Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C  (Read 7462 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C (So it begins)
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2018, 07:53:53 am »
Hey Guys!

Those lights didn't blink?  I wonder if they just went cheap on the model?

I like your diagrams.

Shawn

Yeah, I was kinda surprised myself about the steady on lights. I thought at least the saucer lights would blink. Remember, it was only a "ship of the week" appearance; at least for the "E". The model did reappear as the Yamaguchi later on in the series - haven't done research as to which episode through. It might be interesting to find out and see if they added blinkies then.

Thanks about the diagrams! It's kinda part of my job to work in Visio so I have lots of practice making them.

Love the lighting layout. Might have to borrow it when I do my C.
If I ever get the time. Still trying to finish two other kits.

Borrow away. Fair warning: you may have to fix them to get them right! :)

If you're going to include some flashers Steve, make sure you test the entire system. From my experience the flasher needs to be on a separate circuit or each flash will slightly (at least) diminish all the other lights on the circuit and in effect ALL lights will be flashers....

Wolf

Wolf, thanks for the tip and critique! Looking at the diagrams, I can see where you would have drawn that conclusion. The 555 timer circuits will be connected to their own power source; separate from the steady state light's power. But yeah, I plan to test the... ;) well, thoroughly test the circuits before they are placed in the base!  ;D

Looking at another builder's thread of an Ambassador class ship, I see I still have some clean up to do on the windows. While I am doing that, I am planning on building a display to go on the base...probably.

Thanks for the input and interest!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline madmonk

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2018, 08:19:31 am »
Circuitry looks good Steve, my only comment would be where you have 2 or more LEDs in a circuit to wire them in parallel rather than in series as you have them. 

As you have them wired at the moment if one fails the whole circuit will fail.

The effect that the flasher circuit will have on static LEDs depends on the integrity of your power supply, if it is sized to supply the voltage and current you need then you should have no problems.  It can be seen at its worst when using batteries to supply LEDs, as the battery starts to lose voltage the flicker will effect the static lights.

Keep up the good work.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2018, 01:15:32 pm »
Greetings!

Warren, thanks for the advise. I think I have modified the schema to make only two LEDs in a series. But I will test it out before I build.

I know it has been awhile since I last posted, RL and IPMS have had me tied up a bit and kept me away from the bench. I was able to get some time in on the bench, but it has been in spurts. But I have made some headway. I am nearly ready to paint, but only if the Texas weather cooperates.

While I was at IPMS San Antonio, I met Ralph from TenaControls and he sold me his Federation Nav-light set - so I chickened out on building my own blinky circuit. But, I swear it shall be done! (For you "Princess Bride" fans out there!)

I was able to scribe some lines on the perimeter of the saucer much like the studio model has. I also filled and sanded the sensor bands AMT cut into the model. Yuck.
20180207_212601

I decided to make the collision avoidance, squadron formation lights, on the saucer blink. It does not seem like Star Fleet without them. So I leveled of the nubs that AMT had for the lights and drilled out the holes for the Fiber Optic (FO) strands and...

20180210_081756

...Right into the AMT placement of the orientation peg! AAAAAaaaaggaah!
20180210_081812

The 0.75mm FO fits and should make a nice blinky light, once I round the end and paint it (I think).

20180210_082905

Then I started thinking about how I would route the FO if the orientation peg and hole were filled with, ya know, each other. So I decided to make a channel for the strand and cut a channel in the receiver. I may have to go back and shave the peg off a little to allow for the strand to remain un-kinked.
20180210_082931

But once I get it all settled, I should look something similar to this.
20180219_185053

If it all goes to plan. I also remembered that I needed to light the planetary sensor array, so I cut a hole in the ventral saucer. TaDaaa!
20180220_203140

Well, I hope to make more progress this weekend, again, if the weather cooperates.

Ahead Warp Factor One!

Steve

"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2018, 02:04:36 pm »
Looks good Steve. 

I learned that if you want the end of the fiber optic to spread light out evenly, just heat up a knife blade or something like that and push the end of the fiber optics on that hot blade.   The light won't emit only out the end, but can be seen from the sides.   Not sure if you have done that there, you might have.   Anyway, just experiment with the light beam and see.  Maybe you just flare it with the lighter itself.  Been too long since I've done that.

Anyway, looking great so far.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline greg

• Captain
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2018, 11:31:59 pm »
Looks good Steve. 

