Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C  (Read 10033 times)

Offline RockyD88

• Captain
Re: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C
« Reply #150 on: June 30, 2018, 01:07:27 pm »
that paint scheme looks awesome, cant wait to se it finished. :)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #151 on: July 13, 2018, 08:20:29 am »

Greetings Builders!

that paint scheme looks awesome, cant wait to se it finished. :)

Thanks, Rocky! I kinda like it myself!

It's been a while since I last posted, but I have been a bit busy with masking and painting - like many others here!

I added more tape to paint the blue highlights (third color). It almost seems like "Why show masking?! We all do it!" Yeah, but it's really tough work! I was almost getting flash
backs of my Protector work! I probably will when I finally get to the secondary hull and warp nacelles!

Masking Dorsal - blue
20180630_103337

I finally got the blue painted on both sides. Then came the tedious chore of adding MORE masking to paint the lifepods. Woohoo!

Masking pods Ventral
20180706_145911

2 minutes of painting later...

Paint pods ventral
20180707_082300
Painting pods Dorsal
20180707_083158

And here is the unmasking. Yeah, I have some touchups to do, including the B/C deck lifepods, but this is still a milestone to getting this done!

Reveal Ventral
20180707_112344

Reveal Dorsal
20180707_112353

I am happy with the colors, but I am concerned about the "flat" look of it. I will be adding a clear sealant on it, which should help, but, for now, I am just happy to get a majority of the paint for the saucer on the saucer!

Thanks as always for looking! Comments and constructive critisims are always appreciated!

Steady as she goes!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #152 on: July 13, 2018, 09:00:01 am »
Looking fantastic.  Your masking job was excellent!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline RockyD88

• Captain
« Reply #153 on: July 13, 2018, 10:33:49 am »
its very rewarding when you peel off that masking and see a nice crisp line, looks fantastic :)

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
« Reply #154 on: July 13, 2018, 02:47:44 pm »
Ditto what's below.
I'm really liking how this it turning out!

One thing you can do is use some of that white tissue packing paper for gift bags to cover up larger surfaces and not go through as much tape.
Depends on the size of the model and how you layer things ...

Keep it up!

Spencer

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #155 on: July 13, 2018, 03:29:17 pm »
Holy crap Steve.

That is just awesome.
Iain

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #156 on: July 13, 2018, 03:58:38 pm »
Looks awesome Steve.  Not sure how I missed this update. 

Looks like you are close to wrapping this one up.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #157 on: July 13, 2018, 05:29:22 pm »
Looks great, Steve.  The colors are perfect, the painting is excellent and I kinda like the "flat" look as you call it.

You'll soon be adding another wonderfully built starship to your collection. 

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #158 on: July 13, 2018, 09:05:19 pm »
Looking good!

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #159 on: July 13, 2018, 10:46:40 pm »
:)

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #160 on: July 16, 2018, 01:06:28 pm »
NOT SHABBY!
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #161 on: July 17, 2018, 07:36:59 am »
Thanks, Gents, for the awesome comments!!

Looking fantastic.  Your masking job was excellent!

Thanks, Scott! I had lots of practice on the Protector! :D I still have alot to do.

its very rewarding when you peel off that masking and see a nice crisp line, looks fantastic :)

Rocky88, Yes! Yes, it is!

Ditto what's below.
I'm really liking how this it turning out!

One thing you can do is use some of that white tissue packing paper for gift bags to cover up larger surfaces and not go through as much tape.
Depends on the size of the model and how you layer things ...

Spencer, it think I know what you are talking about. Usually, I use printer paper to mask larger areas - hadn't thought of tissue paper. (Hum...there is a quotable movie line in there methinks!) :D

Holy crap Steve.

That is just awesome.

Thanks, Mate! I am hoping the rest of the ship comes out as well or better!

Looks awesome Steve.  Not sure how I missed this update. 

Looks like you are close to wrapping this one up.

Shawn

Shawn, I wish!! No, this is just the saucer. I still have the rest of the ship to go. I think I am going to break open the nacelles and see what I can do to tone down the brightness. Looking back at some of the light test pictures, the engines seem to overwhelm the rest of the ship's lights. Serious planning will have to go into that before I crack them back open.

Looks great, Steve.  The colors are perfect, the painting is excellent and I kinda like the "flat" look as you call it.

You'll soon be adding another wonderfully built starship to your collection. 

Thanks, Al! The "flat look" is growing on me. Dunno, not close enough to start thinking about it yet...i think... ;)

starsiegeplayer, jwood314, and ImWolf - thanks for the kind words!

As I was saying above, i still have some more work to do on the ship and even the saucer. This ship is succumbing to my modeler's OCD and reinforcing my reputation for turning a simple build complex! :D  Anyway, with summer here and the spousal-unit getting a summer clearance bug, it may be a bit before I can get back to the bench. I will still lurk, though; as always.

One question for the group - and I may post on the question section - the wires for the LEDs keep breaking. It doesn't matter how much solder, whether or not the wire is solid core or stranded, it keeps breaking away - and to complicate matters, further and further inside the model where soldering may be damaging to the model. Any ideas?

Thanks for the comments and the help!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #162 on: July 19, 2018, 07:52:53 pm »
Hmmmm.  I've had similar problems with solder in the past.  There a few things I have tried: cleaning the soldering iron tip, 'wicking' away solder on the wire, and twisting wires before soldering after doing one and two.  Can you post any pics of what is going on?
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #163 on: July 20, 2018, 06:01:13 am »
One question for the group - and I may post on the question section - the wires for the LEDs keep breaking. It doesn't matter how much solder, whether or not the wire is solid core or stranded, it keeps breaking away - and to complicate matters, further and further inside the model where soldering may be damaging to the model. Any ideas?

(brittle) breaking wires suggests to me that your iron is bit too hot? This would also destroy smaller LED's as well though, so not sure exactly what you're seeing. At any rate, if you're concerned about soldering close to styrene you might consider using "Performix Liquid Tape" instead of soldering....  Just give your connections a good wrap and brush this liquid rubber on the joint and you should have a very dependable connection.

Wolf
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #164 on: July 26, 2018, 05:16:36 pm »
Steve, as the other guys have said, it's kind of difficult to diagnose the problem but here's a link to a good adafruit article on "common soldering problems".  You might find it helpful:

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guide-excellent-soldering/common-problems

Enterprise © Bloc