Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TOS E Warp Engine Motor and Running/Strobe Lights - Custom Solution  (Read 3094 times)

Offline RossW

• Captain
Re: TOS E Warp Engine Motor and Running/Strobe Lights - Custom Solution
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2017, 09:13:26 pm »
Hi Ross, I'm trying to put together the main board and I'm having trouble finding which capacitor goes in the C7 spot on the back of the board.  I don't see it on your parts list, but I can see something is installed there on your photos.

There is no C7 - there is a C5 (0.1uF, 1206 SMD) on the back of the board but that's it. Where did you see that?

EDIT: I think I know what's happened - I renumbered all the parts after taking the photos, so if you're looking at the JPEGs in my Google Drive folder you see a "C7" on the back of the board, but that's now C5. Go by the parts list and the schematic.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 09:15:37 pm by RossW »

Offline Tshark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2018, 02:32:40 pm »
Hi Ross, I'm trying to put together the main board and I'm having trouble finding which capacitor goes in the C7 spot on the back of the board.  I don't see it on your parts list, but I can see something is installed there on your photos.

There is no C7 - there is a C5 (0.1uF, 1206 SMD) on the back of the board but that's it. Where did you see that?

EDIT: I think I know what's happened - I renumbered all the parts after taking the photos, so if you're looking at the JPEGs in my Google Drive folder you see a "C7" on the back of the board, but that's now C5. Go by the parts list and the schematic.

I just soldered up the main board.  As posted above be sure to follow the schematic with special attention to the capacitors.  C5 (parts list/schematic) is soldered in the C7 position on the back of the board and C1 (parts list/schematic) is soldered in the C4 position on the board.  Everything else seems correct.

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2018, 05:16:21 pm »
Note that I updated the parts list spreadsheet to match the Eagle schematic/board. So, when you order the board the part #s will match the parts list.

Offline Tshark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2018, 05:45:18 pm »
I think I have made some pretty good progress on the lighting and animation of my 1/650 TOS Enterprise bussards.  Everything is still in the bench test stage, but here is what I have so far. 

I started by using the Adafruit NeoPixel LED Side Light Strip (120 LED per meter).  This side emitting RGB LED strip uses SMD LED's and the appropriate resistors for a 5 volt power input.  I cut this strip into two segments of 19 LED's each, rolled them up and applied hot glue to the back edge of the tape to maintain the shape.  These segments fit nicely into the nacelles.  I probably could have fit 20 or 21 LED's within each nacelle, but I wanted enough open space in the center of the roll to put in a drive shaft for the rotors if I decided to motorize them.  A power lead, ground lead, and data lead are soldered at the end of each strip.  This gives me 19 LED's in each nacelle that are individually addressable so I can control color, brightness, and animation.

The big surprise came when I was playing with the strip test animations (provided by the Adafruit Neopixel library) and the rotors (Paragraphix photoetch) I have on hand.  By using the TheaterChase animation on the strips and adjusting the distance of the rotors from the frosted bussard domes, the shadows of the rotors now appear to rotate within the domes.  Think of how a shadow on a wall moves as you pass by it with a flashlight...same principle.  By soldering the leads to the center end of the roll in one nacelle and outer end of the roll in the other nacelle I now have clockwise and counter clockwise rotation of the TheaterChase animation hence, counter rotating rotor effect.  This is all controlled by one data pin on the Arduino.  I spent some time watching the re-mastered TOS Star Trek with the bench test in front of me.  In addition to adjusting the overall bussard color and animation speed, I changed a couple of the LED's to blue and green within the animation.

I am currently using this lighting with the JT-Graphics Bussard domes, but have also tried it with DLM's Bussard domes.  It looks good on both.  For me this set-up is much simpler, has less weight, is easier fix, and it is dead silent compared to using motors on the rotors. 

I plan to post pictures, Arduino sketch, and hopefully a video of the animation soon.  Does anyone have suggestions on how to film the bussards without them being overexposed?  I have tried night and bright day settings along with different ISO's on my digital camera with little success.

Enterprise © Bloc