Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finally finished. TIE fighter with LED engine and cockpit lights  (Read 152 times)

Offline modelerdave

• Lieutenant
For those of you who might have seen a few WIP pics of this model, I did have flashing laser cannons as well, but after breaking them twice and having to buy two model kits for parts, then getting them working only to have them stop working as I was assembling the base and gluing in the battery case and switch, I decided to give up and call it a day. This is only my second model as an adult and I just need to leave it alone. I had already set it aside for a few months in frustration and needed it to be done.

I'm still figuring out gloss and dull coats and am not really happy that I couldn't get a smooth finish on it but I was using a rattle can on this one. Next time I'm going to airbrush (I just got a MUCH improved compressor so that should help).

Anyway, here it is. Next up is a Viper Mk VII.

Offline jazzydog

• Lieutenant
Re: Finally finished. TIE fighter with LED engine and cockpit lights
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 07:07:17 am »
Love the detail! Awesome build  8)

Offline modelerdave

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 11:45:01 am »
Thanks, Jazzy! I'm glad it's done.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 12:47:27 pm »
Ooooooo!

Nicely done, Dave! Looks awesome!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline modelerdave

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 07:07:12 am »
Thanks, Steve. I'm on a steep learning curve (and I am terrible with electronics/electricity), but I'm enjoying getting back into modeling.

Offline Tonimus

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 06:14:41 pm »
Bad-a. I dig it.

Sorry about your lighting troubles. I've just gotten into lighting myself, but I've tinkered with electronics for a long time. 555 timers are good for simple flashing control.

Offline modelerdave

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 09:05:05 am »
Bad-a. I dig it.

Sorry about your lighting troubles. I've just gotten into lighting myself, but I've tinkered with electronics for a long time. 555 timers are good for simple flashing control.

Thanks, Tonimus. It wasn't the blinking part, I just picked up a set of synchronized green SMDs from Model Train Software. I had them in, they were working, soldered them to the switch, shrink tubed them, jammed the whole thing down the new support rod, testing at every step...and then when I was bending switch into place underneath the base, they stopped working. There's really no way to take anything apart at this point, so I just have to live with it.

I am TERRIBLE with electronics so I get everything pre-made as much as possible!

Enterprise © Bloc