I learned that if you want the end of the fiber optic to spread light out evenly, just heat up a knife blade or something like that and push the end of the fiber optics on that hot blade.   The light won't emit only out the end, but can be seen from the sides.   Not sure if you have done that there, you might have.   Anyway, just experiment with the light beam and see.  Maybe you just flare it with the lighter itself.  Been too long since I've done that.
I have used a lighter to mushroom the tip of FO before, but I've never thought about smooshing it against a hot knife. Interesting idea to try sometime.

Steve, you may want to wave a hot soldering iron close to the FO to get it to bend more so that you can close the clamshell without crimping the fiber. How did you scribe the lines along the saucer? Dymo Tape?

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2018, 08:09:33 am »
Looks good Steve. 

I have used a lighter to mushroom the tip of FO before, but I've never thought about smooshing it against a hot knife. Interesting idea to try sometime.

Steve, you may want to wave a hot soldering iron close to the FO to get it to bend more so that you can close the clamshell without crimping the fiber. How did you scribe the lines along the saucer? Dymo Tape?

@Shawn - I hadn't thought of smooshing (I love it when you use technical lingo!  ;D ) the ends down. That would be different technique.

@greg - I'd heard of this technique but haven't played with it yet. I should have done that on my Protector, but haven't. I may yet - AFTER I play with some scraps.  ;D

On the scribing - don't laugh. I had a decorative curtain rod support left over from many military moves. I bent it open (obtusely - not me, the support rod - from 90 degrees to 120ish degrees) to roughly fit the angle of the saucer, aligned part of it with the gridlines on top and then pulled my Tamiya scribing tool down. I hung the saucer over the edge of the desk so I could keep the angle on the tool the same all through the pull. It ain't stupid if it works. I tried to keep them that same depth as the gridlines and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. :)

I have an update, put don't have the pics loaded yet on a hosting website.

Stay tuned!

Steve

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2018, 12:07:23 pm »
I have heard of that turning the optics around the corner.  I think I have done that on my Reliant.  Been too long to remember. 

Anyway, looking forward to your next progress shots.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2018, 02:51:17 pm »
I have heard of that turning the optics around the corner.  I think I have done that on my Reliant.  Been too long to remember. 

Then, my friend, it been too long!

Greetings,

While I was at IPMS San Antonio, I had the privilege of meeting Ralph from TenaControls. He is very friendly and professional in his manner.
Because he was a the show, he was offering discounts for his items and I didn't have to pay S&H, either.So I picked up a "typical" Federation flasher unit
for the C. I thought I was gonna use it on the 1/350 TOS E, but I already bought the light kit for it, so I decided to use it on the C.

BTW, I also picked up the TenaControls kit for the JJPrise. I'm so excited!!

I still have to make my own internal lighting for the engines and the hull, but the flasher unit is no longer a hold up; or at least so I thought until
I opened it up! It's the parts and pieces and I have to solder it together. OKay, breathe!

I figured it out on the breadboard and took a still of it. I am not sure how to post videos here but I have a video, too to show you the lights in action.
I happened to catch the strobes mid-flash so it looks like the are steady-on, but none of them are. It's gonna be a mind bender to figure out how to wire
this together when the lights may be so far apart on the model.

20180223_204441

I have the nacelle inserts from DLM and, while they are awesome, they kind limit my options for lighting and routing the wires. I reduced the front of the insert
to allow room for the red LEDs for the Bussard Collectors. The lower one is reduced and the upper is as shipped. The anterior of the insert does provide some lighting
to create the illusion of depth of the interior of the nacelle.

20180224_142646

So I'm thinking of putting up a partition with reflective tape toward the insert and light with light-blocking
toward the bussard collector (BC).

20180224_154803

I was thinking about making a light diffusser for the BC, but the DLM part already does a great job of that. So, the part I was going to use as a diffuser is probably now going
to be an LED holder instead; I'll just have to move the partitian back a little and modify the LED lenses to spread the light a bit.

20180224_154923

I also modified the Nacelles to accept the wires for the lights. Interesting side note: the nacelles are keyed to make sure they are assembled correctly and so they seat level. I'm impressed!
So I had to be careful where I was drilling in order to preserve the keys.

20180224_153931

I then modified the nacelle supports to accept the 30AWG magnet wire from the secondary hull to the nacelles. I did a dry fit to see if the wires would come through; they did.

20180224_154556

This shot is looking into the secondary hull from the deflector dish. As you can see, I modded the supports to accept wires to the nacelles. The issue is, I would like to put a strobe, via FO in the rear
near the Shuttlebay. This could be easy (in my dreams) or difficult (more likely) to put together. It could be like my Protector; I have to put it in oned side and then glue the other to it.

20180224_155101

Once I get the strobes and the steady-on lighting figured, I can reapply light blocking, close the clamshell, and start painting.

