Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mutara Nebula DeBoers Enterprise and Reliant Build  (Read 8398 times)

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
Mutara Nebula DeBoers Enterprise and Reliant Build
« on: January 14, 2018, 09:33:25 pm »
I like to write, A LOT, so read at your own peril.  I do this, because it is a great way for me to work through my issues, and get some feedback from all of the extremely knowledgeable people on these forums.  I am posting this in The RPF and Sci Fi Model Action forums. 

Some of you may or may not know me.  I finished a 1/350 Enterprise a few years ago and sold it.  I started work on a 1/72 Falcon and a TOS Bridge build.  Both of those projects are sitting on my shelf in various stages of completion.  For the Falcon build, I plan on keeping that model in my own collection, so not at the top of my list to work, and, I stepped on the cockpit canopy, crushing it, and that sort of crushed my will to work on the model.  She will get finished, just not now.  For my TOS Bridge build, I am on the lookout for a new display that will act as my forward viewer for the bridge.  I am also thinking of leaving this model in my collection, so not as much enthusiasm to work on it.  So, going to work on my two DeBoers kits.
I have the Enterprise with shuttle bay, and the Reliant kits.  I plan on building them concurrently.  If you have seen my older posts, I try to post EVERYTHING about what I am doing.  I will post all of the money it takes me to build it, all of the code work and hardware it takes, of course the modeling
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 10:23:36 pm by jwood314 »

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
Re: Mutara Nebula DeBoers E and R Build
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 09:34:39 pm »
HMMM, but my post cut off :(  Lookas like certain characters cause a break in the post, not sure why :(

Some of you may or may not know me.  I finished a 1/350 Enterprise a few years ago and sold it.  I started work on a 1/72 Falcon and a TOS Bridge build.  Both of those projects are sitting on my shelf in various stages of completion.  For the Falcon build, I plan on keeping that model in my own collection, so not at the top of my list to work, and, I stepped on the cockpit canopy, crushing it, and that sort of crushed my will to work on the model.  She will get finished, just not now.  For my TOS Bridge build, I am on the lookout for a new display that will act as my forward viewer for the bridge.  I am also thinking of leaving this model in my collection, so not as much enthusiasm to work on it. 

So, going to work on my two DeBoers kits.

I have the Enterprise with shuttle bay, and the Reliant kits.  I plan on building them concurrently.  If you have seen my older posts, I try to post EVERYTHING about what I am doing.  I will post all of the money it takes me to build it, all of the code work and hardware it takes, of course the modeling stuff and anything else needed to complete these guys.  Like just about everyone else on these forums, most of my work is derivative, not original.  Of course there are some original ideas in here, but a lot of it I learned/gleaned from people waaaay more knowledgeable than I am.  Here is a short list:

Simon Mercs  I have his whole video log on his DeBoers Enterprise
Orbital Drydock  he made the 5 color mask kits and has some videos on prep work for these models, I got my material listing for the fiberglass work off of those videos, I dondont know anything about fiberglass, lol.
Boyd at TrekWorks/The Model Shop  I have watched a ton of his videos, and obviously post on his forums
Steve Neill  love his shows and videos, still sad that many of his vids were taken down, a while ago.
Too many people on this forum have assisted me on my 1/350 refit, looking forward to more awesome suggestions and help!

