Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C  (Read 12134 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C (So it begins)
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 07:37:25 am »
The 1/1400 looks like more fun than my 1/2500  :)

I like the work on the portholes/windows in the engineering section. 

Thanks, Scott! The 1/1400 is certainly big enough to allow my fat fingers room to work!

"Greetings Starfighter."  Hah!  "It was a mobile cave, but ours never went anywhere."

Glad you caught that greeting!  ;D
I guess I'm a big enough nerd to know and like those 80's SciFi movies - especially this one!

Grig: [looking at Alex in uniform] "Ah! Now you look human!"

Steve

"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2017, 02:04:35 pm »
Were'nt you recruited by the Star League?

I always thought the "C" was the ugly duckling of the Enterprises but looking forward to seeing this one come together mate.
Iain

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2017, 06:05:18 am »
The Enterprise B is growing on me, but to me that one is the odd man out and ugly duckling out of all the Enterprise designs.  I rank them (my opinion) The Constitution Refit, then the NX-01, then the D, TOS, D and C, E and last the B.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 05:56:07 pm »
From a masking perspective, the C is nice because the saucer is a circle instead of some other odd shape. 

The other thing going for the C is that it showed up in one of the BEST TNG episodes.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 07:37:17 am »
Happy New Year, Modelers!!

After driving 32 hours roundtrip to see the family, I didn't have a lot of free time to model. But I do know, Kansas is FAAH-LAAAAT! ;)

But I did get some time to do the mind numbing work of drilling some windows. More on that in a bit.

Were'nt you recruited by the Star League?

Why yes, yes I was! ;)

I always thought the "C" was the ugly duckling of the Enterprises but looking forward to seeing this one come together mate.

Cheers, Iain! I actually like the C and would go so far as to say I think the producers should have used this design for the Enterprise TNG rather than the design they did. The C harkens back the TOS (my favorite) in the cylindrical secondary hull and the circular saucer; it LOOKS like the Enterprise. While I respect the D, I probably will not build one. Just my opinion. Thanks for dropping in an watching the build, though!

The Enterprise B is growing on me, but to me that one is the odd man out and ugly duckling out of all the Enterprise designs.  I rank them (my opinion) The Constitution Refit, then the NX-01, then the D, TOS, D and C, E and last the B.

wbh64, yeah, I'm not too keen on the B either but, like stated above, I respect it as canon, but probably won't build this one either.

From a masking perspective, the C is nice because the saucer is a circle instead of some other odd shape. 

The other thing going for the C is that it showed up in one of the BEST TNG episodes.

Yeah, Scott, I think "Yesterday's Enterprise" episode (S03E15) is one of the better episodes out there! The circular design of the saucer is a plus and the grid lines really help with mask placement! (I haven't gotten that far yet but I am hoping this is true!  :-\ )

I did mange to get the STBD side window drilled out before a crippling blow was dealt. I know I need to do some clean up but I had to show some progress.

20180101_113736

I was planning to get going on the ventral saucer when I broke my one and only 0.70mm pin vice drill bit, so I will have to work on something else for a bit - probably the lighting scheme.

I ordered some more drill bits and I took Spencer's advice and ordered these:
https://www.micromark.com/12-piece-Micro-File-Set?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInfLB-7H01wIV3ISzCh13oAeMEAQYASABEgI5pPD_BwE

I hope they are smaller than the microfiles I already have. The ones I have are too large. We'll see.

Till then, thanks for following and commenting! All comments and constructive criticisms are appreciated!

Steve

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 09:12:11 am by MSgtUSAFRet »
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 08:40:40 am »
Looks good so far Steve.  Sorry about breaking the bit.  Those things are so small anyway it's hard to even use them.   I liked the link for the mico files.  I might have to get some of those.

Also...  I agree on the C.  I thought the design was great.  I never did like the D.  It always looks so awkward to me.  Some of the shots showing it swinging around made the saucer look like it was bending away from the primary hull.  I hate to say it but it just looks silly.   The E however.....(drooling).  I think that thing looks awesome.

Still.. nothing compares to the T.O.S. and the A   I love both of those.

