Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I've been published in FineScale Modeler magazine!  (Read 571 times)

Offline greg

• Captain
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
I've been published in FineScale Modeler magazine!
« on: December 10, 2017, 10:15:08 pm »
I wasn't aware of this until my friend in Canada congratulated me. I was never notified that I was going to be published.

The new issue of Finescale Modeler features my article on the cover!
http://finescale.com/issues/2018/january-2018

"Japan: New Item Report"
That's me! I'll have to order one for myself. The editor, Aaron Skinner didn't tell me it was going to be published. I just sent him an email to thank him. I offered to cover the All-Japan Model Hobby Show at the end of September and donate pictures. I said they needn't pay me, and did it as just a volunteer submission.

The purchasing page lists various articles, but mine isn't listed. It's for sure in the magazine though.
https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/product/fsm180101-c

I just purchased it, along with Aaron's book about SF modeling that has an X-Wing and the Enterprise on the cover. It'll take me a few weeks for them to arrive from Kalmbach Publishing. NEAT!

Greg

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
Re: I've been published in FineScale Modeler magazine!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 12:31:01 am »
Congrats!

My January issue arrived a few days ago. Looks like you're on page 9.

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 05:50:03 am »
Congratulations! :)

Hm, I should consider getting a subscription for this magazine. I am somewhat familiar with from before. There apparently digital downloadable editions nowadays.

Offline greg

• Captain
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 06:35:59 am »
It's a nice magazine, but they do not really do much SF kits. They recently published a book called "Out Of This World Modeling" that's a collection of various SF builds that have appeared in the magazine.

For the models I submitted to share with the magazine, I didn't include many SF kits (especially anime-related kits) because they don't really target that demographic.

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 08:28:43 am »
Yeah, if you're strictly sci-fi, they don't publish a lot of that. My subscription was actually a gift.
It might be better just to get the sci-fi specific editions or the book on it.

Off hand, I know Culttvman has a couple.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 10:50:40 pm »
That's awesome Greg! Anytime someone can get their work or efforts noticed in a national publication is terrific. I admit to just skimming through my issues of FSM most times. Most of it is way beyond my talents and I get lost halfway through a tutorial. I mainly just look at the pictures and drool and wish I was that skilled. I'll have to go back and check out your article more closely.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 11:27:53 pm »
Good job Greg!!  :)

Offline greg

• Captain
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 05:47:23 pm »
My friend sent me a scan of the page of my article. It looks like the editor selected mostly aircraft pictures and embellished a bit with giving some history on some of the more unique subjects. It calls me "FSM's special correspondent." Well I'm special! (special!) So special! (special!) I gotta have some of your attention. Give it to me!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 07:50:25 am »
My friend sent me a scan of the page of my article. It looks like the editor selected mostly aircraft pictures and embellished a bit with giving some history on some of the more unique subjects. It calls me "FSM's special correspondent." Well I'm special! (special!) So special! (special!) I gotta have some of your attention. Give it to me!

Well done, greg! Do you know the issue and the article? Would love to look it up; especially from such a "Special" correspondant! :D

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
    • Cameron's Decals and Such
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 10:35:02 am »
"FSM's special correspondent." Well I'm special! (special!) So special! (special!) I gotta have some of your attention. Give it to me!

Are you Blonde??? LOL

Congrats.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline greg

• Captain
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 11:17:29 pm »
Well done, greg! Do you know the issue and the article? Would love to look it up; especially from such a "Special" correspondant! :D
It's the January 2018 issue of FSM.

Are you Blonde??? LOL
I was quoting The Pretenders, not Blondie. ;)

I made the acquaintance of Aaron Skinner when I attended the Wonder Fest modeling event in Louisville, KY in June of last year. He was covering the event for FSM, and I was attending the event as an employee of Aoshima. (I worked there for seven months and was one of many who quit a year ago.) I submitted a few Aoshima models for their review for their magazine and/or YouTube channel. Before I quit, I contacted him and let him know that I would be quitting, but that I'd like to contribute to their magazine as an occasional foreign correspondent and was willing to do it pro-bono.

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 01:41:15 pm »
Congrats!  That's great!
Builder of all things StarShip...

Enterprise © Bloc