Where to start these discussions Where to start these discussions, letlets start with what is in the pictures.  The kits are in great shape, here are some of the items I need to do:
1)   Windows need to be drilled and filed out. 
2)   Structural reinforcement
3)   Metal mounting structure probably use some sort of copper pipe and hand make them, not sure
4)   Extra surface area needs to be added to all of the major parts that are getting glued together, nacelles and saucers, especially.
5)   Need to build some jigs so I can aim the spotlight effects that go from the nacelles to the saucer section.  I REALLY dont have a large enough booth to air brush in
6)   Take a look and see if how I did the nacelle warp engine effects will work at this slightly larger scale
7)   Scratch build an arboretum Enterprise
8)   Scratch build some sort of Office thingy Enterprise
9)   Scratch build two shuttle bays Reliant might look for some sort of loading dock model kit in Z scale I think is the scale. 
10)   Upgrade the Enterprises shuttle bay
11)   Investigate the possibility of doing a motorized shuttle bay doors on the E, I talked to a mechanical engineer friend, she laughed at me when she saw the size of the area to work with!
12)    Light blocking, I used aluminum tape on my 1/350, 12)    Light blocking, I used aluminum tape on my 1/350, WONT be doing that again, adds to much weight.  I will test of a couple of different ideas, using different types of paint.
13)   Print light boxes my wife and I want to buy a 3D printer, great use to print out a bunch of light boxes.  I dont like the idea of just using a strip of LEDs to light whole sections.  If they are all individual, I can do some really cool effects via my Arduino.
14)   Main dish on the E I want to transition colors on it
15)   RCS thrusters -  will be on both models during station keeping or impulse movement
16)   For the Reliant, I want to do an Evil and Good version.  Basically, they used some Red lights to highlight differences on the ship when Khan was in charge, want to make that a switch.
17)   Need to go back over my lighting plan, it is attached to this post.
18)   I am going to do a 5 color paint scheme on these models.  I will be taking another popular 5 color masking set, up scaling it for the E and modifying it for the R and making them.  My wife has a computer controlled cutting tool that will allow me to do this, forgot the name of it though.  Silhouette I think.
19)   The bases for both models will be based off of the movie.  I really want to be able to play the movie on a display built into the base and have a bunch of cool effects in there.  Will draw something up and take some pics of what I want in there.
20)   EVERY resistor that is in a model, will have a resistor in series.  I will not change this, WAAAY to easy to blow up an LED without this.  Also, I used very high output LED lights that will be run in low power to increase their life span, I want over 20,000 MTBF on this guys.  I am thinking if I could somehow make them replaceable, not sure if that is possible though. 
21)   I need photo etch for both of these models.  I know that Elliot Brown makes it for the E and has even sold some of these kits.  However, he never answers any of my emails, not sure if I am being blocked or he doesnt like me :O
22)   I will be using the McKenzie Polytranspar Super Hide white as my base coat and their iridescent paints
23)   I will be using Vallejo acrylics for pretty much everything else.  Ease of use and they dont kill my brain cells is a definite plus on their use!
24)   Trek Modelers painting guide, a great reference on how to paint this model, and worth the $s to purchase.  I really like the green, so probably will do a green on the secondary hull instead of blue.  Arguments will now commence, lol.
25)   There will be some acrylic work, I have used Laser Fire Creations on multiple projects, great guy and great support.
26)   I want to revisit the clear material I used in my port holes.  I can go with the resin I used before, but not sure.  The holes are a bit bigger this time, so might be easier to do.  It was a PAIN to get all of the air bubbles out of the resin last time.  I have to go find the name of the stuff, but it can be purchased at Hobby Lobby or Michaels.  ClearCast I think. 
27)   I bought some new air brushes, I was using cheapo ones before, and they always had troubles working.  I now own some nice ones, fingers crossed on them working well!
28)   Panel lines and sensor lines on the saucer?  Not sure on this, I SUCK at scribing. 
29)   OH, LASERS, I am putting LASERS in these, not sure how many, how much wattage etc, but LASERS.
30)   I am sure there is more!
As I purchase stuff, I usually link where I bought it, so you can hopefully either save time or let me know of a better place to go get it!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 09:42:16 pm by jwood314 »

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 09:51:10 pm »
Update #1
Was able to work on the kit for many hours today, mainly just sanded and order material.  Oh, in the above post, you see some of the lighting plan for each model, this is about 10 pages for each model, and the numbers are there for me to hook into a my Mega Arduino control board.  Enough on that. 

