Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C  (Read 8526 times)

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
Re: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2018, 09:02:27 am »
Excellent work so far Steve!

I've thought about DLM's nacelle parts, but probably will just go with the kit parts when I do mine.

I don't know if this will be a problem on this kit, but you might want to make sure the lighting for the windows
doesn't contaminate the fiber optics.

Spencer

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2018, 09:05:44 am »
Looks good Steve.  Have you tried putting anything on top of the led's to diffuse the light at all to make it more even?   I know it sounds strange, but I used paper towel strips on my Reliant and it worked.  I have also heard of using wax paper.    Just a thought. 

Glad you are back up and running.   I keep looking at my Reliant wondering who is going to finish it for me.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2018, 07:41:29 am »
Excellent work so far Steve!

I've thought about DLM's nacelle parts, but probably will just go with the kit parts when I do mine.

I don't know if this will be a problem on this kit, but you might want to make sure the lighting for the windows
doesn't contaminate the fiber optics.

Spencer

Spencer, thanks for the kind words and heads-up! I hadn't thought that far forward yet. I had a similar issue with my Protector blinky light. I didn't sheath or coat the FO from the blue bussard collector lighting and when it wasn't blinking white it was blue rather than off. So, yeah, I'm gonna try and avoid that situation this time! :)

Looks good Steve.  Have you tried putting anything on top of the led's to diffuse the light at all to make it more even?   I know it sounds strange, but I used paper towel strips on my Reliant and it worked.  I have also heard of using wax paper.    Just a thought. 

Shawn, yeah, I've thought about it; especially since AngrySciFiModeler, my main source of inspiration for this build, did something similar as shown here:

Angryscifimodeler - Nacelle tent

I did the Nacelle test because I wanted to see if the DLM blue part would provide an adequate level of diffusion. It does, but not as much as I would have expected; considering the Red Bussard collector is more than enough. I will probably follow AngrySciFiModeler's lead and do the same technique  for mine - after I add another blue LED to the string.

Thanks again for making me think through my plan! (I just need to get busy and execute the plan!  ;D )

Steve

BTW - fair warning if you look up his videos - his expletives are enough to make a sailor blush but he does some quality work.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 07:45:56 am by MSgtUSAFRet »
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2018, 10:25:29 am »
His videos are a riot!  I laughed so hard, especially when one of his boards went out and he had to cut out a panel to get to it.  He seemed on the frustrated side. 

Anyway, I think the diffused look will look better, no hot spots or weak spots.  The nice thing is it's cheap and takes no time at all to test.

I know yours is going to turn out as good, or better than his.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2018, 05:16:32 pm »
small tufts of cotton also work well to diffuse light.  One bit from a pill bottle would probably last you years of models.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2018, 07:50:12 am »
His videos are a riot!  I laughed so hard, especially when one of his boards went out and he had to cut out a panel to get to it.  He seemed on the frustrated side. 

Anyway, I think the diffused look will look better, no hot spots or weak spots.  The nice thing is it's cheap and takes no time at all to test.

I know yours is going to turn out as good, or better than his.

Shawn

Yeah, he seems a little frustrated at most things. ;D

Thanks for the encouragement!

small tufts of cotton also work well to diffuse light.  One bit from a pill bottle would probably last you years of models.

Scott, I haven't tried cotton yet. I may do so. I'd also thought about sanding the ends of the LEDs flat to help diffuse the light a bit more. Thanks for the tip!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2018, 09:12:35 am »
Hey Steve, here's one more technique to consider to diffuse the hot spots:  I've used Krylon Glass Frosting on the inside of almost all my tinted parts.  It's easy to control the amount of light diffusion with multiple applications and is simple to apply.  I think Testors Createx has a similar type product.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2018, 06:27:20 pm »
Okay, just took a (late!!!) look at the clear parts all lit up and I wouldn't change a thing!  WOW!  those look great!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2018, 08:11:32 am »
Okay, just took a (late!!!) look at the clear parts all lit up and I wouldn't change a thing!  WOW!  those look great!

Hey, Scott, thanks for the confirmation!

For "grins and giggles", I dry-fit the kit's clear parts in the nacelles. As you can see from the photo below, even with cotton stuffed in over the LEDs, I still end up with
hot spots.

Clear Nacelles
20180315_210140

I know there are many who have spend the time to even out the light distribution with the included kit parts and have done an outstanding and enviable jobs with it, but I think the easier route will be to use the DLM part.

As you can see, there is a Ton of Room with the kit clear parts...

20180315_205918

...but the DLM Part seems to offer more diffusion for less work. Despite the better fit of the kit parts, I'm still gonna use the DLM parts. Besides, I paid for the ruddy things, why not use them?! :)

20180228_164906

I did take off a resistor (560 Ohms) and left a single resistor (470 Ohms) on it and added another LED, four in total, to help even out the light distribution. I'm still
gonna try to make a tent similar to the one shown in the previous post to help with diffusion even more.

