Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Base options  (Read 263 times)

Offline Rusty_S85

• Lieutenant
Base options
« on: December 13, 2017, 12:49:08 pm »
I did a few searches on here and unless I'm not using right words for my search I was not able to find anything.

I wanted to ask if anyone ever did a base that was a touch panel style base vs using physical momentary switches?

In my browsing for pictures of the NX photo etch pieces assembled to see what they look like I came across this LCARS posting that was a very detailed picture of the NX class profile view.  I was thinking that would make a nice base if scaled to be the same size as the 1:350 model.  Thought it would be even better if I could some how make it a touch sensitive activation system for lights.  Like touch the Warp Core to switch on the drive engine lights.  Touch the torpedo section to activate the torpedo firing circuit, etc.

Part of me thinks it might not be doable other than having the LCARS on a flexible fabric like panel and mounting switches directly under it.  But maybe there is which is why I am curious if anyone has seen anything like this done.

Offline simi

• Admiral
  • JUST enough knowledge to do some serious damage
Re: Base options
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 03:05:03 pm »
Rusty_S85,

I've played around with this and it seemed to work for me through an clear acrylic sheet.  My thoughts were to have the senors placed underneath the acrylic sheet, which would also have an LCARs transparency (and then have it be back-lit).  Anyhow, here's the original discussion - and I'd still like to see someone do this and post the how to's.

http://scifimodelaction.com/sfmaforum/index.php?topic=6917.msg89014#msg89014

Cheers!

Simi
As a software architect, I'm pretty darn good.  As someone with knowledge of building things in the real world, well, I'm a software architect.

Offline Rusty_S85

• Lieutenant
Re: Base options
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 07:00:38 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  I don't think I would have ever found that from the searches I was attempting to look for on here.

I will probably give it a try since I think it would be neat.  I didn't think about illuminating the base but that would work too.  I just think a nice smooth surface that is glass like shiny would be nice and be easier to keep clean.

This is the LCARS style profile plan I found that I was thinking about.  Only thing is it doesn't list phase cannons so I would have to figure out how to do a touch for that to activate the circuits for that.  But the others are listed and can easily be used.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 07:12:53 pm by Rusty_S85 »

Enterprise © Bloc