Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Romulan Battle Cruiser  (Read 2110 times)

Offline RockyD88

• Captain
Re: Romulan Battle Cruiser
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 10:51:06 am »
 Hello all, I finally started laying down some color on the actual model instead of testing on cards so this is a possible milestone on this build.

I got most of the light gray or the A color sprayed without too many issues it still has the slight metallic sheen.. but I know I am going to lose that with the clear coats which is fine as I have a plan for that.

Next step will be to let it sit for a couple days and start masking for the dark gray or B color, I am thinking about maybe spraying a bit of Future on the edges I am masking to protect the paint some not sure if that's overkill or not. what do you guys think? I really don't want any paint lifting with all this masking
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 10:58:28 am by RockyD88 »

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 03:00:19 pm »
Yeah I learned A LOT about colors and how they interact with each other as well as with different light sources.  Gray isn't gray (usually) and black isn't black...  To make black they usually have really dark tints that are more like a dark ink blue.  When you start mixing the blue hue really comes out.  The pink surprised me too, but it works and we even tested our screens with spectrophotometers, and the numbers were dead on for a neutral gray. 

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 07:33:31 pm »
Ah, the old 50 shades of starship grey ...
Sorry, couldn't resist  ;D

This is coming along nicely. Can't wait to see that big Bird of Prey pattern on it!

Offline RockyD88

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2018, 09:07:40 am »
 Thanks Spencer, I also cant wait till the bird is on that means I am almost done :)

Offline RockyD88

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2018, 12:04:05 pm »
 Hi all, so after a lot of masking I was finally able to lay down the B color...yes more gray but this time it is is the darker gray.
 boring I know but progress is progress and gets me one step closer, next step is to wait a bit and start masking for the flat aluminum which isn't gray thank god. :)
 I think I do like the contrast I am getting not sure if it shows up in the pics but it looks pretty good in real life :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 12:09:21 pm by RockyD88 »

Offline RockyD88

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2018, 09:00:09 am »
 So after a lot more masking the flat aluminum details are sprayed. the flat aluminum looks a bit bright to me but I believe that my clear coats will tone that down a lot at least it did on my test cards.
 One thing I noticed is that under my bright bench lights my A and B gray colors look a bit more metallic and glittery (if that's a word :))  then I would like, but I think my clears should tone that down too as it did on my many test cards.
 I was worried that with all this masking I would get some paint lift but believe it or not I got none. I either got lucky or Tamiya primer is really that good.
 Anyway, now I still have a few more details to mask and spray then its on to final assembly and clear coating for decals.

Offline RockyD88

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2018, 01:02:54 pm »
 Back again with another less then stellar update.
 I finally got most of the small details masked and sprayed and fixed a lot of the little things I didn't like, so I think it looks pretty good at this point.
 I had a bit of a problem while spraying my future clear coat, compressor decided to crap out halfway thru spraying the top of the hull, so I threw caution to the wind and used a wide brush to finish the rest of my hull and believe it or not the part I brushed turned out much smoother then the part I sprayed...go figure.
 anyways I am ready for final assembly and decals the end is slowly coming into sight

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2018, 12:35:19 pm »
Tis looking glorious, Rocky!

Just wondering, I've seen other builders but some sort of support, like maybe a hollow brass rod running the length of the boom, to help prevent the droop of time. Are you gonna do something like that here? Or do you think it will be able to support it's own weight?

Steady as she goes!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline RockyD88

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2018, 08:44:18 am »
 Thanks Steve,

I have built this kit 3 times and the neck is about the only thing that fits pretty tight, I did however use quite a bit of epoxy to attach it to the hull on this kit because of the amount of putty I put rebuilding the "bulb" adding extra weight.

I told myself I wouldn't build another one of these but I decided I need to do one more as I do not have a proper Klingon D-7 so on that one I may put a bit of brass rod in the neck because it is a bit flimsy, but none of my others have really drooped over time. good tip thank you.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 10:02:44 am by RockyD88 »

Offline RockyD88

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2018, 11:50:03 am »
 Well at long last its finally starting to look like something, got her pretty much assembled, shiny and ready for decals. I am leaving the impulse/docking deck off for now because I believe it will make it a bit easier to apply
 the scallop decals on the rear of the top hull.

Now that its pretty much together I am satisfied with my colors I really like the contrast, I still need to do a bit of detail painting and am toying around with the idea of a gray wash on the flat aluminum parts to kinda tone them down a bit.

I did order another kit for 2 reasons #1 being I don't have a proper Klingon D-7 so I plan on building one in the future and #2 extra romulan decals in case I mess these up, which I probably will at some point.

Believe it or not this little kit has a lot of large decals, the big bird on the bottom should be the easiest, the scallops on the top hull are another story so I am glad ill have a few extras.

Heres a couple shots of how she sits now.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2018, 07:43:19 pm »
On previous AMT kits there was definitely a need for some support, say a couple of screws to attach at the main hull.  The Revell version is snug and well supported on its own.

Love the clean lines on this build.  Looking good, and i like the glittery take.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline RockyD88

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2018, 10:02:39 pm »
 Thanks Scottminium, I do fear that I will lose a lot of the metallic sheen with my clear coats but I think I have a solution for that..we shall see.

I did manage to get the top hull scallop decals on with very few issues, only tore one (which I was able to fix) and managed to get them butted together with little problems.

just have to wait a bit and seal the top of the hull and then its time to tackle the big bird on the bottom, not looking forward to that but I do have a plan.

anyways this is how she sits at the moment

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2018, 07:33:17 am »
It's looking good, Rocky!

Love the decals! Did you get them aftermarket? If so, from whom?

Keep her going and may you never have Tribbles in your engine room! (Wait! That's Klingons!)

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline RockyD88

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2018, 09:48:54 am »
 Thanks Steve

They are actually the decals that came with the kit, Polar Lights 1/1000 Romulan Battlecruiser #POL897/12

Offline RockyD88

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2018, 12:15:50 pm »
 I do believe I am finally on the downhill on this one, all the decals are on except and that's a big except...the big bird on the bottom. most of the decals have gone down pretty good they are all relatively thick so I did have some silvering especially on the "bulb" windows and on the little insignia on the top hull, the decal on the top hull I can live with the bulb windows are another story I have been slathering them with micro set and made a couple cuts with a new #11 blade if that dosent work I may have to break out the walthers solvset which I usually avoid, but desperate times call for desperate messures ;)

She is all put together and everything looks pretty tight I am actually pleased, which is pretty rare for me.

One thing I dislike about this kit is the base.. not necessarily the normal round 2 dome base...but the stupid flimsy coat hanger like rod that goes into the back of the model. I can appreciate what round 2 was doing not wanting to mount the model thru the bottom disturbing the big bird decal...but I think I will have to make my own rod.

I like to keep my bases simple, round, black and a nice sturdy rod.

anyways sorry this got a bit longwinded but heres where she sits right now...the end is coming.

Enterprise © Bloc