Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C  (Read 9150 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C
« Reply #180 on: August 27, 2018, 10:29:02 am »
Thanks, Gents!

I saw someone else recommend cotton to help diffuse the engine lights so I can't take credit for the idea; just the application. I can claim credit for the Tulip paint on the bussard collector LED light cones. I even added some tulip paint on the secondary hull internal lights as well and it seems to be working well.

I sealed up the saucer again and have puttied the seam. I've yet to sand and smooth it down. I am puttying the nacelle/engine attachment points. I still have a lot of work to do on the model and am starting to get bogged with how much I have to yet to do.

A complicating factor is that I may have to set it aside to do an RC-135V build for my son-in-law for Christmas. I may start a thread in the Non-SciFi section of the site to help me stay on track.

This will be an interesting test of my modeling OCD as I will try to build on one while the other dries.

Thanks for the interest! I will continue as I REALLY want to see this one done.

Slow-burn Steve :)

"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #181 on: August 27, 2018, 04:33:27 pm »
Steve, the new project sounds like fun but you've got to keep plugging away at the "C".  You've got some re-work still ahead of you but the amount of quality work you've put into this kit is going to pay off.  How about if you make it a nice Christmas present to yourself!!!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #182 on: August 28, 2018, 07:22:55 am »
Steve, the new project sounds like fun but you've got to keep plugging away at the "C".  You've got some re-work still ahead of you but the amount of quality work you've put into this kit is going to pay off.  How about if you make it a nice Christmas present to yourself!!!

Thanks for the encouragement, Al! I'll keep going on the C. The rate at which I seem to build indicates that I will get done around Christmas, so, yeah, it will be a nice Christmas present to me!

Stay tuned...

Steve

"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #183 on: August 28, 2018, 07:35:16 am »
I know you'll finish this thing at some point.  It is going to awesome when finished.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
« Reply #184 on: August 28, 2018, 01:36:25 pm »
Ditto @Shawn's comment.

Slow and steady, and walking away for a bit now and then can be useful.
It isn't like when you turn your back it'll disappear through a wormhole or someth ... uh ... better not finish that sentence ...  ;D

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #185 on: September 20, 2018, 08:18:57 am »
Hey Guys!

While it has been a bit since I last posted (I mean, "I fell off the front page bit since I posted" long!) So I thought I would post a few WIP shots to show you I am back at the bench.

I wanted to let you know that your encouragements have prompted me to get back to it; sooooooo....thanks! Also, work has let up enough for me to think when I get home so I can hoist myself back to the bench with half a brain! :)

The progress so far is coming in spurts. I am at the dreaded "putty, sand, paint, repeat ad infinitum, ad nauseum cycle. But at least it's coming along and looking better. I have sealed the Saucer, puttied the seams and sanded them smooth. As so often happens when doing this process, the seam and putty looks terrible, rough, and not finished. But after running my fingernail over the seams and finding no divets or rough surfaces, I am confident the seam is finally done; at least until I put paint on it! ;)

This is showing the dosal Hanger Deck area and blinking light area. (I know! My use of techincal terms is Astounding!) As you can see, sainding this area was made more difficult by trying not to break the FO off. So far I've succeeded. I am trying to be extra careful so as to not cause me extra work later.

20180908_153940

I noticed my engine seams, the parts between the model pieces and my DLM parts, were more like gaps. I could press them closed but none of the adhesives were holding. Once I released the clamps, the seams would pop open again. I used the gorilla snot again to close them up. So far, they are holding. Despite gorilla's glue having an awful tendency to expand everywhere, I figured I could take a slow speed fissure bur to it, followed by a sanding stick, and shape it down to a more esthetic appearance. At least, that's the plan.

