Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mutara Nebula DeBoers Enterprise and Reliant Build  (Read 8404 times)

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
Re: Mutara Nebula DeBoers Enterprise and Reliant Build
« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2018, 05:04:39 pm »
Update #52

Not a lot to talk about.  Most of what I have been doing is putty, sanding, putty, more sanding, repeat, while not quite infinite, sure seems like it.  So, to break the monotony, although I am getting close on the final three nacelles, I just worked on a single nacelle until I could shoot some primer on it.  I am pretty happy with where it is after the first coat of primer.  I am running into a problem I have seen in wood working.  In highly figured wood, or wood with a lot of lines, it is hard to see parallel lines and square corners.  So, with the whiteish base color of the resin, and the different types of filler used to build the surfaces back to flat and parallel and square, I am having a hard time visually inspecting.  So, the grey primer is AWESOME and letting me see all of the issues.  I plan on getting to a bunch of single primed parts, before I continue to clean up the imperfections.  I also shot a lot of base white today.  I am working on completing my second color board.  I plan on custom mixing colors, but by the container, so they will be consistent throughout the painting process and touch up process.  I also shot the first base coat of white on the Reliant bottom of the bottom hull.  Looks like it got sick!  The white will get evened out after 3-4 coats, with wet sanding in between coats.  I did run into a problem where I damaged an area from my hand pressure holding the paint.  I let the white dry to the touch, but the primer was softened because of this.  Some touch up is required.  Part of the issue is my air brush booth is not big enough for these LARGE pieces.  I think I lost a few brain cells painting today!  I will paint the hulls in parts now so I will always have a very well cured area to grip.  I also really need to get to the point of putting the base mounting part into the hulls.  I have also been doing work on the bases.  Progress all around!  Oh, some more parts have come in for my shuttle bay builds.

Cheers,
James

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2018, 08:00:06 pm »
Update #53

The 4 nacelles have the first primer coat down.  Going to let them cure for a few days before I go back and do the cleanup sanding.  I noticed I missed one or two areas per nacelle.  Bummer.  Started working on the sanding for the top of the Enterprise.  However, before I prime it, I need to cut out the windows for the O club, and cut some other holes where stuff mounts.  This will decrease the strength of said part, so the care factor will have to go way up, which also makes me sad.  I can see me destroying this part accidentally due to the holes that need to be poked throughout the top.  Headed on vacation, no work on the model for a few days.  I can actually see the end of the model assembly tunnel headed my way.  Still do not have a good answer for the sensor bands yet. 

Cheers,
James

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2018, 07:36:01 am »
Looking good, James!

Hope you are enjoying your leave!

From the looks of the windows in the saucer and how precise they are, I don't see you having any issues with the officer's lounge.

Just a small question about the main engines. Most builders of this model (no matter the scale) seem to attach the pylons to the secondary hull first and then mount the engines, yet you put the engines on first before attaching the pylons. Any particular reason why?

Not saying it's wrong, just wondered if there was an advantage to doing it your way.

Ever curious,

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2018, 09:17:04 pm »
I looked at the best way to break the model down into sub assemblies, and as part of that grading criteria, the amount of work required to join the two sub assemblies was near the top, along with painting the area.  There are a few other reasons, but looking at the pylon to secondary hull and pylon to nacelle, the nacelle joint was WAAAYYYYY worse and will/did require much more work to get everything to line up and puttied/finished out.  The pylon to secondary hull is actually in pretty good shape.  This strategy however drove the need to build the alignment jogs for the models.  Not a lot of people want to go to that effort to try and maximize their success at getting a great result on a joint.  I had the added benefit of getting to hang out with the Dad. 

One other issue is I think the secondary hull is going to be the most difficult part of this build.  Everything that goes into it and the need to cut large chunks of it out I wanted as little stuff as possible interfering with this difficult part.  I have the wire bundles done for the nacelles, and hopefully this might be a little easier, who knows!  I am planning on making 3 different cuts on the secondary hull that will require them to be reattached.  I am cutting off the butt of the model, and 2 different cut outs on the bottom of the secondary hull.  I can't do these cuts though until I get the base mounting mounted in there, and I am going to do that step at the same time on both models, so some more work is required on the Reliant before I make these cuts. 

