Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1:350 TOS Enterprise - Production Version  (Read 257 times)

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
1:350 TOS Enterprise - Production Version
« on: December 05, 2017, 08:00:21 pm »
Well i think it's time to start working on the 1:350 TOS Enterprise. This is the first time building the TOS Enterprise at this scale and the 3rd one in total. I am extremely excited to start this project so
let the planning stage being!

So I plan on going all out on this ship. I will have lights and weapons from TenaControls. I will probably make a custom display like I did with Voyager. I will need to find some nice schematics for this but there doesn't seem to be a lot out there. I will be making my own paint colors for this ship so I will be doing lots of experiments on this. For Lighting, I would like to lower the volts in the main body of the ship to 5 volts so the light is not blasting out of the windows.

Parts:

Aside for what comes in the box, I have purchased the following extra items so far:
1: 3D printed 1:350 shuttle craft. I wanted to see how a 3D printed shuttle would look. It looks pretty nice. I will use both the box version and the printed one so that I can have both the Galileo and Columbus.

2: 3D printed fan blades from Gadgetron.

3: Photoetch set for the warp engines

4: TenaControls remote control torpedo and phaser kit. As some of you may have already seen. earlier this year I posted a video of the weapons system. I replace the control board in the remote control and put it in a TOS style communicator. When I push a button on the communicator, it fires the ships weapons. This worked out real well. I used a Playmates communicator originally. A few months ago I purchased a Diamond Select communicator which is made of metal so I will put the control board in this one.

5: TenaControls 50th anniversary TOS lighting system.

6: TemaControls new silent motors for warp engines.

7:HDA Modelworx paint mask set for shuttle bay

Items I still need to order

1: Paint Masks for rest of ship (I may try to make my own since I have a cutter)

2: 1:350 Scale TOS Starship Supplemental Photoetch Set (on order)

I can't really think of anything else I might need. Does anyone else have suggestions for add on parts that I might need for this?

I will be going back through other peoples posts and reviewing videos to get other ideas on how to do things. If you have any suggestions please feel free to share!

Thanks for following!

Mike

Offline manu

• Captain
Re: 1:350 TOS Enterprise - Production Version
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 12:26:23 am »
The shuttle looks good. Did you get it from Shapeways? Cause I wanted to get one myself but it seemed unavailable.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 08:06:41 am »
MIKE! This is THE ship! The one that started it all and my absolute and all time favorite of all SciFi ships! EVER!

Okay, enough fan boy dancing!

After seeing your other builds, I know this one is gonna be SOOOO fun to follow! Besides, I am gonna be doing my own soon and am very interested in what you are gonna be doing and the why of it as well. Please, please, PLEASE, post ALOT of pictures so my pea brain can follow along!

That said, I can't think of anything else you may need of which you are unaware.

So, do you have plans for the bridge? Are you gonna use the Supplemental photoetch packet to detail the bridge? Are you thinking of lighting it?

The Supplemental pack also has stuff for the shuttlebay - are you planning to detail that, too? I see you have the paint masks for the shuttlebay, but I was wondering about the Hanger Desk viewing deck.

Have you settled on a paint scheme? You said "Production Version". Are you gonna be using the Smithsonian paint scheme or something else? Custom?

Okay enough questions.  ;) ;D

Staying tuned!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 08:15:33 am »
The shuttle looks good. Did you get it from Shapeways? Cause I wanted to get one myself but it seemed unavailable.

Yes, I did get mine from shapeways. I have ordered several products from Shapeways over the last year. I have not been disappointing yet!
I just checked the website, I was going to link to you the one I ordered but I can't seem to find it anymore. It's possible that it's not longer available.

Mike

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 08:27:16 am »
Too many questions Steve! Haha
The answer to all of your questions is pretty much YES! I will light the bridge and shuttle bay and using the photoetch parts with them. I still have lots of little 1/350 Japanese sailors so I will use them to populate the ship like I do in my refits.

I would like to add some detail to the windows. I know someone on this site made those slides with pictures of the Enterprise interior to put in front of windows and it looked pretty good. I need to scroll through the site and look to see who that was and how they did it again.

For the paint, I am going to work on mimicking the Smithsonian colors with the color chart that was supplied with the model kit. My local hobby shop has a smooth saucer kit on clearance so I am going to use that as my test ship for colors and weathering. I will probably use mixtures of Tamiya and Model Master acrylics to create the colors like I did with my refit and Voyager.

As for pictures, don't worry, I will be posting many many pictures. I generally don't post as many on here due to the size limit restrictions so I will be posting links to my Facebook page that will have all the pictures that I will take. I will also be posting videos on my Youtube page.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:33:00 am by Macupar »

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 05:25:56 pm »
I've seen a few videos with a clear bridge for this kit. Does anyone know where these came from?

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 05:40:16 pm »
I've seen a few videos with a clear bridge for this kit. Does anyone know where these came from?

I believe those came with the special commemorative editions that only 1701 kits were made. They had both clear shuttlebay and bridge pieces. Many who got those kits never even broke the shrink wrap on them. You could try casting a clear resin one using your kit piece as the master.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline Spencer

• Physicist and Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 07:18:12 pm »
There was also a lighting kit available back when the model first came out, and also a deluxe parts pack. Both included a clear bridge
and shuttle bay.

Pretty difficult to find now. Don't know if anyone is making aftermarket clear parts ...

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 08:08:16 pm »
If you can locate the lighting kit it comes with the clear parts.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 08:11:37 am »
Thanks guys. I won't be going through all that trouble to get it! I'll start work on the bridge when it arrives from HDA Modelworx

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 10:19:52 pm »
So i decided to start work on what I want my display base to look like. I am going to build one like I did with Voyager but I can not find many nice schematics like I could with Voyager. I picked a nice shot of the Enterprise and added some stuff to it. Attached is my first one. I'll probably make many, many more as I work on the ship. When I settle for one, I will make one at Aluminyze.com

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 10:52:41 pm »
Would this work? I can clean it up and increase the resolution. Even change colors.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:12:02 am by Tankton »
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 08:21:09 am »
Would this work? I can clean it up and increase the resolution. Even change colors.

That looks pretty cool. I like the blue. Maybe do the bottom in command gold? I will add this to my possible base folder. Haha. I will send you message with my email.

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 08:54:00 am »
For those who haven't seen, Here is a video I did last December on the remote control I am using to fire the weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df9wqeXGB2o

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 11:57:37 am »
I'll get a copy out to you this weekend.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Enterprise © Bloc