Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Klingon Bird of Prey - Colors and Details  (Read 3420 times)

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
    • My Google+ Page
Re: Klingon Bird of Prey - LIGHTING
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2018, 08:32:22 pm »
Tanks manu.

Well, I'm still waiting for a couple things. Remembering to need "this and that" and so on ... Hopefully next week I can start in earnest.
So, this has given me some time to think about weathering, watching videos and reading up on it, and decided to share some of my thoughts on my
intended process.

- I'll be doing a pre-shade with black paint on the recesses before the main hull color.
- A post-shade by spraying more of the main hull color in the center of the panels. Tone it down with a blending if I have too.
  Then do the same with all the accent colors.
- A lot of the heavy streaking and similar effects I'll attempt to do with paint, either with an airbrush
  or brushed on thinned paint. Dry brushing highlights, wear and doing chipping will be done here too.
- Then a coat of Future, to seal in the acrylic and to put on and seal in the decals.
- A couple washes using odorless turpenoid dirtied up with a touch of artist's oil paints.
   (I've read in several places that turpenoid will work as long as the Future is completely cured)
- Then another coat of Future to seal that in.
- A light coat of some kind of flat so the pigments stick a bit better. I bought some Tamiya weathering pastels, but might grind up some pastel chalk to try too.
- Then some final light coats of flat to seal it all in.

I might be getting a bit ahead of myself here. But, it does give me some time if you all have any suggestions or ideas. I think this will work though.

Cheers,
Spencer
- Spock, what are the odds in getting a Royal Fizzbin ...?

- I have never computed them Captain.

Offline MiniMadnessR53

• Ensign
  • Jadon
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2018, 10:07:15 am »
What I am did ( cause im building the same kit lol ) is sprayed the main hull parts with a  black primer, this does a few things, Light blocking, and makes the green that you will put on the hull look a lot better. I have been happy with what I have done so far.

With regards to the lighting - I like what you are doing. Since I am just getting into kit building, I don't have the proper things at the moment to build my own boards ( You would think I would considering I used to build robots from scratch in Highschool haha ) So I purchased the Madman Lighting Kit for the model. The question I had was,
      - How are you laying the wires and lights in or what is your plan when you get there.
I am at a stand still because I haven't got the slightest idea on how to get the wings lit.

This is what it looks like currently. The radiator baffles need to be lightened up a bit as I feel they are too dark.
http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p495/MiniMadnessR53/20180113_050920_zpsyt3wjhej.jpg

"Per Aspera Ad Astra" and I will see you...Starside.

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2018, 01:50:52 pm »
@MiniMadnessR53

I can see where the black might help with the green color a bit (I know that's true for reds).
I'll have to think about it.

For lighting, I plan on using wire wrapping wire I got from Jerry over at HDAMODELWORX because it's small.
e.g. http://hdamodelworx.com/Wire-Wrapping-Wire-AWG28-Black_p_19.html

For main power wiring and where I'll need more current handling, I'll be using some 22 gauge wire. The wire will probably be
tacked down with CA glue and accelerator.

For window lighting, I'm using some soft white, high brightness wide angle LEDs from Lighthouse LEDs
https://lighthouseleds.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=5MMFLATTOPLEDWARMWHITE

For placement, I plan to put a few inside around the windows, and also use them for the engines, since the clear part
will be painted the right colors. I'm going to trim and bend the leads and use CA glue or low-temp hot glue to secure them in
place at roughly the right angels.

I'll also be using the same LEDs for lighting fiber optics that will run into the wings for the "spotlights" and other external lighting.
The only way I know to light the disruptors is to tear them down and rebuild them with metal tubing. You'd have to be a real black-belt
to try and drill out those plastic cannons to run a fiber. A green LED should be able to squeeze into the cavity behind the guns. Digging
out some trenches inside the wings is how I plan to do it.

For the red "boxlights", I'll be using some red LEDs and a sheet of red styrene that luckily came with my Evergreen odds and ends bag.
I'll have to build small light boxes for that.

