Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The State of How-To Model Videos  (Read 454 times)

Offline The Man/Kind Project

• Lieutenant
The State of How-To Model Videos
« on: December 26, 2017, 03:43:00 pm »
Hi everyone -

Boyd's videos got me back into modeling, but I think it's gonna be other people's videos who are making me think twice!  If entertainment isn't your strong-suit, can I recommend that you veer away from the characters and observations?  I find myself fast-forwarding through a lot of meaningless gibberish and amateurish 'bits' that take away from what is compelling content. 

It's like taking a class in physics taught by a frustrated stand up comic.  You don't get what you came for.

Thanks Boyd for concentrating on what you're good at.  Others should follow your lead.

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
Re: The State of How-To Model Videos
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 04:51:54 pm »
So you are basically saying other people should not make videos unless they are like Boyd's. Well that's a bit rude!

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 04:28:11 am »
I like how Boyd's choice of music, is both lively and varied. :)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 08:13:49 am »
So you are basically saying other people should not make videos unless they are like Boyd's. Well that's a bit rude!

Not at all.  I'm just saying stay away from the hokey schtick and stick to what you do best - explaining your technique and approach to modeling.  Take Simon Mercs - great example.  I find myself fast-forwarding through all the bs to get to the brilliant assembly stuff.  Just my opinion.  Sorry you feel that I'm being rude.  I thought this was an open forum.

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 11:16:21 am »
You two are seemingly talking past each other. Or, perhaps not. It isn't possible for me to know for sure.

'AussieTrekkie' apparently made a point from the formal statement by 'TheMan/Kind Project' by which the logical statement making use of the phrase "(...)  but I think it's gonna be other people's videos who are making me think twice!", which "basically" (logically) makes use of "gonna" as if foreshadowing a future the poster cannot possibly know about, unless the statement takes on a 'damning' point, which is what 'AussieTrekkie' seems to have complained about.

On the other hand, 'AussieTrekkie' apparently thinks that making such a damning point is being "rude", so as to simply assume that 'TheMan/Kind Project' intentionally wanted to mean that only Boyd is competent to making interesting videos, which probably wasn't what 'TheMan/Kind Project' meant when he previously wrote "Boyd's videos got me back into modeling, but I think it's gonna be other people's videos who are making me think twice!".

Ofc, 'TheMan/Kind Project' doesn't help by adding to the confusion when having a question mark a the end of this sentence: "If entertainment isn't your strong-suit, can I recommend that you veer away from the characters and observations?" :)

Seems to me that 'TheMan/Kind Project' just want to laud Boyd's videos as being inspirational, and otherwise setting the bar for good videos about presenting how-to videos with regard to scale modeling as a hobby. :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 11:17:57 am by Decoman »

Offline Snow Goblin

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 05:59:42 am »

I've found lots of modelers I like but couldn't watch because they don't use video editing or don't focus on what's important in a tutorial. Dave's model workshop is a good example of this when he's doing a tutorial video and his daughter comes on cam. Instead of pausing the video and dealing with her he gets her involved with the tutorial or at least asks her questions like "do you think Daddy did a good job?" As a viewer who's interested in his video content his daughter being involved does nothing but get in my way. You shouldn't neglect your kids but you should edit your tutorials to not involve your kids pestering you.

The other problem you regularly see is people wanting to make a sitcom. Instead of reviewing the product or explaining the tutorial there is a 5 minute student movie at the beginning and end. This gets especially bad on some topics where after a year or two of solid content the creators get a big enough audience to start trying to make their own mini movies. Less and less content appears and more skits appear. It's frustrating if you're wanting to see a review of something and you have a guy making silly noises in a funny hat. Especially with how bad search engines are these days.

I don't think there is 1 perfect way to make a tutorial but there are some obvious ways to screw it up that we can remove with video editing or apologise for if it's a 1 time only tutorial that gets interrupted.

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 12:17:43 pm »

I've found lots of modelers I like but couldn't watch because they don't use video editing or don't focus on what's important in a tutorial. Dave's model workshop is a good example of this when he's doing a tutorial video and his daughter comes on cam. Instead of pausing the video and dealing with her he gets her involved with the tutorial or at least asks her questions like "do you think Daddy did a good job?" As a viewer who's interested in his video content his daughter being involved does nothing but get in my way. You shouldn't neglect your kids but you should edit your tutorials to not involve your kids pestering you.

