Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Galactica 1/4105 Revell  (Read 3621 times)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
Re: Galactica 1/4105 Revell
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2018, 08:09:31 am »
Been out of town, then not feeling well, so it's nice to get back to it.
First for today is the mock up before major hull sections get cemented.  I am SOOOO! grateful for the tip regarding use of the oven to bring stubborn plastic into shape.  Once the flight pod housings were installed, test fitting showed the lower edges did not align quite right, and the stern section was pinched and had to be pried out.  I preheated the oven, clamped everything in the desired shape, baked for 20 minutes, then cooled.  Amazing.  Whereas before the hull sections had to be cajoled to join up, now they slide right together.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 11:08:56 am by scottminium »
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2018, 08:13:47 am »
This is what the two major hull sections look like with all the wires run.  After every solder job every affected light is tested.

Of course, right after this pic was taken the wires from the upper and lower sections were soldered and none of the lights worked.  After staring in disbelief for a few minutes I recalled a similar problem years ago.  In this case, after all the wires in the upper half were soldered and tested, they were taped primarily to make sure the wires don't sneak back in after assembly.  Alas, a little carelessness and at least one pair was touching.  After retaping, everything worked.

Attached is another pic of the lower gator head now attached.  This had to be done before the hull halves are assembled. 

Most of the tape is just to keep things out of the way for assembly.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2018, 08:16:57 am »
And the last one for now.  Wiring for the two sections joined, op test sat.  Just need to apply some 'goop' to the bare wires and then it will be ready to assemble.  Flight pods will be added when painting complete, and the jury is out on whether the engines will be installed after priming or once complete.  I am slightly concerned I may not have left myself enough wire to do the work...time will tell.

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2018, 09:16:03 am »
Hey Scott. must've missed the tip on baking parts to get them to fit!  I've soaked parts in hot water before, but haven't baked any!  Can you elaborate on the temp and time?

BTW, looking good.  You're lighting has a great deal of realism and scale.

Al

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2018, 03:28:39 pm »
Al, I got the tip on baking on another thread.  Preheat oven to 170F, clamp parts in the desired arrangement, put them in for 20 minutes.  One recommendation is to put the parts right into the freezer, but I let mine cool on the counter and that worked as well.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2018, 08:17:33 am »
Al, I got the tip on baking on another thread.  Preheat oven to 170F, clamp parts in the desired arrangement, put them in for 20 minutes.  One recommendation is to put the parts right into the freezer, but I let mine cool on the counter and that worked as well.

Scott, I have some parts on my Enterprise-C that need some baking to get into shape.

What do you use as a form? I have a wood block about the right size but the oven may not be the best place for wood. Any suggestions?

Thanks and keep posting! Love your work!

So say we all!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2018, 06:22:23 pm »
Steve,
Wood will be just fine below 451F, so 170F will be perfectly safe.  In my limited experience, you want the pieces in the form you desire when clamped--and also that they will not further deform while warming.  Clamping to a mold would be great I'd say.  On BS-75, using rubber bands and a couple of clamps to hold things in place, there wasn't any further things could go once warmed up. 

For example, if you want to form around something round, the plastic should be in the exact desired shape when you put it in the oven, then it won't go 'more round.'

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2018, 06:57:50 pm »
All sealed up and ready to primer.  Just need to mask off wires and all the joining surfaces.  Engine and flight pods will be painted separately and then added later...perhaps just after priming.

Received my bottles of Stynylrez in the mail today, ready to see how it performs!

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2018, 08:19:38 pm »
Very cool build Scott..... 

And wow.....  I can't remember the last time I poured a glass of Stynylrez.....

Cheers!!

Wolf
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2018, 08:23:34 pm »
Today the model was primed with black Stynylrez, and I have to say, I _LUV_ this primer.  Straight out of the bottle with a .5mm needle at 20psi, and it goes on wonderfully smooth.  If my fingernails are any indication, it is quite durable.  Engine pods are elsewhere, but here is a photo of the main hull and flight pods as they are set aside to cure overnight.  Also seen are the main gun batteries, which were painted silver over the black primer.  I really like the 'dirty silver' outcome.

For the rest of the model the same silver will be used with just a bit of gold added in.  Before attaching everything, areas around the pod attachment points will be painted, as will the flight pod recesses.  For the flight pod recesses some red bands will be painted before the silver/gold overcoat.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2018, 08:26:18 pm »
ImWolf, Stynylrez is best served cold.  Of course.   ;)

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2018, 12:24:03 am »
she's looking good!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2018, 08:13:12 am »
Scott, this is looking good!

Whenever I get to the part of the build, especially when I paint the exterior black for light blocking, I get this urge to leave it black and paint mirror universe marking on it! This one would look awesome!

Okay, so this is the base or undercoat for the next layer? Are you gonna use AlClad 2 chrome on it to get the greyed metallic look?

Awesome!

Can't wait to see what you're gonna do!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2018, 08:31:54 pm »
I also painted the recesses with some strips of red, but next up is silver metallic with a touch of gold.  Should have some pics tomorrow night!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2018, 08:07:04 pm »
Engine pods, flight pod recesses, upper flight pods, gator head recesses, painted.  I mixed up some more paint and will airbrush the remainder tomorrow.  Little decal issue to resolve...may be a while to complete. 

as the pics will show, the decals for the flight pod recesses have red bands here and there.  I decided to paint mine instead, with two of them being actually lit.  Pics for that tomorrow night.

Enterprise © Bloc