Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C  (Read 18723 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C
« Reply #225 on: January 03, 2019, 08:39:32 am »
See?! This kind of encouragement is why I frequent THIS site more than any other!

All Ya'll are awesome! All Ya'll!

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys! I have done some more masking and hope to get more done this weekend.

You all are awesome!

Steve

BTW - Star

The masking looks good!

https://youtu.be/o2Z1yLO9C-Q  ;)

I have NOT seen that cartoon! 80's me would probably have loved it! What am I talking about?! I want to look it up now! XD

SRH
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #226 on: January 05, 2019, 06:39:58 am »
Keep at it Steve. As we saw from your previous builds, you're the master of the home made aztecs.  You'll do great.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 07:31:24 am by karve »
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #227 on: January 05, 2019, 07:27:24 am »
Thanks Kevin!

I'm working on some painting solutions now. Having a spot of bother about this.

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #228 on: January 11, 2019, 01:28:38 pm »
Hey All,

After some help from the Gurus in a thread called Painting Woes, I figured out I had added to much water to my acrylic paints. Another complicating factor was I was using craft paint instead of the good stuff. Between the issues, I decided to 1) go get some real modeler's paint and 2) strip the paint from the saucer.

Stripped Saucer

I know! I know! It's getting a little saucy in here talking about stripping, but what am I gonna do?! :) As you can see, I still have some spot cleaning to do, but I had run out of Q-Tips.

starsiegeplayer suggested

Since the paint is not adhering in thr first place, wiping it down with windex may take the Paint off.

So, instead of using windex, I used 70% Isopropyl alcohol (don't know why I grabbed that instead of the windex) but it worked fine. The paint came off better than I had painted it on. ;)

Now I have to do the ventral of the saucer, too. I'll post another picture once it get it done. I makes me wonder if I should strip the whole ship or just depend on the new stuff covering the crappy stuff. Whaddayathink? I've only applied the base coat on the other peices...but...in order for it to match...yeah...gotta do it.

I hope to get to the garage to paint this weekend, but I still wanted to give a brief update.

Thanks, as always, for reading and looking.

Steve

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #229 on: January 11, 2019, 02:07:33 pm »
Looks really cool Steve.  I know that paint stripping is a real pain.   I used brake fluid to take my paint off.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #230 on: January 11, 2019, 02:09:40 pm »
This build has turned into a real labour of love for you bud!

Learning a lot and enjoying your WIP just as much.
Iain

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #231 on: January 14, 2019, 08:22:00 am »
Looks really cool Steve.  I know that paint stripping is a real pain.   I used brake fluid to take my paint off.

Shawn

Thanks Shawn! I usually use engine degreaser, but as I didn't want the interior light blocking and the electronics to be messed up, I went with the Alcohol; which seems to have worked well - and left the primer intact. Yeay!

This build has turned into a real labour of love for you bud!

Learning a lot and enjoying your WIP just as much.

Yeah, it has, Iain. It was supposed to be an easy build. But now I'm just stubborn and OCD enough to keep fighting to get it done. Glad you're enjoying the WIP. I am learning alot, too.

Although I don't think it will ever be in an IPMS show, I'm still gonna try and make it look good. :)

Thanks for looking and commenting!

Steve

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #232 on: February 04, 2019, 01:49:15 pm »
Keep on plugging Steve!

I makes me wonder if I should strip the whole ship or just depend on the new stuff covering the crappy stuff. Whaddayathink? I've only applied the base coat on the other peices...but...in order for it to match...yeah...gotta do it.

Yup I agree.... get rid of the crappy stuff. YOu don't want it giving you grief 6 months after you finish.  ::)
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #233 on: February 05, 2019, 08:08:40 am »
Good day, Fellow Modelers!

Yup I agree.... get rid of the crappy stuff. YOu don't want it giving you grief 6 months after you finish.  ::)

Yep, that's the thought process. Thanks for the encouragement, Kevin!

So I stripped the rest of the ship down; even going so far as use a Q-Tip to get the nooks and crannies. The windows and the grid patterns were going to be much more labor intensive than their worth, so I left them as is. Besides, if they didn't come off with the alcohol, then they won't come off later. (I hope! :)  )

I did some research on some Vallejo paints and, despite that work, I still went and bought the wrong type for my airbrush. AND, the greys I purchased were too dark for what I wanted to do. Fortunately, I did buy some thinner to go with it so all is not lost. I went back to the local hobby shop and bought the Vallejo USAF Model Air paint; paint which is specifically formulated to pour right into the airbrush and BAM!, Bob's your uncle, you're ready to spray.

