Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C  (Read 17183 times)

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
Re: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C
« Reply #240 on: February 12, 2019, 07:45:01 am »
Looks great so far Steve.  I can't wait to see what you choose for your final color!   Bwaaaaaa.   You know I had to do that.

Looks great.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #241 on: February 12, 2019, 07:49:21 am »
Looks great so far Steve.  I can't wait to see what you choose for your final color!   Bwaaaaaa.   You know I had to do that.

Looks great.

Shawn

ha. ha, Shawn.

;)
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #242 on: February 12, 2019, 09:38:18 am »
You don't know how long I've been waiting to say that after you asked the same question of my UFO ship.  Hahahaha.
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #243 on: February 14, 2019, 08:12:29 pm »
Steve, loving it!  Can you show some detail on how you light the deflector yet avoid leaks around the edges (since it looks like it is going in after final paint)?
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #244 on: February 20, 2019, 07:52:45 am »
Steve, loving it!  Can you show some detail on how you light the deflector yet avoid leaks around the edges (since it looks like it is going in after final paint)?

I have this well thought-out, sure fire plan that will totally...uhm...make it easy to...not see any...uhm......light leaks around that...uhm...part...thingy...

no.                    :P               :-[

Do you?

I have an idea but I don't know how successful it will be.

I made a cone light box to focus and limit the blue LED light to just the deflector dish. I painted the deflector dish with primer and an overlay of paint and I am hoping that, in scraping the paint off the back of the deflector to allow adhesion of the dish to the hull, I won't overexpose the part and allow light from the secondary hull LEDs to bleed around the light box.

I will have to use PPP to fill the gap around the dish and the hull, which I am hoping will be minimal, and then use some touch up painting to hide the addition.

Whaddayathink?

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #245 on: February 20, 2019, 08:26:41 am »
That looks pretty cool Steve.  I don't see any light leaks on it.

Shawn

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #246 on: March 04, 2019, 07:58:05 am »
Greetings, Fellow Modelers!

I hope you had a productive weekend!

I did and was able to make some headway on my Enterprise C; although MrsMSgtUSAFRet didn't seemed as thrilled about it as I was/am!

So, we're here again, at the masking and painting stage.

This time I tested the clean release of the Tamiya tape (I feel like I should take out some stock in this company!) from the Vallejo acrylic paint; and it released very easily with no paint lift.

The paint went on the saucer beautifully!

Always in a hurry, I removed the masking and found this underneath.

I am happy with the masking and how color is where is it supposed to be; I even did some touching up thinking I would keep the paint scheme. But, I wasn't too sure about the stark contrast between the hull base color and the secondary color. After a test, I decided to remask and repaint with a lighter grey; but not before I roughened up the surface, to break the glaze on the darker paint, with 600 grit sandpaper.

This is a Dark Gull Grey Vallejo paint and it seems to have a bit of a greenish hue to it. The green/grey in combination with the Mecha Blue seems, IMHO, to work better than the darker grey. Fortunately, I haven't taken the masking off the saucer so I can cover the dark with the gull grey with minimal effort. Good thing I didn't go on or otherwise it would have been another step backward for this project.

But, pressing onward. I still have the nacelle supports to mask and paint, so more time at the bench working on bending my upper back in half! :D

Thank for reading and commenting!

Steady as she goes!

Steve

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #247 on: March 04, 2019, 06:17:57 pm »
Great progress Steve.  The colors look great on that ship.

Shawn

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
« Reply #248 on: March 06, 2019, 12:30:52 pm »
I love your color scheme. I think this is my number 2 overall favorite Enterprise design (after the refit), but I can't stand the actual paint job on the studio model. It looks so cartoonish under normal lighting.

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #249 on: March 06, 2019, 01:28:43 pm »
I agree. I think the paint style on the studio model doesn
Phil

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #250 on: March 07, 2019, 08:05:34 am »
Great progress Steve.  The colors look great on that ship.

Thanks Shawn - at least I will be able to pick my ship out from a lineup! ;)

I love your color scheme. I think this is my number 2 overall favorite Enterprise design (after the refit), but I can't stand the actual paint job on the studio model. It looks so cartoonish under normal lighting.

Thanks Dave - I agree about the colors of the studio model. Of course the onscreen shots were not well lit and any color was blended out. I think more in a militaristic mindset of greys in paint schemes. This ship is one of my favorites - 3rd, I think, after TOS and TMP.

I agree. I think the paint style on the studio model doesn

Thanks Phil - I, too, hate commas - especially those written in another program; they seem to cancel anything after it - as if it is a programming note. Notepad seems to be the exception - it cuts and pastes well here.

Thanks for the comments and support, Gents!

Keep them coming! I am hoping to make some progress on painting the saucer this weekend.

Hailing Frequencies are Open!

Steve

Offline TD1701

• Commander
« Reply #251 on: March 10, 2019, 07:48:03 pm »
This looking really nice Steve! You're doing a great job on this and I can't wait to see it after you've finished with the paint.

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #252 on: March 10, 2019, 09:13:27 pm »
Lol. I guess this is gonna be one good thing about getting a new forum. Apostrophes will hopefully be allowed!
Phil

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #253 on: March 18, 2019, 06:09:33 am »
Looking good, Steve!  Glad you're having success with the Vallejo paints -- they've become my "go to" for nearly everything I've done lately.  Like yourself, I too find some interesting color combinations in their Mecha line.  In fact, I like the Mecha white as a starship base coat since it has a touch of gray and is very durable.

Will we see the "C" at the IPMS Houston show next month???  Please???

Al

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #254 on: March 18, 2019, 11:15:13 am »
This looking really nice Steve! You're doing a great job on this and I can't wait to see it after you've finished with the paint.

Thanks Tom! I am really enjoying your Space:1999 build!

Lol. I guess this is gonna be one good thing about getting a new forum. Apostrophes will hopefully be allowed!

HA! We'll have to see, Phil! It would make life a little easier if it did! :)

Looking good, Steve!  Glad you're having success with the Vallejo paints -- they've become my "go to" for nearly everything I've done lately.  Like yourself, I too find some interesting color combinations in their Mecha line.  In fact, I like the Mecha white as a starship base coat since it has a touch of gray and is very durable.

Will we see the "C" at the IPMS Houston show next month???  Please???

Al

Thanks Al! I have come to really like the Vallejo paints. I even bought a wash to see if I can duplicate your BSG TOS Cylon basestar build! As for showing this one, I am  not sure this one is show worthy (although, thank you for your compliment!). If any of your models are there, I know I will have stiff competition!

Thanks for your replies and comments. I am slowing painting the engines and pylons - facing some paint lifting issues and some touch-ups - but I hope to have something to show you soon!

Thanks again!

Steve

Enterprise © Bloc