised as it is a well thought out kit!  That kit is one of the reasons I was not too worried about the nacelle PCBs.  I bought the kit because I wanted to explore several options...and I enjoy electronics. 

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 04:07:10 pm »

Hehe...small world and I am not surprised as it is a well thought out kit!  That kit is one of the reasons I was not too worried about the nacelle PCBs.  I bought the kit because I wanted to explore several options...and I enjoy electronics.

;)

Offline rmpitzer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 07:19:45 am »
Correct. If yours is anything like mine, the rear part of the motor is the encoder (which you do not need but do not try to remove it - I tried it and ruined one) and the gear housing attached to the motor shaft made it 90 degrees.
I received my motors yesterday,  I was surprised how quickly I received them since they were shipped overseas.  They look like they may be a little longer than yours....here's a pic of one of them...

It's actually too long to fit between the bussard motor housing and the pylon mounting point.  To use these, it looks like I'll have to grind away at the back of the bussard motor housing, which I was hoping I wouldn't need to do.   :-\
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 07:27:17 am by rmpitzer »

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 08:45:01 am »
Correct. If yours is anything like mine, the rear part of the motor is the encoder (which you do not need but do not try to remove it - I tried it and ruined one) and the gear housing attached to the motor shaft made it 90 degrees.
I received my motors yesterday,  I was surprised how quickly I received them since they were shipped overseas.  They look like they may be a little longer than yours....here's a pic of one of them...

It's actually too long to fit between the bussard motor housing and the pylon mounting point.  To use these, it looks like I'll have to grind away at the back of the bussard motor housing, which I was hoping I wouldn't need to do.   :-\

Even with the shorter motor shaft that my motors have, I still needed to grind away the back of the cap to make the motor fit between the pylon connection. I cut down the circular part and the flat part to allow the motor to fit (I would post a photo but I'm at work). I think you could do the same, and the only difference would be that whatever you decide to connect to your motor shaft to spin the inner dome would need to sit a little higher.

Offline rmpitzer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 09:16:11 am »
OK, thanks Ross.....It ALMOST fits, so it doesn't look like it needs much grinding.  The shaft being longer means I won't be able use the bearings you mention, but I have some other bearings that may work well.  I'll post an update when I mock it all up.

-Rich

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 08:32:53 pm »
I removed approx. 1/8 inch to get my Faulhaber motor to fit:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/rwaddell/YJE66o
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 08:35:46 pm by RossW »

Offline rmpitzer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 08:35:58 am »
Well, the Faulhaber motors I bought spin VERY slow, so it's looking like they won't be useful at all.  I guess I should have paid more attention to the 485:1 gear ratio.

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 09:21:52 am »
Well, the Faulhaber motors I bought spin VERY slow, so it's looking like they won't be useful at all.  I guess I should have paid more attention to the 485:1 gear ratio.

What voltage are you applying? Even though it is rated for 6V you can run them at 9V or 12V and adjust the speed as necessary with the trim pot.

Offline rmpitzer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2017, 10:31:31 am »
I was afraid to put more than 6 volts on them.  I can certainly try more and see if the speed is something I can use.

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2017, 12:05:22 pm »
I was afraid to put more than 6 volts on them.  I can certainly try more and see if the speed is something I can use.
I have run mine at both 9V and 12V, and they are fine since I am not using the maximum PWM value of 255 (trim pot not at Max).

Offline rmpitzer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2017, 12:35:02 pm »
Do you know what the gear ratio on yours is?

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2017, 04:37:08 pm »
Do you know what the gear ratio on yours is?

I think mine are 141:1

Enterprise © Bloc