Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Galactica 1/4105 Revell  (Read 380 times)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
Galactica 1/4105 Revell
« on: December 27, 2017, 06:49:41 pm »
And just after finishing the S5, it is time to start another kit I've never built-- Battlestar Galactica from the 2000s version.

After unboxing it and starting to think about lighting, a few interesting things come to mind. 

Some reviews have stated it is the Moebius kit with a new name.  From detail pics I've seen this is not the case, though fit looks pretty good after just a few test fittings.

The designers made some typically odd choices for an American company, to whit; the random presentation of the engines.  If you look at the second pic, there are three different ways the engine nozzles are done: A completely clear piece of plastic for the center that requires crazy masking and light blocking, a section that will host a clear nozzle for easy lighting, and one section that is shut off with plastic that will have to be cut away (mind you, a clear piece still fits in there).  Have any of these people ever built one of their kits?  In the last pic, the portion of the ship that houses the retracted flight pods is the focus.  This portion has some nice decals, but placing them along with painting is going to be a wicked process!  Fortunately, at least one on-line build showed a way to cheat this problem and I'm going to give it a try!
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
Re: Galactica 1/4105 Revell
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 03:46:54 pm »
After modifying the end of the upper engine pods, LEDs and associated wires were placed and sealed in place with clear gorilla glue.  While testing them in the morning I realized there was no light blocking!  At least they weren't sealed up yet.  Although builders are mixed about the engine lighting color, I went with blue instead of white.  It matches my Star Destroyer that way.  ;)
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 03:52:31 pm »
Flight pod work.
Overall fit of this kit is really quite nice, and though I pointed out some odd engineering choices, some others were spot on.  The support of the flight pod 'struts' for example, ensures they are adequately supported and won't be susceptible to 'hanging down.'

The first pic is a shot of the recessed portion of the main hull into which the flight pods would be retracted.  This area is faintly red lit.  Copying an idea I got from the web, a small box was built to house the LED.  After the gorilla glue is dry, the bottom of the box will be added to aid in light blocking.  I'll test to see if the red light is too bright and needs dimming, or if the fact it is 'side lit' is good enough to tone it down.  A side of the box will be cemented to the flat portion where the strut connects (the bay itself is curved). 

The second pic is of the top of the flight pod itself.  With 9V instead of 12 the lights are not too bright at the ends where they will be visible.  It works well...provided it can be light blocked, and the plastic is pretty thin.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 08:59:26 am »
Scott, I am looking forward to seeing a step by step of this model! While I like the original BSG, this one seemed more formidable on screen.

Thanks for pointing out the options for the engine pods; I didn't know they had given any choices in the model.

Although builders are mixed about the engine lighting color, I went with blue instead of white.  It matches my Star Destroyer that way.  ;)

;D Always an important consideration!!

Love the pink lighting in your pics! Is that from a Christmas tree near your build station?  ;)

What are you gonna do about the light blocking? External since you have the LEDs already in place?

Do you have a paint scheme? I've seen a build where they used Alclad aluminum on it for a metallic gunmetal appearance. Are you gonna try something similar?

This is great stuff! Keep going and keep posting!

So say we all!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline manu

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 06:08:03 am »
This looks interesting. I think this will be a great build.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 07:31:44 pm »
@Steve, yeah, light blocking.  I'll post another set of pics but I just went ahead and painted the whole inside with Tulip black.  After a couple coats and rechecking, they are all blocked off nicely.  The pinkish lighting is due to some grow lights nearby.  No, nothing that interesting.  I brought some pepper plants in for the winter and they live next to my desk.

As I have continued to work a number of parts in parallel, it turns out the Revell Company did pick up at least one thing from Moebius: the bad engineering that requires you to assemble multiple parts at the same time.  What do I mean?  I'll post pics later, but the problem is this; you cannot build the 'gator head' before it must be cemented to the main hull.  The gator head consists of three parts, each of which interlocks with the main hull.  The only way to put it together without flexing and snapping or otherwise modifying is to cement the lower portion to the lower hull, glue the 'lit' recessed portion of the gator to the lower hull, and then cement the upper part of the head to the upper hull before mating upper to lower.

