Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CA Glue on Clear Parts - AARRRGGHHH!!!  (Read 259 times)

Offline The Man/Kind Project

• Lieutenant
CA Glue on Clear Parts - AARRRGGHHH!!!
« on: January 14, 2018, 09:23:43 am »
I have a very evident, obvious drip of CA glue down a clear canopy.  And this build was going so well.

What's the best way to get rid of it?  I was thinking of maybe tinting the canopy really dark - not sure how it will look.  Maybe create a 'low rider' version of this space craft and hang a pair of dice from a rear view mirror.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  And, if I do decide to tint the windows - what do you recommend?

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
Re: CA Glue on Clear Parts - AARRRGGHHH!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 10:19:10 am »
I have a very evident, obvious drip of CA glue down a clear canopy.  And this build was going so well.

What's the best way to get rid of it?  I was thinking of maybe tinting the canopy really dark - not sure how it will look.  Maybe create a 'low rider' version of this space craft and hang a pair of dice from a rear view mirror.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  And, if I do decide to tint the windows - what do you recommend?
The best solvent for ca is acetone, but that will attack the plastic for sure and make everything much worse.

is the canopy fixed on the model now?  glue on inside or outside?

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 12:13:52 pm »
With other glues, I've read some people were able to freeze the affected part to assist breaking the joint free.....   but CA does actually "weld" the plastic so I doubt anything will actually remove all evidence....

Sadly, your best fix is a replacement part.
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 12:59:26 pm »
See if you can use aircraft canopy finishing methods to polish it back to clear. Some aircraft models come with a mold seam right down the middle of the canopy, and builders have good luck scraping it away, sanding, then using a polishing kit. I know Tamiya makes a polishing system.

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 04:44:50 pm »
I did a search on "removing CA glue from styrene" and there are tons of suggestions out there....  everything from hot water to automotive products....

Opinions definitely vary!
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 06:41:11 pm »
In my experience the worst CA effect is that it will 'craze' styrene.  But there are a few options.
As Lynn mentioned, you can use progressively fine sanding to buff down to the plastic.  This will be a bit more difficult because the CA is harder than the plastic.  To finish you need really fine grain sanding tools.

When you finally get it smooth, a light coat of clear coat (say floor wax) will remove most all remaining teeny tiny scars provided you used 10000 or so paper to finish.

As an added bonus, if the issue is crazing, clear coat will make this disappear.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Enterprise © Bloc