Some help I am looking for.
1)   Does anyone know where I can get some shuttles and worker bees in rough scale to this model?  I have been looking and no luck.
2)   I have seen that Elliot Brown has released a photo etch kit for the Enterprise, anyone know for sure, and also how the heck to buy one, I would love to throw some money at him to get a set!
3)   

Ordered a bunch of material, here is a listing.  I am new to working in fiberglass, so, I took my BOM from Orbital Drydock

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 06:16:48 am »
Hey James, welcome back to the forum!  Last we heard, you were off to Qatar and Afghanistan.  You and your epic builds were sorely missed.  Can't tell you how many times I leaned on your Refit WIP for guidance.  Best of luck on the DeBoers builds.  Al

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 01:20:56 pm »
getting wires through the roll bar 'struts' looks fun!  That's a lot of wires.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 07:58:13 pm »
Can anyone look on the back of their Orbital Drydock masks and tell me the material the grey green masks are made from?  I have the yellow sheet, trying to figure out what was used for all of the other vinyl.  Please PM me the info.  No one makes a 5 color masking set for this, and I want to use the same material used in Brett's set.  Also, anyone have an idea what the transfer material was?  I have basically moved twice since my last modeling frenzy, and missing a lot of stuff, I am sure it is here somewhere, just can't find it.  :(

Thanks,
James

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 08:25:42 pm »
Al,

Thanks for the welcome back!  I am back from Qatar, living with the family again, and I have a 16 month window or so to get these two models completed, so off to the races!

James

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 09:46:55 pm »
Update #2

I am all over the place, trying to identify areas that need me to go order something to continue making progress on the model. 

Shot an email to Dennis to see if I could get a part in clear, no problem.  I want to get the impulse engines cast in clear.  That way, all I will need is the photo etch to overlay, save some serious time, and my scratch skills are not the greatest.

I spoke with Stan at Starling tech.  I plan on using some of his board for some of the effects on the model.  I REALLY like his deflector dish effect and he has the torpedoes with sound effect.  Both of these will save me a ton of time.  Also, Stan has given me great customer support.  I can

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 10:10:00 pm »
Super awesome news, at least for me, I have been able to speak to Eliot B on the photo etch parts.  The two biggest areas of arse pain and unknowns are pretty much addressed, masks and photo etch.   The stars are aligning!

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 08:21:52 pm »
Update #3
Spoke with Lou D, the masks are on order.  The mask set is missing a few details, I have a Silhouette, and I am going to put the wife to work creating the masks that I am missing.  I am one lucky guy.
Spoke with Eliot B, the photo etch for the E is on order, plus some really cool parts he made for this kit.  Looking forward to being able to share them with everyone.  Still working on the R

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 07:26:41 am »
James, Welcome back from the sandbox!

This is looking good! I've only seen one other DeBoers build (NemVia's) so this will be very interesting to watch come together.

Steady as she goes.

Steve

"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 09:53:25 pm »
Steve,

Thanks for the welcome back!  Super excited to be building again!

Update #4

Masking set has been ordered, woohoo!  Figured out how to get the windows drilled to a level of horizontalness that I can deal with.  I don

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 11:44:59 pm »
Update #5
While it doesn

Offline greg

• Captain
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 01:18:51 am »
HMMM, but my post cut off :(  Lookas like certain characters cause a break in the post, not sure why :(
I had the same problem and it drove me bonkers. It was the apostrophe. I had copied text from a different source and instead of the straight up and down apostrophe, it was the curved one. It's a different ASCII code and the software here doesn't recognize it. Be careful, and I am sure the curved quotation marks will do the same.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 08:33:30 am »
James, your drill outs (windows) look great! Keep going!

I had the same problem and it drove me bonkers. It was the apostrophe. I had copied text from a different source and instead of the straight up and down apostrophe, it was the curved one. It's a different ASCII code and the software here doesn't recognize it. Be careful, and I am sure the curved quotation marks will do the same.

To further the discussion - if you write anything in MSWord, for example, most of the special characters will cause the complier to freakout and drop anything following the special character. I've taken to writing most things while online to avoid any dropped messages, posts, and thoughts. Be careful here as well, if you have been logged on to long and then try and post - it will error out and drop your post, too!

Awesome site! But use at bloggers risk!  ;D ;D

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Enterprise © Bloc