Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Galactica 1/4105 Revell  (Read 2534 times)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • No matter where you go, there you are.
Re: Galactica 1/4105 Revell
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2018, 08:10:48 pm »
awww heck, here's a shot of the port flight pod recess. The hardest part of this model will be getting the flight pods wires to shove into the main hull.  Not looking forward to that, though I have tested them as much as I dare!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 11:59:40 am by scottminium »
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2018, 06:58:23 pm »
Painting complete with the exception of small areas around the ends of the flight pods.  You might note the gooned up decal on the aft end of the port flight pod.  Still have to fix that.  Next step is to solder up and attach the engine and flight pods.  Giggity!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2018, 09:16:04 pm »
"Fear is the mind killer.... you will face your fear...   you will bend like a reed in the wind...."

Very nice work Scotty.....
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2018, 07:42:46 pm »
back after being gone for a week on business.  Before leaving the engine pods were attached.  Wire clearances for the flight pods are tight, and that is the next (and last) major job to be done.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 11:58:42 am by scottminium »

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2018, 06:40:13 pm »
Whew, major assembly complete!
First pic you can see the starboard flight pod wired up and the bare wires sealed.  After waiting for that to dry the wires were carefully stuffed into the main hull, with a little bit going back into the strut.  This involved a lot of cutting to allow for passage, checking of photos to see what was in the way once everything was sealed up and not visible, careful use of tweezers and toothpicks to push and prod the wires, and a bit of luck.

Second shot shows major assembly complete, lighting check sat.  I am certain there must be a better way to do the pod lighting!

Next up is placing all 24 cannon mounts, engine end bells, and possibly some 'plating' (which will be tested on the underhull first).

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2018, 07:53:07 am »
Scott, this is looking very good!

I'm lovin the metallic finish you have done. About the wires, I'm sure you did the right way of wiring it up. Sometimes the models don't like to be lighted, and you have to making it look beautiful; which you have done!

Keep it going. Wanna see this one in all it's glory!

Steve
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 10:39:33 am by MSgtUSAFRet »
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2018, 08:57:47 am »
Looks awesome Scott!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2018, 08:07:18 pm »
A lighted pic with topside final assembly complete (engine end bells and 8 guns).  Kinda odd that 16 of the 24 guns are on the underside....

In this pic you can also make out the lighted hangar bay.  After placement of all the guns tomorrow it will be time for a decal (yep, one) and some sealants.  Of course, there is still the question of the base.

I must take this time to point out that the seams issues can all be resolved one at a time, and final assembly, when no putty is possible, was frakkin tight!  Looking forward to showing off "The Bucket" when she's done.

@Steve, the metallic finish was primer of black Stynylrez (my ONLY primer now) and a coat of Testor's AB silver with a little black to dull it.

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2018, 02:58:01 pm »
Very nice Scott..... I don't imagine this kit has a retracted or retractable hanger bays option?

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2018, 05:26:50 pm »
@ImWolf, nope.  If you want retracted flight pods you will have to "cut and paste" by yourself.  Frankly, looking at the dimensions, I don't believe they could actually be retracted.  But hey, who said "never let the facts get in the way of a good story."

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2018, 06:19:33 am »
@ImWolf, nope.  If you want retracted flight pods you will have to "cut and paste" by yourself.  Frankly, looking at the dimensions, I don't believe they could actually be retracted.  But hey, who said "never let the facts get in the way of a good story."

They can be retracted!
I know it's true!!
I saw it on TV!!!

8)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2018, 06:33:31 pm »
ImWolf, did you notice your current posts are 1212, which is pretty much 2112?

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2018, 01:34:41 pm »
ImWolf, did you notice your current posts are 1212, which is pretty much 2112?

Heheh....  No, I hadn't noticed that Scott....   There I go again transposing my numbers!

I'll have to work on fixing this....    :b

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2018, 09:17:47 am »
Base painted, now all that is left is to paint a few coats of clear and trim the 'whiskers.'

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2018, 01:20:52 pm »
Finished up with clear coat and then matte, then snipped off the whiskers.  The effect is good enough, but the 'marquee' lights for the flight pods still stick out a bit.  Overall, very pleased with how this kit turned out.  Still need to fix the aft landing pad on the port flight pod, but it is likely to be a few weeks until the replacement decal shows up.

Enterprise © Bloc