Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First build, not sure where to start  (Read 413 times)

Offline Paco318

• Ensign
First build, not sure where to start
« on: December 28, 2017, 04:26:17 pm »
I bought a 1:1400 Voyager 3 piece model set that includes a Kazon raider and Maquis ship. This will be my first model build and I don't really know where to start. I had planned on maybe tackling the smaller ships first since they are a bit simpler. I don't have any materials so I wanted to head down to hobby lobby and pick up some paints, brushes, glue etc. but i'm a bit unsure of what i should get.

So for my list of what I plan on buying is:
Tamiya Gray Plastic and metal surface primer in a spray can
Tamiya putty basic type
Tamiya extra thin cement
Testors 4 ounce universal acrylic thinner
Hobby brush set
sand paper of file set
Tamiya masking tape
Testors acrylic paints

The instructions for the set list about 16 different colors, should I try to find and buy all of these colors individually or buy a set of primary colors and mix them to what I need and then purchase some of the more specialized colors such as copper, robins egg blue, military brown separately.

I also have a few questions about the build process. So first I wash the parts with a mild dish soap and let them dry, then I fit the pieces and join them. Once joined I can sand down any prominent seams and fill any gaps with putty. Once this is done I can spray the pieces with primer and once dry start painting/detailing.

Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure I am doing everything right and have it planned out before I start this set.

Any advice and comments are appreciated! :)

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
Re: First build, not sure where to start
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 08:08:22 pm »
Yes, washing the kit before you start painting is always recommended.

I normally prime the separate pieces before I glue them together, then once you glue them together the edges can be sanded and then touched up with more primer (and then sanded again if required after its dried). I also keep pieces that end up different colors separate until they are painted if I can avoid it.

As far as which colors to buy, its up to you. I like to use premixed colors most of the time because I don't have to worry about mixing too little and not having enough to finish the build. But for colors I'm really picky about (the Hull for example) I mix it myself. 

Post some pics of your model if you can. Its always great to see!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 08:13:26 pm by Tiburon »
Phil

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 09:14:57 pm »
Tamiya make pretty decent supplies in my opinion. Some people use other types of putties, like Bondo red automotive putty or Squadron putty,
but give Tamiya a try. It should sand smooth and not flake or crumble if applied properly.

How many times you putty/sand/prime will depend on how tolerant of seams you are.

If you're hand brushing on the acrylic, you might not need to use the thinner. I use thinner mainly for airbrushing.
Try not to brush over the same area too much while hand brushing with acrylics. That can help to limit brush strokes.

Overall, don't be afraid to make some mistakes, especially for your first build.

Offline Paco318

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 01:25:46 pm »
Thank you both for the advice! I will be hand brushing so probably wont buy thinner and will try to keep brush strokes to a minimum. I will also prime them before gluing them together, I might keep the pieces together since all three are a pretty uniform color for the base coat of each ship. Will also try and find individual colors especially since I would like to do more Star Trek models especially a lighted one.

I'll make sure to start a WIP post once I start building! :D

Enterprise © Bloc