Thanks again!

I appreciate the feedback.

Steve

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2018, 10:30:18 am »
Well ...  just to throw my two cents in. I've seen some builds use a couple layers of milk jug plastic, and it seems to work ...

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2018, 09:30:11 pm »
Just caught up with this build Steve. You're doing excellent work, as usual! I have this kit in the inventory, so I need to pay better attention to build logs involving the "C".  I think every Star Trek Kit with lit nacelles provides unique challanges for each one. No two are alike. What works for one won't necessarily work for another. I'm wondering why you chose individual LEDs over strip tape for the nacelles? If you explained it already I apologize for dredging up old info.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2018, 06:02:59 pm »
I've become a real fan of the LED tape.  Easy to wire up, consistent light.  Of course, you need space...

Offline incubus35

• Lieutenant
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2018, 10:09:09 am »
Hi Steve, as always, this is inspiring work!

I've just managed to get this kit, so I'll be watching the thread with interest!

Offline neilfsmith

• Commander
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2018, 04:10:01 pm »
This is looking better and better with each post. Nice work!!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2018, 09:58:14 am »
Well...Frak!

I did what, I hope, every modeler does only once - I took a shortcut. The nacelle supports were warped and not straight. I needed to heat them up and get them into true before I began assembly. Thought I could control a heat gun rather than put it in the oven. Farglecarb!

Well ...  just to throw my two cents in. I've seen some builds use a couple layers of milk jug plastic, and it seems to work ...

Spencer, Thanks! I will have to empty one first, but I will definitely try this out!

Just caught up with this build Steve. You're doing excellent work, as usual! I have this kit in the inventory, so I need to pay better attention to build logs involving the "C".  I think every Star Trek Kit with lit nacelles provides unique challanges for each one. No two are alike. What works for one won't necessarily work for another. I'm wondering why you chose individual LEDs over strip tape for the nacelles? If you explained it already I apologize for dredging up old info.

Dan, Thanks for the kind words! I got 1,400 3mm LEDs for Christmas and so I am trying to use them up. That's why I am using them instead of the strips. The 350 E will get that treatment.

I've become a real fan of the LED tape.  Easy to wire up, consistent light.  Of course, you need space...

Yeah, Scott, I have the space on this one. I want to graduate to the LED tape, but, as I said above, I need to deplete my stock a bit first. :)

Hi Steve, as always, this is inspiring work!

I've just managed to get this kit, so I'll be watching the thread with interest!

Pete, Thanks for the kind words! Glad to see you active again!

Hey Steve, here's one more technique to consider to diffuse the hot spots:  I've used Krylon Glass Frosting on the inside of almost all my tinted parts.  It's easy to control the amount of light diffusion with multiple applications and is simple to apply.  I think Testors Createx has a similar type product.

I have thought of that, too. My wife tried to frost some glass bulbs - it didn't work out well. The plastic may take it better than the smooth glass so that is an option.

This is looking better and better with each post. Nice work!!

Neil, Thanks for the encouragement! I hope to get done quickly but my own ability to complicate a simple build is getting in the way. ;)

So, I asked the Admiral if I could fund some replacement parts and recieved funding approval. The parts order should arrive today! Yeay!

I still have a lot of work to do on the rest of the ship. With the blinky lights now taken care of (I still have to build it!), I need to catch up with the
steady on lights. I also am working on building the light boxes for the secondary hull. I made a cone for the deflector dish and filed down the end of an LED
to help diffuse the LED cone and spread it out over the Dish.

Deflector Dish light box

Deflector Dish gluing Light box

The light test looks great, IHMO. So, I will replace the wires I have with some connectors so I can glue the peice in and quickly connect the part to power.

Deflector Dish Light Test

I also worked on the Impulse Engine light box. I had to drill out the windows and then build the box to fit against the curve of the part. If it all works out, I should have a nice glow there, too!

Building Impulse Engine Light box

Impluse Engine Light Box

I also built and tested the saucer lights. While I think the lights are pretty even in the saucer, the bridge and B/C deck look a little dark. What do you think?

Saucer lights

Saucer Light Test

One more mod - I hope - is that all the wiring I will have coming from the saucer, I think it will be easier to cut an opening in the Primary hull, which is larger than the hole
in either the saucer or the neck, and channel my wires through there. At least I can't mess up something that will be covered later :D

Huge Hole Secondary hull

Saucer cut out

Thanks, as always, for reading and commenting! Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

"Gentlemen, may the wind ever be at our backs! Stations, please."

Steve

Enterprise © Bloc