Thanks for comments and suggestions!

Steady as she goes!

Steve

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2018, 05:21:01 pm »
Looking good, Steve.  What do you think of the quality of the DLM parts overall?

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2018, 07:53:32 am »
Looking good, Steve.  What do you think of the quality of the DLM parts overall?

Thanks, Al!

TBH, I think they are superb with only one or two reservations. The detail is marvelous and the light transmission is diffused with minimal light the limitation. There aren't any discernible defects in the external details (the parts that show on the model) and seem well worth the money spent.

The minor complaints I have are:

1. In one of the blue nacelle inserts, there is internal cracking of the material but it doesn't mare the aesthetics of the insert. I suspect when Don quality check it, he determined the same thing. It still works for the build, just a noted imperfection. I think either the mold or material got too warm and caused the material to set too fast; resulting in an internal flaw. Or the material was nearing the end of its working phase and starting to set.

2. The pieces seem a little small compared to the parts they are replacing. While it could be that Don made his molds from a different revision of the model than the one I have, it could also be true that the factory has it's own issues with expansion/contraction of their model molds. Or Don's molds may have shrunk, dried out (depending on the material and age of the mold material) or have changed dimensions due to repeated use.

Are any of these factors going to keep me from using this great products? Absolutely NOT. I'll just have to figure out how to rig them tot he model; part of the fun of building!

Would I buy them again? Absolutely!

Hope this helps!

Steve

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2018, 08:42:10 am »
Those blue parts look great.  I can't wait to see that lit up.  Very cool that you got to meet Ralph.  He is a really nice guy.  Looking great so far Steve.

Shawn

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2018, 08:58:09 am »
Thanks, Steve, that's a big help.  I'm thinking of ordering DLMs clear and resin parts for the Maquis Raider, a build I hope to start later this year.  Appreciate it:)

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
    • Cameron's Decals and Such
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2018, 11:21:13 am »
Don's molds are probably needing replaced. Molds shrink over time.
Since he is winding down his business he probably won't replace them.
He is trying to sell off the business. This is giving me all sorts of Ideas
for my build if and when I get around to it.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2018, 02:19:07 pm »
Looks like you're planning your work and working your plan quite efficiently Steve....  I'm sure many of us had to deal with the same issues of wiring "half the kit" to get everything together and working in the end.

I'm a bit surprised the original kit parts for the nacelles were not molded in clear at least....  Nice upgrade!
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
Re: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2018, 07:52:42 am »
G'Day All!

Apologies for waiting so long to post. RL threw a curve ball the last few weeks and I haven't had time to get back to the bench.

@Shawn, yeah Ralph is a nice man and does quality workmanship!

@AlW, no worries. I look forward to seeing your next build! BTW, Are you doing something now and I am missing it?! Lemme know!

@Tankton, yeah, I'd read he was wanting to shut down. Didn't know he was wanting to sell the business. I really hope someone steps up and fills the niche he has created with his
aftermarket parts. I would really love to see what you would do with the "C"!

@Wolf, Thanks! I have found the old saying "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail" to be true. I just have a problem with execution. :)  The original kit parts for the nacelles are
clear and they were included with the kit. I just throught the aftermarket parts from DLM would be a nice upgrade.

Here are some shots I took before I had to stop.
I did a dry fit test of the lights in the nacelles. I'm glad I did as I ended up with a few dark spots in the engine. I used my original plan or three LEDs but now I think I will
use four of the blue LEDs to help with the distribution of light.

Darkspots
20180228_164906

Darkspots 2
20180301_111934

I also put in a firewall to keep the blue light from influencing the red of the Bussard collectors. There is precious little room in the nacelle for the resistors, the firewall
and the LEDs. I plan to use reflective tape on the nacelle (blue) portion of the wall to help reflect the blue back into the DLM part. I think this will light block the two
types of lights from each other. I think I can trim a little more on the bussard wall to move it a hair forward. Cement and tulip paint will be used to create a physical
barrier between the two walls.

Firewall
20180301_113752

For grins and giggles, I dry fitted the Bussard Collector to the Nacelle. It really diffusses the light which will negate a detail I saw on screen and I had planned to add.
I hate to waste the DLM part for the detail...hummm...may have to think that one through a bit.

With Bussard
20180301_111723

As spring arrives, Mrs. MSgtUSAFRet is looking at her "honey-do" list and wondering why I am working on the model rather than her castle. So the updates may be more sporadic
for a while. I will lurk and comment and post more when I can!

Till then, Thanks for looking and commenting!

Steady as she goes, Mr. Castillo!

Steve

Enterprise © Bloc