Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Think In Russian (Mig 31 Firefox)  (Read 1281 times)

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
Think In Russian (Mig 31 Firefox)
« on: January 13, 2018, 05:08:25 am »
Here we go (sort of).

Been champing at the bit to start this Anigrand 1/48 Mig31 Firefox since I got it at Christmas.

Should be a pretty simple build but it won't be lit apart from one little red blinking led I plan for the cockpit to emulate the homing device Clint used in the film. Detail is superb and really looking forward to building this kit.

It does'nt come with a pilot figure and TBH the cockpit is pretty basic which is annoying as it was'nt a cheap kit. But! I have found a 1/48 scale Mig 31 resin pilot figure on Ebay so I may well get that for the cockpit.

Will be a couple of weeks before I can really get started as I am in the middle of a Zvezda Star Destroyer build for a friend but I just wanted to show you what's next on the build list.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 05:17:10 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
Re: Think In Russian!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 02:59:45 pm »
I've often thought about Anigrand.  What's your view of the kit overall?
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 11:18:52 pm »
That does look like some nice detail Iain....    very crisp clean panel lines.

I really liked the movie and the "futuristic" fighter back then.
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 03:24:01 am »
Thanks guys.

Scot - the kit is excellent with little to no flash that I can see and the details are very crisp indeed. Certainly can't complain about the quality.
Iain

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 03:58:12 pm »
That looks pretty awesome. It is a very nice looking kit.

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
Re: Think In Russian (Mig 31 Firefox)
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 05:57:11 am »
Back again.

Made a start on the Firefox with work concentrating on the upper fuselage and getting the various joints sanded down smooth and level before it's putty time. This is the first resin kit I have built in years but I am not experiencing any (not yet anyway) problems at this time.

Using some CA glue to attach all the various components so making sure the canards, wings and upper stabilisers where straight/level/at the right angle to each other.

I will display this kit "in flight" so there won't be any need to have the airbrakes, undercarriage and weapon bays deployed as I want a "smooth" flying model.

It's going to be a pretty substantial kit when it's all put together (just loosely put the parts together to have a wee look at how big it will be).

Iain

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 11:46:11 am »
Wow, Iain, that is a big model!!

Thee SF on that movie, they were very good back in the day.

Looking good so far. May have to back and watch this Clint Eastwood classic!

Keep going!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 04:49:03 pm »
Could you use an aftermarket  BSG viper pilot? 

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 03:18:52 am »
Thanks guys.

Doing this build lets me watch the film all over again to get the colours right (at least that's what I tell my Eleanor).

Starsiege :-I found a 1/48 scale Mig 25 pilot on Ebay so just waiting on that to arrive so hopefully that will fit.
Iain

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 06:02:54 pm »
That looks really big for 1/48!  Could it be 1/32?  Looks awesome.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 03:57:14 am »
I'm just going by what's on the box Scott but I see what you mean as this is a big model.

The resin pilot arrived and it fits perfectly into the cockpit as supplied.

I know the helmet/flightsuit are all black so that was easy and after watching the film endlessly the cockpit is grey with the only highlights being the front console. All of this will be mostly hidden anyway but the figure and cockpit where painted as required.

The pilot's face was painted basically and the helmet face filled with Micro Krystal Klear to make a visor. I did toy with lighting up the cockpit with the gauges and so forth but as I said it would be mostly hidden so my one light is a blinking red FO to emulate the homing device doodad that Clint used.

Last on the agenda was to attach the cockpit and lower fuselage to the rest of the kit. The seams have been puttied up and I'll leave the kit alone for the next 24hrs and get back into it.

I hope you like what you see so far folks.
Iain

Online modelerdave

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 07:14:46 am »
Nice, Iain. I haven't seen that movie since it came out but the design is still great. And you're right, it's huge!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 07:23:31 am »
What's not to like, Iain!

Looking good!
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

DaveMondo

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 09:26:47 am »
Loved that movie as kid...might have to re-watch it. Like others have said, the design really hold up and still looks awesome. Interesting build!

Dave

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 05:33:36 pm »
Love the look of the kit, and now knowing the quality is good I am headed over to the Anigrand site to shop!

Enterprise © Bloc