Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C  (Read 12177 times)

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
Re: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C
« Reply #165 on: July 27, 2018, 07:34:25 am »
These are my soldering rules.
1) Clean tip, properly silvered before shutting down.
2) Twist wires together.  A good mechanical connection is the first line of defense.
3) let the iron heat the wires at the joint, and the wires melt the solder.  This way you avoid the unreliable "cold solder."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #166 on: July 28, 2018, 03:42:41 pm »
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the tips and recommendations. I guess I was getting the soldering iron a little bit too hot and I haven't been twisting the wires either. Thanks again.

Apologies for not responding quickly as RL had slammed me hard the past few weeks. Work has really picked up leaving me little time to "appear busy". Thi is good as my job isn't in jeopardy at the moment so, yeay me! :)

But it does seem though that the wire is experiencing fatigue rather than a failure of the solder joint. Here are a couple of the pics I took just to show you the situation; as requested.

This one is to get you oriented to where the solder/wire failed and the space I have in which to work.
20180720_134036

This one shows the solder joint. The red heat shrink I am holding with the instrument is the resistor and the end is where the wire fatigued and broke. The other end is near the tip of the tool and it looks to be stranded.

20180720_133923

I thought I had covered and supported the wire well enough but, as mentioned above, I didn't go the extra steps to make sure they stayed supported. Some other factors I noticed were that the resistor end doesn't give; it is a solid core wire. The wire I attempted to solder to it was stranded and very flexibile.

As I noted in my original question, the wire fatigue seems to happen at the solder joint and it doesn't seem to matter if both are stranded or both are solid core or a combination of the two; they all seem to break there.

I think I will try and reduce the styrene from the model and free up some more wire from the model in order to strip the cover back and attempt to re-solder; following the tips mentioned here.

Let me know what you think or if you can suggest alternate methods of supporting the wires during assembly and painting.

Also, i could use an alligator clip as a heat sink for the resistor and the wires but for the other wires and styrene close by, it there an "asbestos-like" sheet I could lay down over the model or other wires to protect them during the soldering process?

You advice and recommendations are invaluable and greatly appreciated!

Thanks, as always, for the help!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #167 on: July 30, 2018, 12:25:56 pm »
Okay, so, while Mrs. MSgtUSAFRet napped yesterday, I discovered that I wouldn't be able to solder the saucer dorsal strobe wires without some serious gymnastics and cutting of the saucer, I noticed one of the green Nav lights was out.

Well, Farglecarb!

So I made the difficult decision to pop the saucer and have a lookie loo. The wires had snapped off the LED. I stripped the wire and twisted the end around the LED lead and, using the low temp setting on the soldering iron, I drew the solder to the joint. I did the same thing on the strobe leads and fixed it while I had her open.

Solder joint

Now I have to re-cement, re-putty, and re-paint her saucer. I guess I needed the practice. :/

20180729_133937

I also cracked open the engines and did some playing with further toning down the lights. Since I don't have any pictures of that yet, it will have to be another post.

Thanks again for looking!

Steve

"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #168 on: July 30, 2018, 02:33:50 pm »
Nice repair job mate.

It really sucks when something fails right after you have sealed up a particular section of a model but if this hobby (which will lead us all to an early grave via the local asylum)didn't throw these "problems" at us from time to time it wouldn't be fun.
Iain

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #169 on: July 30, 2018, 04:45:01 pm »
Steve, Iain is right -- where would we be if we didn't have these problems, er, challenges!  You'll be happy you made the repair after it's sitting pretty in your shop or office.  Chin up and keep going!

Offline deckem_17

• Lieutenant
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #170 on: July 30, 2018, 06:35:11 pm »
Hmmmmm opening up a model when something fails..... sounds familiar..... Too familiar!
Guess you're taking more than just inspiration from my builds  ;)

But from what I can see of your wires, it looks like the wires are heating up too much to break around the solder joint.

When you heat copper (or steel or most metals actually) you accelerate the oxidization process (rust for steel). This weakens the metal making it more likely to break from small amounts of fatigue as there is now less rust-free metal at that spot.

I suppose a quick trick to prevent it from breaking if you can't avoid over-heating the wire would be (if you got the room of course) to smother the joint (before and after the solder) with hot glue and bond it to the model. But I'm sure there are better solutions out there.