For light blocking, I'm spraying the inside black, then maybe a layer of silver, followed by white to get more diffusion and brighten things up.
That plus primer and color on the outside should deal with most light bleed.

Spencer

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 01:52:35 pm by Spencer »

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2018, 07:59:02 pm »
Really nice work Spencer.  Thanks for posting your code also.

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2018, 12:01:39 pm »
Really nice work Spencer.  Thanks for posting your code also.

No problem!

While I wait for more (of the right) metal tubing to arrive for the disruptors, I refined the circuit schematic. The code is unchanged from before.

I'll work on some assembly, light-blocking and greebles soon, but the disruptors have become my priority now that I have what I think is a decent plan.

This also arrived in the mail Saturday. It's a socket for using SMT parts on a breadboard.

I had a sketchy way of programming the ATtiny85 on the PCB, but these sockets spoiled me when I was a student, so I broke down and bought one.
Should be making use of it in the future. Here's where I got it for those interested.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1282

Hopefully soon ...

Spencer

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2018, 07:36:18 am »
Okay, Spencer, now you're just showing off.  ;D

Oh, wait! That's what we do here anyway! Nevermind. Please continue!  ;D ;D ;)

One day, I will grow up and be able to draw electrical schematics. But it is not this day!

Looking good, Sir!

Steve

"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2018, 10:28:04 am »
@ Steve ... LOL

I learned a lot about electronics and schematics a while back, before college, from some books by Forrest Mims.
   Check some of them out if you have the time.

https://www.amazon.com/Forrest-M.-Mims-III/e/B003UGHJVE/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1516983904&sr=8-2-ent

Tubing has arrived. Lots of measurements and numbers to work through this weekend, but I'll survive.  ;)
Might need to get a good saw and miter box when I'm "in town" next week.

Spencer

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • No matter where you go, there you are.
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2018, 05:22:07 pm »
wow, that's got to be the most adventurous lighting scheme I've seen.  Well done!  And with a reference!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2018, 06:34:03 pm »
Thanks Scott. I try to be thorough.

Learning as I go on the Klingon BOP.

Such as ...
1.) My razor saw can handle cutting brass and aluminum tubing.
2.) I only have one set of snippers than can actually cut music wire.
3.) I can solder the two together with my trusty Hakko iron and rosin core solder. Still
might wind up using just CA or more likely JB Weld.

I'll be using 1/16" aluminum tubing to run the length of the cannons to put 0.75mm fiber optic in, followed by telescoping
outer layers of brass to act as spacers between the plastic bits. The tiny "barrels" will be music wire

My messing drawings

Will be hitting this hard early next week.

Cheers,
Spencer

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2018, 07:44:04 am »
Spencer,

I admire your artistry! :)

I usually use a pencil and paper to work out my details, too! (i.e. measurements, wire and light placements, Resistance notes, wire paths, etc.) It helps me think thought the process without messing up the parts.

Your plans look good!

Stay at it!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2018, 10:39:00 pm »
Thanks Steve!

First crack at rebuilding the disruptors. Just a loose fit for now.

Fairly good I would say.
A bit drained from it for now, but it should get easier.

Cheers,
Spencer

Offline manu

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2018, 01:33:41 am »
Yes fairly good Spencer. Are you kidding? These look fantastic!

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2018, 12:46:20 pm »
Yes fairly good Spencer. Are you kidding? These look fantastic!

Thanks manu!

First main cannon built and installed. MUCH more confident now, but sadly, it's all I can do until Tuesday or so.
CA glue of various thicknesses and accelerator were used to glue everything together.

Cheers,
Spencer

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • No matter where you go, there you are.
Re: Klingon Bird of Prey - Disruptor Mania!
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2018, 02:54:28 pm »
Those guns are amazing!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline modelerdave

• Lieutenant
Re: Klingon Bird of Prey - Disruptor Mania!
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2018, 11:43:08 am »
Great work on the disruptors. The lighting is fantastic.

Enterprise © Bloc