Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C  (Read 8532 times)

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
Re: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2018, 08:34:45 pm »
Greetings!

Any special plans for painting the circles?

Star - "special" plans?! No. I would like to think that after masking my Protector almost anything should be easier.  ;)

But, as is my ususal habit, it may be more difficult than I think. Angryscifimodeler placed peices of masking tape where he wanted them and then, taking a sharp xacto knife, he cut the tape following the gridlines on the saucer.
I may have to experiment with the technique before I mix my paint, but I surmise the most difficult part will be trying to figure out which color to paint when. The color scheme I am thinking of using and for which I have already bought the paint
is light grey base coat, then medium grey with a touch of true blue, followed by dark gray with a hint of blue. The life pods will be closer to sand color, I think, than grey and then some detail painting last.

Steve I had an idea for this that I haven't tried yet, if you would be interested. 

This circle cutter might be able to make some precise circular masks on frisket film, masking tape, or stencil film.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006HUJ0S/ref=asc_df_B0006HUJ0S5439661/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B0006HUJ0S&linkCode=df0&hvadid=219491607334&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12509597135874658015&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030458&hvtargid=pla-392986026905

I bought one of these this week to try to make a mask for the gold circle on the belly of the K'Tinga (but I havn't gotten to that point yet).

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2018, 07:44:10 am »
Greetings!

Any special plans for painting the circles?

Star - "special" plans?! No. I would like to think that after masking my Protector almost anything should be easier.  ;)

But, as is my ususal habit, it may be more difficult than I think. Angryscifimodeler placed peices of masking tape where he wanted them and then, taking a sharp xacto knife, he cut the tape following the gridlines on the saucer.
I may have to experiment with the technique before I mix my paint, but I surmise the most difficult part will be trying to figure out which color to paint when. The color scheme I am thinking of using and for which I have already bought the paint
is light grey base coat, then medium grey with a touch of true blue, followed by dark gray with a hint of blue. The life pods will be closer to sand color, I think, than grey and then some detail painting last.

Steve I had an idea for this that I haven't tried yet, if you would be interested. 

This circle cutter might be able to make some precise circular masks on frisket film, masking tape, or stencil film.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006HUJ0S/ref=asc_df_B0006HUJ0S5439661/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B0006HUJ0S&linkCode=df0&hvadid=219491607334&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12509597135874658015&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030458&hvtargid=pla-392986026905

I bought one of these this week to try to make a mask for the gold circle on the belly of the K'Tinga (but I havn't gotten to that point yet).

Star, thanks for the technique and tip! Just curious, though. Do you know if it can cut circles as large as 7" in diameter? Since the saucer on this thing is roughly 8" in diameter, I figure I will need at least a 7" wide mask at best.

Let me know what you think.

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2018, 07:15:36 pm »
Star, thanks for the technique and tip! Just curious, though. Do you know if it can cut circles as large as 7" in diameter? Since the saucer on this thing is roughly 8" in diameter, I figure I will need at least a 7" wide mask at best.

Let me know what you think.

Steve

The cutter's diameter is variable between one and eight inches.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
« Reply #108 on: April 19, 2018, 08:51:18 pm »
I did a test cut with this today on some "Martha Stewart" adhesive stencil film. 

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2018, 07:16:33 am »
NICE! Thanks for the demo, Star!

I'm definitely going to go pick one up!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #110 on: April 21, 2018, 03:28:30 pm »
This is looking really great!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #111 on: April 21, 2018, 03:40:24 pm »
I recently acquired an oval/circle cutter, and the minimum size it will cut is 3x4", so probably 1/1000 and bigger.  I'm guessing.  It's available on a loan basis if desired.  Most of the time it will just be sitting here....
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline greg

• Captain
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2018, 12:10:36 am »
IIRC, the instructions for this kit calls for Model Master Russian Flanker blue colors to paint the rings. These paints were available only in enamel and have since been discontinued. Testors has really scaled back on their Model Master enamel paints and are focusing more on their acrylics.

Tamiya has special flexible masking tape for curves. If I was to try cutting out a large disc, I am not sure if I could line it up right on the Enterprise. Y'know, me being a spaz and all.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2018, 08:38:18 am »

Greetings Fellow Modelers!

I finally felt like I could put first glue on this project! More on that in a bit!

This is looking really great!

Thanks Neil! I was hoping to this one done for and IPMS show this weekend, but RL kinda hit me so that didn't happen. Still pushing forward!

I recently acquired an oval/circle cutter, and the minimum size it will cut is 3x4", so probably 1/1000 and bigger.  I'm guessing.  It's available on a loan basis if desired.  Most of the time it will just be sitting here....

Thanks Scott! I'll send you a PM about it! :)

IIRC, the instructions for this kit calls for Model Master Russian Flanker blue colors to paint the rings. These paints were available only in enamel and have since been discontinued. Testors has really scaled back on their Model Master enamel paints and are focusing more on their acrylics.

Tamiya has special flexible masking tape for curves. If I was to try cutting out a large disc, I am not sure if I could line it up right on the Enterprise. Y'know, me being a spaz and all.

Yeah, Greg, thanks for the heads up! Since I am not going with the "on-screen" painting scheme, I am not too concerned with the Russian Flanker blue colors. I took my artist wife
to the LHS and she helped me pick out the paints already. Hopefully, I have enough to finish. We'll see.

I have been working alot on the model, alot of planning and alot of internal lighting work. I have to send my board back for repairs, but I am still gonna wire it up as if I won't
smoke the next one, too.

During on the many light tests I am doing, I noticed the Bridge, or B/C deck, wasn't really showing like I would have liked. So I added yet another LED to the B/C deck; as shown.