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
-Carl Sagan

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #171 on: July 30, 2018, 08:05:07 pm »
Opening it up to save the day...brave!  I don't envy the repainting, but it was awesome the first time and I am sure you will rock it the second time!

I follow most of StarSeige's rules, followed up with tugging and testing and then sealing in liquid electrical tape.  But nothing will save you from a mechanical 'crunch.'   :o
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
« Reply #172 on: July 31, 2018, 01:01:11 pm »
After soldering the joint I like to cover it with Liquid Electrical Tape. For strain relief I use hot glue to afix the wires to the inside of the model near the joint. No flexing means no breaking!
Steve

Him: "Chinese voices in his head? That's a little weird."
Her: "But... you hear voices don't you?"
Him: "Not Chinese!"

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #173 on: August 01, 2018, 08:48:40 am »
Way to go Steve.  What an effort.  It certainly had to be done but looks like a real pain.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2018, 06:07:08 pm »
Gents, Thanks for the kind words and encouragements! Posts like this are the main reason I post so often on this site; great people and great builds!

Nice repair job mate.

It really sucks when something fails right after you have sealed up a particular section of a model but if this hobby (which will lead us all to an early grave via the local asylum) didn't throw these "problems" at us from time to time it wouldn't be fun.

Well, they always present a challenge, that's for sure, Iain!

You'll be happy you made the repair after it's sitting pretty in your shop or office.  Chin up and keep going!
Yeah, it will - if I ever get it done! :)

@AngrySFModeler, @Scott, and @Steve - I am reallly going to have to check out this liquid electrical tape. It would solve alot of issues with taping stuff up!I am going to go back and hot glue the
joints and LEDs to the saucer. Thanks for the tip!

@Shawn, yeah it was a pain; especially since it took so much to get it sealed, sanded, and puttied.

So, I was trying to think of ways to tone down the light in the engines. I finally decided to put some Tulip puff paint on the ends of the LEDs. Its seems to have worked as the light is very indirect!

20180731_181205

Plus, if you draw a half circle underneath the LEDs, it kinda looks like a smiley face! :)

A few suggestions of stuffing cotton in there so I did that with the STBD engine.
20180731_181555

I tried to get a pic of the difference between the cotton stuffed engine and the non-cotton stuffed engine. It didn't work out too well but you might be able to tell that the Bussard collector isn't a flood light any more. ;)
subdued
20180731_181443

Ah, well. Still pressing forward.

I'm getting an itch to get this done to get to my next project - a 350 TOS E!

Which means I need to get this one done! :D

Thanks again for the tips, the encouragements, and posts!

Ya'all ROCK!

Steve

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #175 on: August 01, 2018, 09:25:54 pm »
Looks good Steve! I like the cotton idea for the Bussards. I'm experimenting with the same thing for my 1/1400 Enterprise E. Haven't decided yet, but am leaning that way. As for cracking open a model after sealing it up to fix a wiring mishap, I'm still terrified to try it for fear of making a bad situation many times worse. Everyone has their hobby phobias. Glad to see that's not one of yours and you were able to recover and move forward again.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #176 on: August 02, 2018, 07:36:58 am »
As for cracking open a model after sealing it up to fix a wiring mishap, I'm still terrified to try it for fear of making a bad situation many times worse. Everyone has their hobby phobias. Glad to see that's not one of yours and you were able to recover and move forward again.

Thanks, Dan! Good to see you back on here! I figured since I restored my white AMT 1/650 TOS Enterprise , I am less leery about taking things apart and finishing them. Still, I hate to destroy the work I just did but I would rather have the light on than not. :)

Thanks for looking and posting!

Steve

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #177 on: August 02, 2018, 09:09:32 am »
Hi Steve,

It's hard to tell between the cotton version or not for me.   I think either looks pretty cool.   

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #178 on: August 24, 2018, 02:07:11 pm »
more cotton!  I like it.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #179 on: August 24, 2018, 09:29:43 pm »
That's an awesome idea with the cotton Steve - I have an Enterprise D I need to make for my Mother as she's a huge Trek fan and I said I'd make her one, so I might use that idea when I get to it. Very novel I must say

Si

Enterprise © Bloc