Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C  (Read 5804 times)

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
Re: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C
« Reply #135 on: May 30, 2018, 08:16:07 pm »
That thing is looking good!

Offline RockyD88

• Captain
« Reply #136 on: May 31, 2018, 09:01:06 am »
That looks awesome, I am digging on the lighting :)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • No matter where you go, there you are.
« Reply #137 on: May 31, 2018, 06:49:25 pm »
Looking great!  Saw this kit in a hobby store yesterday and seriously thought about adding it to the (ever growing!) stash.  I had fun tweaking some arduino code to simulate the nav lights and strobes, maybe a knock off of what Tena sells.

This ship is looking great Steve.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #138 on: June 01, 2018, 07:41:02 am »
That is cool about all the Star Trek stuff you have Steve.  A true fan.

The ship is looking great.   The lighting is fantastic.  Way to go!

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #139 on: June 02, 2018, 05:58:34 am »
The window lighting looks really crisp, Steve!  I see you used styrene sheet to further diffuse the DLM parts -- was it because the color in the clear blue part was uneven, or were you trying to remove the "bulb effect" from the LED strip lights?  In fact, I'm trying to decide whether to sand, frost paint or add a diffuser to my Maquis clear DLM parts.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #140 on: June 02, 2018, 03:58:27 pm »
Hey Guys (and Ladies!)

Star and Rocky, thanks for the words of praise! It's nice to know other builders appreciate my work!  ;D

Looking great!  Saw this kit in a hobby store yesterday and seriously thought about adding it to the (ever growing!) stash.  I had fun tweaking some arduino code to simulate the nav lights and strobes, maybe a knock off of what Tena sells.

This ship is looking great Steve.

Scott, thanks, Dude! I would love to see what you can do with this kit! Bet it would be awesome!

I took come Java classes in college as part of my computer courses and, in looking at Arduino's programming language, it looks very familar. I started to look into it, too, once I burned up a TenaControls board. I love his kits, BTW, but it would be cool to program my own. OT, I would love to make a 1/350 refit program that comes alive like the TMP prelaunch sequence; all timed to the music. THAT is my goal for model building and programming!)

The window lighting looks really crisp, Steve!  I see you used styrene sheet to further diffuse the DLM parts -- was it because the color in the clear blue part was uneven, or were you trying to remove the "bulb effect" from the LED strip lights?  In fact, I'm trying to decide whether to sand, frost paint or add a diffuser to my Maquis clear DLM parts.

Al, I added the styrene to try and further defuse the engine LEDs. I scuffed up the LEDs and, even with the scuffed LEDS and DLM parts, the "spotlight" showed through. The windows are crisp because they are simple holes in the ship. In my TOS Romulan BoP and Protector, I placed thin styrene behind the windows to spread the light, but it made masking with liquid masking fluid and painting them very difficult.

For the C, I'm gonna leave them open and then, after painting, I'm going to use Krystal Klear to fill in the windows. Either that or Elmers white school glue. I haven't decided yet - I need to do some testing.

Just so this isn't an all writing post, in between filling holes and defects with putty, I started cutting out the badge/insignia that's gonna go on the display stand. I am using 0.40mm flat sheet styrene as the source material. I hope to paint it tomorrow and assemble it soon.

Here's the cut outs:

For the EC display stand.

This will be a nice distraction while the putty sets.

Lemme know what you think!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #141 on: June 04, 2018, 07:51:38 am »
And now, with color (or paint - your choice! :)  )

For the display stand.
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline jwood314

• Captain
« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2018, 09:51:45 pm »
Looking great!

Random question, how do you like using those Irwin clamps?  Were you ever afraid of over clampage?

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #143 on: June 05, 2018, 12:25:31 pm »
Looking great!

Random question, how do you like using those Irwin clamps?  Were you ever afraid of over clampage?

Thanks James!

As for the Irwin Clamps - I kinda like them. I think they allow me to apply the amount of pressure I want rather than the pre-selected clamping strength of a clothes pen or black and orange clamp. When I am using the Irwins, I now know to make sure the model either rests on the clamp itself or the model is supported in such a way as it doesn't bear the weight of the Irwin.

If I could find smaller ones, I would use them. But Lowe's doesn't seem to make them smaller. (Humm....maybe I should look on the Irwin site. humm...)

Anyway, good question.

Thanks for following along.

Steve

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #144 on: June 16, 2018, 11:08:02 am »
Wow Steve! This has come on leaps and bounds. Your patience with the windows reminds me of my first build (Voyager) - now that was painful, as it was all done with a pin vice drill, before I got my Dremel :s Yours look so much cleaner!

I'm going to have a look for some of those Irwin Clamps in the U.K. too!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • No matter where you go, there you are.
« Reply #145 on: June 17, 2018, 09:47:59 am »
one thought to diffuse light--a small tuft of cotton.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Enterprise © Bloc