Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Galactica 1/4105 Revell  (Read 2686 times)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
Re: Galactica 1/4105 Revell
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 08:39:23 pm »
the wrw seems to be anywhere from 32 to 26 gauge.  It is really thin, solid core, strips with your fingernails and is really easy to work with.  Much, much better than magnet wire unless you need literally hair width.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline madmonk

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 05:32:30 am »
If you look on any auction site for Kynar wire, that's the stuff.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 08:07:40 pm »
Been wondering how to get a downward angle on the 'Galactica' nameplate lights.  After installing the strands today I'm not sure it is necessary, but before trying to trim them I will heat them with a heat gun to try and get a better angle.  The strands will be left extending past the hull until after painting, and there is no do-over after it is all sealed up!

Tomorrow the last of the 'gator head' fiber will be installed, though I don't know how I am going to route all the fiber just yet.  More pics tomorrow on the flight pods and gator head lighting.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 06:26:42 am »
Hey Scott, have you thought about using a soldering iron time manipulate the FO?

If you hold the tip of the soldering iron near, not on, the FO you can get some pretty precise angles as the FO will bend toward the heat. This allows localized heating rather than general heating as with a heat gun. I did this for my Protector and it worked great.

Food for thought.

Post pics when you can.

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 05:56:37 pm »
@Steve, love the idea of the soldering iron.  I'll give it a shot.

Today's pics show the strip LED secured in the flight pod roof.  Thin strip styrene was used to secure them it in place.

The second shot is of the 'gator head' where the fibers were secured and lit with a two step process.  First, the strands are pushed through a straw and gorilla glue is used to seal the entry into the straw.  When dry, the straw is snipped in half.  An LED is pushed into the end of another straw and gorilla glued in place.  Then the LED straw is sliced and fitted over the cut end of the other straw.  This is then taped over as a light block.  Gorilla tape seems to last forever.

The third shot is of the flight pod houses with all the lights secured in place.  The first was done with regular small guage wire, the second used wire wrapping wire and is much thinner.

Tomorrow the landing bays will get the decals, the fiber will be locked in place and they will be sealed up.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2018, 07:39:33 am »
Looking good, Scott!

On the third pic, are those light boxes you built? And then you ran the LEDs in series for the landing pods?

Keep going! Enjoying the build!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2018, 05:29:22 pm »
@Steve, yes, in the third pic you can see 2 light boxes for each of the flight pod housings.  These will be wired in parallel, and my plan is to have ALL the lights powered in parallel.  Of course, the strip LEDs in the flight pods are all or nothing, but everywhere else has at least some redundancy.  I have an inelegant plan for how to do this massively parallel wiring, and I'll post a pic when I get there.

Speaking of lighting the flight pod housings...to diffuse the light and to remove 'lines' from the cast light, larger holes were drilled and then filled with clear gorilla glue, which was then sanded smooth.  These areas will be masked before painting, and then painted with clear red.  This somewhat dimmed the light, but diffused it nicely.  I'll post a pic soon.

Tonight/tomorrow I plan to finish running the fiber in the lower gator head, which is the most dense location for lighting.  After that, I have to figure out how to get the head section to mate up correctly with the main hull.  There are some gaps, and the angles don't really look right.  If I can't resolve it I'll post some pics and hope the group can assist!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2018, 01:16:04 pm »
For today, a bit more detail on how I did the fiber.
-First jam all of the fibers into the straw.  Fill the 'go's in' end with white gorilla glue and let dry.  Snip off straw when dry, and now all the fibers should have clean ends and be secured in place.
-Solder up the light, jam it in a straw and seal with white gorilla glue.  Try not to use too much so it does not reach the LED.  One way to do this is to add the glue, then tape over the end and stand on that end so gravity helps you out.
-Trim down the straw with the light, leaving a 1/4 to 1/2 inch past the LED.  Cut this straw in a couple places.
-Slide the LED straw over the light straw, then use gorilla tape to light block.

Clear Elmer's was used to initially lock the FO strands in place.  As the FO is two or three sizes smaller than the holes, this glue is better because it tends to not penetrate the extra space.  However, prior to final assembly white gorilla glue was used to lock everything down.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 01:22:33 pm by scottminium »

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2018, 01:19:25 pm »
On the flight pods, one 'strut' is used to run power while the other is just a normal support.  Here the wires are run through the two parts of the wiring strut prior to cementing.  The tape is just protecting the FO that lights the 'marquee.'

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2018, 07:39:17 am »
Scott, not to sound too much like a fan boy, I really enjoy your builds!

The fiber optic management is looking good!

Just so I get it - did you put a straw tip around the LED then use another straw tip to bundle the fiber and then the two straw tips were glued together? That seems rather brilliant!

In the landing bays/pods, are you using SMD strip lighting? Is there an insert to go in there? Or are you going to cover the strip lighting with a scratch built peice?

Keep going!

Steve

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2018, 05:45:02 pm »
@Steve, pic #13 above shows how the strip LEDs were secured in place.  strip styrene strips cemented to hold it in place.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2018, 05:50:17 pm »
@Steve, didn't quite answer your question.  Yes, two pieces of straw.  One for the fibers, one for the LED, then one is slipped over the other to pull them together.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2018, 02:52:33 pm »
A short update for Sunday.
Wiring scheme is finalized.  All wires for the upper and lower hulls will be 'ganged' together, then joined with one wire pair before the hulls are cemented together.  Wire pairs are left for the engine pods, flight pods, and the bridge.  Painting will be done with the flight pods and engine pods unassembled.  Then the wires will be soldered, sealed, then stuffed into the main hull.

After the upper main hull wiring was soldered, each pair of wires was tested to see if it could light up the pod recesses.  If yes, then they will work with their light.  All yes!  after insulating the wires bundles they will be shoved someplace out of the way. (and one hot spot needs blacking out!)

On the 'gator head' very thin strips of styrene were used to remove a gap between it and the main hull.  Now they look straight and fit up almost seamlessly.

In the last pic, FO is secured in the lower hull, wire pairs run.  Just need to add the LED to a straw and mate up that last pair.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2018, 02:53:48 pm »
Oh, and I was wrong.  This apparently is the Moebius kit with some minor changes.  The base says "Moebius Models."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2018, 07:48:24 am »
@Steve, didn't quite answer your question.  Yes, two pieces of straw.  One for the fibers, one for the LED, then one is slipped over the other to pull them together.

Thanks for the clarification! I am going to use this on my Enterprise-C; gotta a few FO strands to a couple of lights.

Looking good, Scott!

Keep it up!

Steve

Enterprise © Bloc