Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New to model building, looking to make first build soon  (Read 58 times)

Offline Paco318

• Ensign
New to model building, looking to make first build soon
« on: December 28, 2017, 01:48:37 am »
Hello everyone,
Greetings from California!

Like the title says I'm new to model building and am looking to complete my first build soon.

For those interested here's a short account of how I found my way here. :)

I was walking through a local thrift shop earlier today hoping to maybe find some Star Trek books but found something much better. I saw a Star Trek box behind the counter and asked the clerk if I could see the box and turns out the box was a Voyager model kit. I opened the box expecting to find an incomplete model set, after all the set was almost as old as I am and the box was a bit caved in. To my surprise the set seemed to be complete with a sealed bag, instructions booklet, and decals. The original price of $35 had been marked down to $26, it must have been sitting behind the counter for a while. Being an avid Star Trek fan and excited to find anything Trek related I didn't think twice and purchased it on the spot not knowing if it was a good price.

As soon as i got home i started researching, watching youtube videos on Voyager model builds and looking through countless forum posts. I was looking though a build post on the RPF which I had joined years ago and found a link to this website and after looking through several posts I made an account knowing I had found the perfect place to share my find and seek advice from knowledgeable and friendly people.

I have no experience building models other than building a  Cylon Raider out of cardstock and super glue a few years ago.

I tried searching for a beginners guide but didn't find one so i'd like to ask a few questions here, or if it's better perhaps I should start a new post in the WIP section?

The model I have is a 1:1400 1996 Monogram Star Trek Voyager gift set which includes a Maquis ship, Kazon Raider and a base stand for all three ships.

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
Re: New to model building, looking to make first build soon
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 08:10:02 pm »
Welcome to the boards Paco....

Sounds like you're well on your way, and taking the right steps in watching videos and asking Q's.

Speaking only for myself, you really won't know how passionate you'll end up about model building until you get your hands dirty, so I wouldn't suggest spending too much on the hobby until you need something.

Also, a dozen ppl can watch the same videos and ask the same Q's, and end up building something completely different or in a different manner.....   so just do it!     :b
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: New to model building, looking to make first build soon
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 08:55:43 am »
Hey, Paco!

Welcome to the Forum!

Like Imwolf says, the best way to learn is to watch videos, join a forum, and jump in with both feet! Once here, you can ask questions and there are alot of friendly people who love helping out!

Start a thread and jump in! We all learn by doing!

Steady as she goes!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Enterprise © Bloc