Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Romulan Battle Cruiser  (Read 2255 times)

Offline RockyD88

• Captain
Romulan Battle Cruiser
« on: December 22, 2017, 12:31:16 pm »
 I have built earlier versions of this kit a couple times, that being said I don't remember the earlier versions having so many fit issues, I had to do a lot of mods to get this thing together and it almost hit the trash can or the parts bin several times, but I pressed on (thanks Spencer) didn't give up and did the putty/sand/prime dance for what has seemed like an eternity.

I am almost ready for paint and final assembly...god willing :)

I am planning on remaking those stupid vent grills that are supposed to be recessed out of sheet styrene , I built some prototypes out of cards I had laying around, my evergreen order should be here tomorrow hopefully.. now I just need to come up with a decent paint scheme

here is where she sits now
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 12:42:29 pm by RockyD88 »

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
Re: Romulan Battle Cruiser
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 02:56:08 pm »
Your welcome! Looks good so far.

It's basically impossible to get styrene around here in rural WV.
No model shops and the nearest big hobby store carries none.
I almost resorted to ordering some online, but just whittled the vents down till they fit okay.

My kit had a fair amount of flash and some alignment problems also.
I actually got too much cement into the pylon/main hull joints, and ... let's just say I had some
problems.  ;)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 05:56:51 pm »
@Rocky, what is the scale and maker of this beastie?
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 07:50:25 pm »
It's basically impossible to get styrene around here in rural WV.
No model shops and the nearest big hobby store carries none.
I almost resorted to ordering some online, but just whittled the vents down till they fit okay.

I'd recommend trying to find a plastics supplier, the sort that sells acrylic sheeting. It's quite possible they actually have styrene sheet in stock, albeit in considerably larger sizes.

There's one here in Denver near where I work that I'll have to stop in and see what the styrene listed on their website actually looks like.

Offline RockyD88

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 08:59:18 am »
 polar lights 1/1000 scale

Offline RADIATION_STORM

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 05:19:30 pm »

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 05:42:03 pm »
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline RockyD88

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 05:18:05 pm »
Hello all, haven't had a ton of bench time lately, but did finally get the new side vents made and installed, pretty sure this was the look I was going for.

Offline RockyD88

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 11:36:50 am »
 spent some time nailing down my colors last night. I didn't care for how dark the colors were per the instructions, so I mixed my own with Tamiya acrylics.

hope it turns out

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 02:35:08 pm »
Cool. What mix did you decide to go with?

Offline RockyD88

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 10:18:57 am »
The dark gray is 75% Dark Gray XF-24 and 25% Flat Aluminum XF-16 its a lot lighter then the Testors Anthracite Gray that the instructions called for.
The lighter gray is 50% Dark Gray XF-24 and 50% Flat Aluminum XF-16.
For the parts that called for Testors German Silver I am going to use the Flat Aluminum XF-16.
As for the final clear coat I am going to attempt a kinda satin finish if I cant find a ready made satin clear that I like Ill mix my own although ive never done that before.

The Testors metallic colors the instructions called for were a bit too metallic for me and too dark if that makes sense.

Offline RockyD88

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 09:15:50 pm »
 Ok, back to square one on the paint scheme.

my original thought was to use the flat aluminum XF-16 with the dark gray XF-24 to make the colors semi metallic, after several tests this dosent seem to work, it comes out very blotchy and inconsistent even though I mixed the paint properly and even put it on my mini shaker( a palm sander that I Velcro the bottle to)  it still dries blotchy.

So now I am thinking of using the dark gray XF-24 and light gray XF-66 and maybe a bit of flat white to get the colors I want. I still want a semi metallic sheen on this ship so I may try a rub of metallic weathering powder over the entire thing, although ive never done that before but ive seen people do it with pretty good results.

we shall see....

Offline RockyD88

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 10:24:00 am »
 So...after a lot of trial and error I came to the conclusion that plan B for my paint colors wasn't going to work the Light Gray XF-66 made the Dark Gray too blue.

Back to plan A...using my original colors and tweaking the mix and doing a lot of  testing and overthinking the whole thing I think I finally have all my colors mixed and ready to go.

I must have mixed every shade of gray you can possibly come up with using XF-24 Dark Gray,Xf-16 Flat Aluminum and X-2 White till I finally came up with the colors that were in my head, no wonder it takes me so long to finish anything. One good thing that came out of it is I mixed the perfect silver gray for my TOS Romulan BOP totally by accident :)

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 02:36:57 pm »
That's the problem with gray paint... it isn't really gray!

I found this out when I was developing screen paint for Home Theater projector setups.    Most grays have a 'cool' look visually and they accomplish this by adding blue.  A true neutral gray has a greenish look to it (as we perceive it) and is ugly to most people so they add color to it to make it more visually appealing.  The blue really starts to come out when mixing and trying to make different shades. 

Believe it or not, to bring it back to a true gray you would add a touch (not much) of a salmon color (pinkish color).  Mixing can be very frustrating because of exactly what you just experienced.

Offline RockyD88

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 05:47:50 pm »
 that is so true... to lighten the gray I used white wich definably brought out the blue in the gray, and to darken it I tried black which believe it or not made it more blue then the white...so I went back to mixing with flat aluminum which looks blue but got a decent gray color, its pretty strange.

good tip on the salmon/pink to bring it back to true gray, I tried this with some craft paints I had and it worked well, I will have to remember that if I ever mix gray colors again (wont be soon thank God :)) I have learned a lot on this build esp about mixing custom colors.

Enterprise © Bloc