20180911_183922

After I had popped open the engines to insert some cotton and diffuse the bussard collector lights, I finally put the Bussard Collectors back on. I think this will be a better look this time around. Plus, I use CA, per DLM instructions, to put them back on, so they should be more securely mounted this time! (It helps when you read the instructions!) Of course, I did another light test and all is working within normal parameters. (Didja see what I did there?! :) )

20180913_213737

deckem_17 (a.k.a. Angryscifimodeler) noted that the production model of the Enterprise did not have the neck (Interconnecting Dosal (ICD)) grooves on the forward facing surface of the ship; as shown here

And it was only after searching for this picture that I noticed a small white strip running the length of the ICD; which is something I will try to duplicate in my build.

Following his lead, I smoothed out the neck; which, even when using a relatively flat fingernail file, ended up being rounded. *sigh*

20180919_212243

In re-watching deckem_17's video of his build, I wondered why he didn't just use a single peice to cover the neck rather than two peices. Well, I found out that I couldn't get an equal "showing" of the edge in profile without the two peices to manipulate. So I split the single peice I had and adjusted the "lip" before the glue set. I still got some spillage but I think this will be not show. Besides, I didn't want to spread the glue any further. I am hoping to pick it away once it is dry.

20180919_220228

I'll have to putty and sand and paint the seam I've created put the result, if only half as good as deckem_17's, should be a nice detail point.

20180919_220239

As always, thanks for the prods to keep going and for reading this far!
While I have enjoyed lurking, there really isn't anything like building and posting.

Thanks for looking and commenting!

Steve

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #186 on: September 20, 2018, 09:52:49 am »
Lookin' good Steve.  I have also heard there were a few modifications on the neck and other parts of the "C" for the different studio models.  I think it's in the eye of the beholder.  Which means the way you are doing it is exactly right.   Until you do it another way, in which case 'that' way is exactly right... until the next time..  Repeat the above to infinity.

Anyway,  I'm glad you are back up and running.  It's looking fabulous.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #187 on: September 20, 2018, 09:23:26 pm »
Looking good.  So nothing was keeping the plastic halves together?  What about CA?  It dries harder than Gorilla glue but it is also less porous.  Also, if you don't need the strength you can putty the joint and then seal the putty with CA, which then also makes a good join.
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #188 on: September 21, 2018, 07:41:57 am »
Shawn, thanks the for comments!

Scott, you too!

Looking good.  So nothing was keeping the plastic halves together?  What about CA?  It dries harder than Gorilla glue but it is also less porous.  Also, if you don't need the strength you can putty the joint and then seal the putty with CA, which then also makes a good join.

Yeah, I used CA, only on the alignment pegs, the first time but I still had gaps. I thought I could live with them - until I placed cotton in them. Then I had hairy engines. I used the GG to act as an adhesive and gap filler. May have caused myself some work, but I think I can pull the haggis from the fire with this one.

Perhaps I was in a hurry to seal them up and should have planned a bit better. Re-thinking it  - I know could have planned and implemented better.

But, the joy is in the building and the learning of what works and what doesn't.

Now I know and knowing is half the battle!

;D ;D ;D Steve

Online starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #189 on: September 23, 2018, 11:50:15 am »
Good work with the interconnect dorsal front.  The Yamaguchi had ribs added there, but Enterprise did not.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #190 on: October 04, 2018, 01:06:57 pm »
Thanks Star! I thought the ICD was smooth; I didn't notice that it had detail until only recently.

I think the secondary hull is ready for the base coat of paint. I am quite happy with the added ICD detail. It's not much, but it's mine.

20180928_222227

20180928_222321

Still working on the nacelles and pylons. I may have time next week to get them ready. Going to IPMS Austin, TX this weekend; hoping to meet up with other SFMA members!

TTFN!

Steve

Offline modelerdave

• Lieutenant
« Reply #191 on: October 04, 2018, 02:13:32 pm »
Looking good! I can't wait to see this come together. It's one of my top Starfleet ship designs. I like it much better than the Enterprise D, which I think it's too disproportioned.

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
« Reply #192 on: October 04, 2018, 10:10:45 pm »
Nice work Steve!

Always gets exciting when it's time to base coat.  :)

Enterprise © Bloc