This of course assumes that the upper and lower portions will then match up perfectly.  I wouldn't mind this, but it is not what is specified in the instructions.  If you just follow the instructions you would have to cut parts off in order to get things to assemble.  A very bad design choice, and just the thing that annoyed me with the 1/32 Moebius Viper Mk II.

One of the great plus sides of this build is the need to very carefully watch a number of Galactica episodes in order to get lighting ideas.

@Steve, as for painting, after some looks into what others have done, I'm going with black base coating then silver overcoat followed by a black wash.  Though it is really hard to see, all of the surfaces are NOT smooth and have a slight texture.  This will allow getting the hull plating effect without the need for ridiculous decal work or masking that would never be true to scale.

Happy New Year!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 07:44:09 am »
One of the great plus sides of this build is the need to very carefully watch a number of Galactica episodes in order to get lighting ideas.

Yes. Terrible that!  ::) ::) ;D But it's RESEARCH!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 06:01:30 pm »
I plan to use .1mm fiber for the lights, because while small it is the only thing that makes sense with the scale.  My #80 bits arrived today and, EPIC FAIL my pin vise cannot hold onto them.  I have 2 #77 bits remaining from an earlier project, so now we will see if the gap is too big and allows glue to get through, or if it is OK.  Tune in tomorrow to find out!

In other news, all four engine pods are now sealed up, puttied and sanded.  Next up drill holes for lights in the 'gator head' and lower main hull.  Now on to watch another episode to check on light locations.

On a different note, LHS closing down and the clearance sale was on!  1701 refit and Romulan BoP in 1/1000, and BS Pegasus 1/4105 (Moebius) are now in the stash.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 07:56:38 am »
Hey Scott!

I plan to use .1mm fiber for the lights, because while small it is the only thing that makes sense with the scale. 

Are you gonna use fiber stubs in the windows or are you gonna use fiber runs from an LED?

Asking because just pickup up BSG TOS.

On a different note, LHS closing down and the clearance sale was on!  1701 refit and Romulan BoP in 1/1000, and BS Pegasus 1/4105 (Moebius) are now in the stash. 

Nice Snag! What is the difference between BS Pegasus and BSG?

So say we all!

Steve

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 02:58:54 pm »
@Steve, as for the difference between the two, Pegasus has 2x the sublight engines, and 2x the number of flight decks and is 200m longer.  Oddly, info online seems to indicate they have nearly the same armament, so who knows what the idea was behind the bigger ship.  Either way, they are similar in appearance, but clearly different ships.  The weight of the kit is noticeably higher.

As for the current build, I've started running fiber for the 'gator head' section.  Probably two white lights, one for the upper section and one for the lower two.  Flight pod lighting is really frustrating me, but I think I have a final solution to the dilemma. 

After the flight pod recesses are lit, these will be glued into place and wired up.  After the lower half of the gator head is wired, it will be cemented to the lower hull.  Next the upper hull (and flight pod recesses) will be cemented to the lower hull, then the upper gator head added.  Some plastic will be needed here due to a gap.  Wires for connecting the flight pods and engines will be left hanging out for use later. 

Engines and flight pods will be added after painting.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 01:17:35 pm »
Been doing a lot of drilling, running fiber, gluing, checking, soldering, light blocking, you get the picture. 

At the recommendation of one builder here, I switched over to wire wrapping wire instead of magnet wire.  Wow, is that good stuff, and sooooo much easier to work with.  The wires in the last shot are indicative.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 01:35:16 pm »
Looking good, Scott!

Wire-wrapping wire?!  Do tell! What'sit?!

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 02:28:01 pm »
Looking good, Scott!

Single strand wire.  Usually 26 gauge or larger.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 05:51:02 pm »
Looking good, Scott!

Single strand wire.  Usually 26 gauge or larger.

Ah! Thanks!

Steve

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 07:34:49 pm »
Scott, I was thinking of making this my next project.  I'll be watching  your build.

Enterprise © Bloc