Now, I did listen to the advise given here on the boards and did a test paint on a separate model piece and was thrilled with the results. So, I hope to have the base down PDQ and start moving forward on this hummer soon!

Thanks for looking, reading, and commenting!

Hailing frequencies Open!

Steve

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #234 on: February 05, 2019, 02:16:11 pm »
Back on the bench baby!   Way to dig in there Steve.  It'll all be worth it in the end.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #235 on: February 06, 2019, 02:22:29 am »
Slow but sure, you will win in the end Steve......

(you missed a spot on the Port nacelle)   :b
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #236 on: February 07, 2019, 06:11:21 am »
Steve, you did the right thing stripping this back.  You might want to take some 1000 grit sandpaper to it before painting to level out the areas where the paint didn't come off.

There's a lot published on Vallejo acrylics but here's the way I use them in my Iwata AB:

*  Model Color:  I dilute this 1:1 with Vallejo Airbrush Thinner and add a drop of Airbrush Flow Improver for every 10 of Model Color

*  Model Air:  As you said, this is airbrushable right out of the bottle but I'll still add a drop of Airbrush Flow Improver to every 10 of Model Air.  I just find it keep the paint a bit wetter.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #237 on: February 08, 2019, 01:50:57 pm »
Steve, you did the right thing stripping this back.  You might want to take some 1000 grit sandpaper to it before painting to level out the areas where the paint didn't come off.

There's a lot published on Vallejo acrylics but here's the way I use them in my Iwata AB:

*  Model Color:  I dilute this 1:1 with Vallejo Airbrush Thinner and add a drop of Airbrush Flow Improver for every 10 of Model Color

*  Model Air:  As you said, this is airbrushable right out of the bottle but I'll still add a drop of Airbrush Flow Improver to every 10 of Model Air.  I just find it keep the paint a bit wetter.

Anyway, hope this helps.

AL!

It's great to having you back!

The info and formula you shared is concise and succinct and advice I haven't seen anywhere else.

I have always been a bit confused when painters state "I mix it in a 3:1 ratio." And i'm sitting over here saying "What to what?!" It's only now that I realize it is a "paint to thinner" or "paint to thinner to flow improver" ratio.

The formula you mention above has eluded me till now. So, thanks!

I did have a mishap - I can't seem to avoid them with this one - and, thinking I had not yet put airbrush cleaner in my airbrush, I sprayed the cleaning solution all over the model piece I was painting! After a purely human epithet (as opposed to a Romulan or Klingon one), I wiped the splatter off, reloaded my airbrush and reapplied the paint. It looked okay, but I do have a couple of more coats to go.

As always, thanks for reading and commenting.

Hailing frequencies open,

Steve

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #238 on: February 10, 2019, 06:46:38 am »
Steve, wow, way to hang in there!  I know what you mean about thinning paint for the AB!  My luck is a little better than 50/50 in such an endeavor, but I keep trying.  Mostly because I do not have good access to Vallejo AB paints.  Testors AB paints work quite well but the color selection is weak.

@Al, thanks for the ratio!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #239 on: February 12, 2019, 07:41:15 am »
Ladies and Gents,

Just a brief post. I was able to get alot of headway done on painting the C. The paint was wonderful, after a few hiccups, and went down smoothly and dried to the expected semi-gloss sheen.

For the engines, I decided to use the Vallejo Mecha-color and painted the blue parts first. This will allow me to mask them off and paint the base color on the engines. Angryscifimodeler used the same approach, maybe I should say, I used the same approach as he did, and it seems to have worked well for him. I tired the other way and had a terrible time trying to mask the ribs off. Oh well.

@Al - I know you said you used a 1:1 paint to airbrush thinner but, when I tried that ratio on a test target, it came out more like a wash than a paint for coverage. It could be because I used the Vallejo Mecha-color that it responded well to a 10:1 paint to thinner ratio. Still, thanks for sharing the formula/recipe as it gave me a good wash recipe for my Battlestar build!

Thanks again for commenting and posting!

Steve

Enterprise © Bloc