Bridge Light
20180413_062648

I was also able to re-apply primer to K-9's head (aka Impulse Engines), the Planetary Sensor, and the Deflector Dish. I let them set for nearly a week before I even touched them again. Lesson learned.
The Deflector dish is not exactly symetrical around the intaglio surface rim. I am not sure it will look correct when I get it painted so that may be a fin modification if it isn't.

K9
20180413_211957

Deflector Dish
20180419_160038

I worked on the stand was well. I needed to see if the nuts were going to sit flat against the hull and internally as well. I did some mods to the internal secondary hull to ensure
that would be the case. I also checked to see if the external nut will clear the secondary hull's ventral phaser array; it does. Whew!

Stand Work
20180419_155227

The primer on the nacelle supports finally set so I started placement of the wires for the nacelles. I wanted to have solder joints in the supports but there isn't enough room between the pieces to allow it.
So I had to run the wires and then solder the connections outside the part. Since these will go inside the secondary hull, I'mm not really worried about appearances.

Cable Management
20180422_194224

So here is the first glue on the project! Hurray! I know it may seem like a small milestone but after spending so much time planning and dry test fitting parts together to see if
I have accounted for most variables, I finally felt comfortable with gluing this piece closed! Yeay!

First Glue Nacelle Pylons
20180423_042225

I know it may seem like all I am doing at this point is light tests, but this is a cool pic that reminded me of the TOS Enterprise angle! Hope you like it!

Cool Pic Light test
20180413_211149

That's all for now.

Thanks for reading and commenting! I appreciate the feedback and support!

Good luck on your builds!

Steve

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 08:41:42 am by MSgtUSAFRet »

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2018, 10:48:00 am »
The light test looks awesome.  That is going to look really cool when you are done.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline jmilesmusicman

• Commander
« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2018, 07:44:58 pm »
Hi Steve,

I'm loving this WIP! Thank you for all the creative brain food you are sending our way on this! I'm getting ready to start my E-C shortly and was wondering if you have a catalog of colors you are using on the paint job - sorry if I missed it earlier? Also, what brand of paints you are using. Again, thanks for the great WIP!

James
Start where you are.
Use what you have.
Do what you can.

Anonymous

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2018, 07:08:36 am »
Awesome!

Always nice to see hard work and determination paying off!

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2018, 01:25:24 pm »
Steve, I laughed when you said you're just now putting glue to plastic after eight pages of posts!  Maybe on one of my next builds I'll omit the lighting and build the kit in say, an afternoon;)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2018, 07:35:23 am »
Greetings All!

It is astounding in that writing out your thoughts and trying to answer questions about your build reveals potential "gotchas" to you! Some are "Oh! I See!" and others are "Oh, I see..." More below.

The light test looks awesome.  That is going to look really cool when you are done.

Shawn

Thanks, Shawn! That's the plan!

Awesome!

Always nice to see hard work and determination paying off!

Thanks, Spencer! It had better pay-off! This one seems to keep getting longer and longer - like my Protector did! AAAAgggaaaaahhhh! :D

Steve, I laughed when you said you're just now putting glue to plastic after eight pages of posts!  Maybe on one of my next builds I'll omit the lighting and build the kit in say, an afternoon;)

Al, Dude! Long time, no read! Whatcha buildin?! Yeah, I know. Sometimes I think I go into too much detail and post too often; especailly when I see others completing what seems like
three models to my one! ;D   I always intend not to make any mods and build OOB but, for some reason, (insanity?!) I can't seem to help myself. :D  As for you omitting lighting, uh...yeah...right! :)

Hi Steve,

I'm loving this WIP! Thank you for all the creative brain food you are sending our way on this! I'm getting ready to start my E-C shortly and was wondering if you have a catalog of colors you are using on the paint job - sorry if I missed it earlier? Also, what brand of paints you are using. Again, thanks for the great WIP!

James

James, Thanks and Welcome to the thread! Thanks also for your kind words!

You pose an interesting question that will take most of this post to answer! (Forgive me Al! :)  )

I am not doing the Flanker Russian Blue scheme as shown on the studio models and as recommended by the model's painting instructions.

I am going for this overall look, though:

I like the subtle paint scheme here rather than the, IMHO, "cartoonish" paint scheme used on the studio model. I think I will have to mix in some "purple" to blue up the grey; I hope. I want to keep the color shifts within the same pallet/family. There will be the accent colors i.e. insignia yellow, outlines of red - so it won't be flat. At least that's the plan.

To achieve this, I took my artist spouse to the LHS and came home with the following.

OVERALL BASE COLOR = Model Master Enamel Paint - Light Ghost Gray - 1728 ("B" on the instructions sheet)

LT GRAY INDICATIONS = Model Master Acryl Paint - Dark Gray - 4754 ("D" on the instructions sheet)

DK GRAY INDICATIONS = Model Master Enamel Paint - Dark Gull Gray - 1740 ("E" on the instructions sheet)

ESCAPE PODS, WHITE SQUARES = Model Master Acryl Paint - Sand - 4720 Sand ("A" on the instructions sheet)

Although, and this is what I was writing about earlier, while putting this list together, I realized half my paints are Acrylic and the other are Enamel. AAAAAggggaaahhhh!

I could so a bit more thinking and see if the colors I have can be laid down in such a way as to avoid the orange skin texture - not sure I wanna do that. I will probably end up using acrylic only to avoid any potential disasters.

Welp, back to the LHS!

Steve

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
    • Cameron's Decals and Such
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2018, 10:27:44 am »
If you let your acrylics cure then seal with a clear coat you can put the enamels over them with no problems.
Just don't put them directly on the acrylics with out something in between.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Enterprise © Bloc