Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mutara Nebula DeBoers Enterprise and Reliant Build  (Read 4878 times)

Offline jwood314

• Captain
Re: Mutara Nebula DeBoers Enterprise and Reliant Build
« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2018, 05:04:39 pm »
Update #52

Not a lot to talk about.  Most of what I have been doing is putty, sanding, putty, more sanding, repeat, while not quite infinite, sure seems like it.  So, to break the monotony, although I am getting close on the final three nacelles, I just worked on a single nacelle until I could shoot some primer on it.  I am pretty happy with where it is after the first coat of primer.  I am running into a problem I have seen in wood working.  In highly figured wood, or wood with a lot of lines, it is hard to see parallel lines and square corners.  So, with the whiteish base color of the resin, and the different types of filler used to build the surfaces back to flat and parallel and square, I am having a hard time visually inspecting.  So, the grey primer is AWESOME and letting me see all of the issues.  I plan on getting to a bunch of single primed parts, before I continue to clean up the imperfections.  I also shot a lot of base white today.  I am working on completing my second color board.  I plan on custom mixing colors, but by the container, so they will be consistent throughout the painting process and touch up process.  I also shot the first base coat of white on the Reliant bottom of the bottom hull.  Looks like it got sick!  The white will get evened out after 3-4 coats, with wet sanding in between coats.  I did run into a problem where I damaged an area from my hand pressure holding the paint.  I let the white dry to the touch, but the primer was softened because of this.  Some touch up is required.  Part of the issue is my air brush booth is not big enough for these LARGE pieces.  I think I lost a few brain cells painting today!  I will paint the hulls in parts now so I will always have a very well cured area to grip.  I also really need to get to the point of putting the base mounting part into the hulls.  I have also been doing work on the bases.  Progress all around!  Oh, some more parts have come in for my shuttle bay builds.

Cheers,
James

Offline jwood314

• Captain
« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2018, 08:00:06 pm »
Update #53

The 4 nacelles have the first primer coat down.  Going to let them cure for a few days before I go back and do the cleanup sanding.  I noticed I missed one or two areas per nacelle.  Bummer.  Started working on the sanding for the top of the Enterprise.  However, before I prime it, I need to cut out the windows for the O club, and cut some other holes where stuff mounts.  This will decrease the strength of said part, so the care factor will have to go way up, which also makes me sad.  I can see me destroying this part accidentally due to the holes that need to be poked throughout the top.  Headed on vacation, no work on the model for a few days.  I can actually see the end of the model assembly tunnel headed my way.  Still do not have a good answer for the sensor bands yet. 

Cheers,
James

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2018, 07:36:01 am »
Looking good, James!

Hope you are enjoying your leave!

From the looks of the windows in the saucer and how precise they are, I don't see you having any issues with the officer's lounge.

Just a small question about the main engines. Most builders of this model (no matter the scale) seem to attach the pylons to the secondary hull first and then mount the engines, yet you put the engines on first before attaching the pylons. Any particular reason why?

Not saying it's wrong, just wondered if there was an advantage to doing it your way.

Ever curious,

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline jwood314

• Captain
« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2018, 09:17:04 pm »
I looked at the best way to break the model down into sub assemblies, and as part of that grading criteria, the amount of work required to join the two sub assemblies was near the top, along with painting the area.  There are a few other reasons, but looking at the pylon to secondary hull and pylon to nacelle, the nacelle joint was WAAAYYYYY worse and will/did require much more work to get everything to line up and puttied/finished out.  The pylon to secondary hull is actually in pretty good shape.  This strategy however drove the need to build the alignment jogs for the models.  Not a lot of people want to go to that effort to try and maximize their success at getting a great result on a joint.  I had the added benefit of getting to hang out with the Dad. 

One other issue is I think the secondary hull is going to be the most difficult part of this build.  Everything that goes into it and the need to cut large chunks of it out I wanted as little stuff as possible interfering with this difficult part.  I have the wire bundles done for the nacelles, and hopefully this might be a little easier, who knows!  I am planning on making 3 different cuts on the secondary hull that will require them to be reattached.  I am cutting off the butt of the model, and 2 different cut outs on the bottom of the secondary hull.  I can't do these cuts though until I get the base mounting mounted in there, and I am going to do that step at the same time on both models, so some more work is required on the Reliant before I make these cuts. 

I wish I had a detailed plan for the sensors bads.  I will be doing some more PE work this week, and I might have cracked that problem though.  If so, then I might have a solution for the sensor bands, which would be to do all of them via PE. 

I need to do a PE part for the O club, and I thinking of designing the O club itself in sketch up to get printed at ultra fine detail.  I know I want to do real glass on the back part of the area on the model.  I could type for a while, but will stop.  :)

Great question!

Cheers,
James

Enterprise © Bloc