Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Best/favorite model supply website  (Read 636 times)

Offline whb64

• Captain
Best/favorite model supply website
« on: April 26, 2017, 08:23:04 pm »
It always seems like modeling websites have a variety of some items but not all or even the most used.

What is  everyone's favorite website for getting supplies?  I'd like to be able to order from one place rather than multiple sites and then wait on everything to come in separate packages.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: Best/favorite model supply website
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 07:54:59 am »
I really hate it when I have written a great thing and it is all destroyed by the use of ONE COMMA!

Sorry guys!

Believe it or not, my favorite website is still Amazon. Of course, what I have been buying there is basics stuff, Micro-sol, Micro-mask, LEDs and such.

For the more complex stuff, After market add on's, I have used

JtGraphics I have ordered accurized parts for my next 1/650 TOS Enterprise build as well as some decals. The resin products are excellent as are the decals. But the decals, printed in a moire pattern, really make it hard to piece the decal together; especially when trying to fit a standard decal to a customized model. The decals took quite a while to arrive as they are in the middle of relocating and getting up and running again.

DLM models is trying to decide if he will be shuttering his business. He makes some good parts. I ordered some which also took a long time to arrive. I figured since is he trying to decide about his future, alot of modelers have done some panic buying and have put him behind the power curve in order fulfillment and that is why it took so long to get mine.

HDA Modelworx I ordered some SMDs from him and I had them in my hot little hand by the end the same week. I'm sure the fact that I live and Texas and so does he, might have influenced the delivery speed but not by much.

CultTVman.com I preordered the smooth saucer for the Polar Lights 1/350 TOS Enterprise. Houston USPS didn't deliver and rather than try again, sent it back to CultTVman. Steve put it back in the mail, followed up to make sure I got it okay and didn't charge me extra. If you wanna preorder something, this is usually the place.

Some other places I have not used

Federation Models Federation Models have a lot of stuff but are more like a middle man for one man shop operators. You order from them, they order from the vendor like JTGraphics.

TenaControls is a site for some excellent electronics. Ralph runs the shop and provides personalized customer service. One poster had some electronics shipped overseas. When the part arrived, the customer called Ralph and Ralph stepped him through some troubleshooting. When it wasn't going to work, Ralph shipped him another at, I think, no charge and then followed up to make sure it worked.

All your choice. Hope this helps

AND that is posts THIS TIME!!

Steve
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 01:15:26 pm by MSgtUSAFRet »
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline RaveN

• Captain
  • You under estimate the power of styrene and glue..
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 11:34:21 am »

Offline Plaztek

• Lieutenant
  • This is about saving the future of humanity!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 11:48:28 am »
Like Steve said Amazon is good for getting certain things. There really is no one CATCH all that I use.
Once in a while I'll hit EvilBay to see what's available for model kits and have had some luck finding kits at very reasonable prices. Open box kits for hard to find (very overpriced) models and sellers who don't know what they have. One seller was local to me that I actually emailed them to meet me in person and avoided the shipping charges. $20 Klingon Vor'cha, score!
I also have used Tower Hobbies. They sent me $10 off coupon and I used it towards a limited time deal they had for specific models that had free shipping. I got a Moebius Pegasus for about $40 bucks its usually around $60 plus shipping. There are also ones like Cultman TV who have good deals and also let you know when new stuff is coming out but shipping is a killer due because I live on the opposite coast.
I try to avoid online purchase when possible unless its way cheaper. So I'll hit up Hobby Lobby as well. I always print out their 40% off coupons before I go. I picked up two Klingon BoP's for $18 a piece. The last time I went they even had Bandai Star Wars kits. I'm actually going tomorrow to pick some up. I also check around my local Hobby shops to see what they have because you never know what you might find.
Otherwise for tools and things, Harbor Freight has small hand tools cheap, dollar stores can have some useful things and even womens make-up sections.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 11:50:32 am by Plaztek »
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your little quest. Captain Ahab has to go hunt his whale!

Offline Decoman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 06:53:28 am »
Living in Europe, I like this Polish online store, which ships your small stuff, in small envelopes, for a sensible shipping fee. I normally buy only brass barrels there:
http://www.super-hobby.com/

Other than than I use eBay, a lot.

Enterprise © Bloc