The other problem you regularly see is people wanting to make a sitcom. Instead of reviewing the product or explaining the tutorial there is a 5 minute student movie at the beginning and end. This gets especially bad on some topics where after a year or two of solid content the creators get a big enough audience to start trying to make their own mini movies. Less and less content appears and more skits appear. It's frustrating if you're wanting to see a review of something and you have a guy making silly noises in a funny hat. Especially with how bad search engines are these days.

I don't think there is 1 perfect way to make a tutorial but there are some obvious ways to screw it up that we can remove with video editing or apologise for if it's a 1 time only tutorial that gets interrupted.

^this

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 12:19:24 pm »
It's good when you find a YouTube channel with an excellent host.About six years ago, I ran across Boyd's channel when he was starting out.It was fun to watch the channel grow into a first rate series and expand to this forum .I must agree there is quite a bit of filtering a viewer must do to find relevant content.In short,the guys who strike that balance of solid content and friendly atmosphere is pure gold. :)
For the fun of building art.

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 01:22:56 pm »
Opening a thread with a statement like that is surely to cause some fires to break out!!

Anyone that doesn't want to watch my videos can simply unsubscribe!

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
    • Cameron's Decals and Such
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 02:07:38 pm »
I think your videos are good Kenny. As are quite a few others.
But there are also a few out there that are trying to be the next
Saturday Night Live and you cant really follow along. I like to watch
videos to learn and pick up ideas I don't have to be entertained.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline Snow Goblin

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 03:48:13 pm »
It's good when you find a YouTube channel with an excellent host.About six years ago, I ran across Boyd's channel when he was starting out.It was fun to watch the channel grow into a first rate series and expand to this forum .I must agree there is quite a bit of filtering a viewer must do to find relevant content.In short,the guys who strike that balance of solid content and friendly atmosphere is pure gold. :)

I think the search algorithms are getting worse over time. You watch 1 video from a channel and then it just recommends that channel over and over. Rather than taking the channel's content and then giving you more with a similar theme they just spam the same channel at you. It makes it all but impossible to find something new. At this point I usually end up searching for "group build" then setting it to a week old only and searching through those. You can usually find smaller channels that way.

I'm starting to wish we had a modelers video website though. Cut through all the non-sense and just have modeling content where a search for whatever you're interested in will simply bring up videos about that model.

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 07:22:40 pm »

I think the search algorithms are getting worse over time. You watch 1 video from a channel and then it just recommends that channel over and over. Rather than taking the channel's content and then giving you more with a similar theme they just spam the same channel at you. It makes it all but impossible to find something new. At this point I usually end up searching for "group build" then setting it to a week old only and searching through those. You can usually find smaller channels that way.

I'm starting to wish we had a modelers video website though. Cut through all the non-sense and just have modeling content where a search for whatever you're interested in will simply bring up videos about that model.

Yes indeed.The search function of You Tube can make looking for particular topics a game of chance. ;) A scale modeling specific video website would be terrific!
For the fun of building art.

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 08:37:15 pm »

Thanks Cameron!

I totally agree with you! If you are gonna show a technique then do show and skip the stage show!
I am all for a little humor, cause I like to have fun, but it can get out of hand!!

Offline Snow Goblin

• Ensign
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 08:11:12 pm »

Thanks Cameron!

I totally agree with you! If you are gonna show a technique then do show and skip the stage show!
I am all for a little humor, cause I like to have fun, but it can get out of hand!!

One of my favourite modeling videos ever is a "comedy" video by Dr. Faust. He puts on a character for the entire video which means a silly voice but he still does his tutorial as a tutorial. The front 50% of everything he says is the tutorial, the second half is the character playfully mocking the viewer's skill level and trying to show off like the egotistical buffoons we see in all hobbies. The extra talking is going over video that would be their either way to show the techniques being used and I find the whole thing rather charming. It can be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijED-Sh0ThQ I geniuely hope he'll do more like it in the future, it's just such a fun little video.

I like that the video isn't attacking any one in a fake "humorous way" we see all too often these days. It's just a dude doing a silly voice and making fun of himself and that traditional comedy character of the eccentric old man many of us are going to grow into with all the glue fumes we inhale. It's simple, classic humour and it's not more about appealing to your non-hobby social circles with whatever banner you're waving than just having a giggle at how silly the hobby can be some times.

Enterprise © Bloc