Onward and upward.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 08:42:10 am »
I have a pic of the same files I ordered for my new build.
Hope they're small enough for you, those windows are tiny:-\

Looking good so far!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 08:37:49 pm »
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2018, 07:21:45 am »
Hailing Frequencies Open! Hey, Modelers!

I agree on the C.  I thought the design was great.

Still.. nothing compares to the T.O.S. and the A   I love both of those.

Shawn

Thanks for the props, Shawn!

Yeah, I still think the original Enterprise design is still the best. The Refit is awesome, but the "...no bloody A, B, or C..." version is, and always will be, my favorite!

I have a pic of the same files I ordered for my new build.
Hope they're small enough for you, those windows are tiny:-\

Looking good so far!

Thanks for the support, Spencer. The pic you showed looks like the Testors micro files I picked up from LHS, so...we'll see if the ones I ordered are any smaller. And, "Yes", those windows are tiny.  :-\

I get my small drill bits from CML Supply.
https://www.cmlsupply.com/mini-micro-drill-bit-70-hss-pack-of-6-usa-made/

@Scott - thanks for the alternate source for the drill bits. The ones I ordered from Amazon are supposed to be dental quality and hopefully will be made of sturdier stuff than the last set I had. If not, I can foresee ordering alot from this place instead.

However, I just got an email stating the bits should be here next week so I will be back at it then.

Thanks, as always, for the comments and suggestions! They are all very much appreciated!

Steve

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2018, 05:33:13 pm »

[quote
@Scott - thanks for the alternate source for the drill bits. The ones I ordered from Amazon are supposed to be dental quality and hopefully will be made of sturdier stuff than the last set I had. If not, I can foresee ordering alot from this place instead.
[/quote]

Dental quality!  Hah!  The drill bits will be too big!  More pain that way!  ;D

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2018, 07:19:47 am »
Good Monday, Fellow Modelers!

Dental quality!  Hah!  The drill bits will be too big!  More pain that way!  ;D

@Scott! LOL! Yep you are correct in that Professional Torturers, aka "Dentists", seem to enjoy inflicting pain! I worked with them for 15 years. I know whereof I speak!  ;D ;D ;D

I got the dental burs in the mail Friday and found they wouldn't fit in my pin vice - the shank was too big. (You were right, Scott!) So I put it in my Dremel and tried it out on the ventral saucer. About an hour later I was done with it and I think it turned out very well! (As Iain would put it "I was well chuffed!")  ;)

20180106_221056

The dorsal saucer has ALOT more windows on it, so I sectioned it off in quarters and started in on it too. I only got one section done before my hand gave out from holding the Dremel. (If any one knows of a smaller handpiece, lemme know as I could certainly use it instead of that five pound Dremel!)

Here's a pic of the upper saucer:

20180107_205553

I am hoping to get the saucer done this week and then I might be able to start in on the electronics and masking.

Thanks for following and commenting!

Steady as she goes!

Steve

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
    • Cameron's Decals and Such
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 08:00:00 am »
Thanks, Cameron, but I think the flex shaft attachment is more in my price range.

BUT, my BDay is coming up in April so.... :)

Steve

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2018, 08:28:21 am »
Nice work Steve.

(If any one knows of a smaller handpiece, lemme know as I could certainly use it instead of that five pound Dremel!)

Dremel use to make a Stylus versus of their tool, but stopped a couple years ago. I have one and will lament the day it gives out.

There are some other versions out there though.
Like this one.

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2018, 12:36:33 am »
I've been going through TNG series discs and just got to "Yesterdays Enterprise" last night, so I thought I'd catch up on your thread here....

Although this class of starship wasn't eye candy to me at first, it has grown on me over the years, but that original blue paint job does nothing for me, so I'm glad to read you'll be going with diff colors.

Your windows look pretty good for the method you're using.....   that plastic is kinda thick isn't it?   :b

Best windows/slots I've seen are produced with an endmill....   but it's impossible to use these cutters free hand and get accurate results.

Check ya later....

Wolf
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Enterprise © Bloc