I wish I had a detailed plan for the sensors bads.  I will be doing some more PE work this week, and I might have cracked that problem though.  If so, then I might have a solution for the sensor bands, which would be to do all of them via PE. 

I need to do a PE part for the O club, and I thinking of designing the O club itself in sketch up to get printed at ultra fine detail.  I know I want to do real glass on the back part of the area on the model.  I could type for a while, but will stop.  :)

Great question!

Cheers,
James

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2018, 07:35:15 am »
Great question!

Thanks! I have my moments!

I have a dreaded 1/537 TMP Enterprise (brick work and all) that I intend to build one day. I bought it just after I got back into the hobby and didn't know what I was looking for. So, long story short, your alignment jigs for the models technique has given hope that I might build it soon rather than later as I will take the time to make the jigs in order to get it right! I just hope you leave this pics up long enough for me to copy them! ;)

I understand how "getting to everything" drive how you assemble the model. For both of my 1/650 TOS E's, I put the nacelles together (puttied, sanded, and painted to completion) before I attached them to the secondary hull.

"Real glass" in the O club?! This I GOTTA see!

Keep going, James! I'm learning lots!

Steve

BTW, what is PE work?

"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2018, 08:14:08 pm »
PE = Photo Etch

Update #54

HUGE BREAK THROUGH, well at least for me.  I finally figured out the best way to mask off the UV layer for my photo etch work.  The solution  drum roll   putting 2 masks on top of each other to block out the UV light.  I have been having tremendous problems getting just the mask to develop and be removed from the brass.  Doubling up fixed this problem.  This introduced some smaller manageable problems that I can solve.  So, a huge ass albatross has been pulled from my neck.  Full steam ahead.  The two PE pics are of the new detail going into all 3 shuttle bays.  I am going to have to do some tweaking on line width and do a better job aligning masks, but this is solvable.  The other pic is of the holes and masking on the top saucer, she has gotten her first coat of primer.  In my enthusiasm though, I did not mask of the area where the PE is going, oh well.  I also got a second coat of base white down on the bottom of the Reliant.  I am going to do some cleanup on where some parts are glued on, but she is starting to look gooood.  Can not wait to install the electronics in there.  I did not do much model work on Saturday, instead my son and I built terrain and armies for the newly released Kill Team from Games Workshop.  He is 9 and did a wonderful job on cutting out, cleaning the parts, and gluing everything up.  I LOVED watching him build his minis.  He had so much pride when he was done, and they are his, which is really cool.  Next up, dad will prime them :) and he will paint his Kill Team up.  Super excited.

Cheers,
James

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2018, 11:24:36 pm »
Update #55

Lots O work, but sure doesn

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #112 on: September 02, 2018, 06:32:10 pm »
Update #56

Another round of primer and sanding, I think I have 2 of the 4 nacelles completed.  I started putting down the base coat for the Es saucer section.  Also, put another coat down on the Rs bottom hull.  I think I will need 2 more coats of the Rs hull.  I ended up spilling paint on the hull while air brushing today, but, if I had not done that, I would have ended up with all of my expensive lacquer white paint on the floor.  A comedy of errors almost ended up in disaster.  So, that area is what is driving the extra coat, bummer.  I also started mixing the custom greys needed for the E and R.  On the Enterprise, they are used on the planetary sensor area on the bottom and on the Reliant they are used everywhere!

I have 1 thing left on the retirement box, I need to cut the plexi that holds the flag in and drill a few holes.  So that project is complete. 

I am also almost done with the new artwork for the shuttle bay photo etch parts and the officers quarters PE part for the upper saucer section.

Progress, and I am off this week, hoping to get a lot down on them.

Cheers,
James

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #113 on: September 05, 2018, 09:21:31 pm »
Update #57

The slog is real and the pain continues!  All 4 nacelles are ready for the base coat of white, woohoo!  It has been raining cats and dogs, and even though I spray in a back room, the humidity has been really high, so no air brushing going on.  Makes me sad. 

On a good note, the photo etch part came out, most of the pics are of the kit needed to make it, minus the laminator and software.  I use Silhouette Studio, since that is what my wife owns their cutter machine.  Works well enough for what I need.   The pic with the primer on it has not been touched at all, needs some more work to get the part into the saucer and blended in. 

Last pic is of the Reliant top hull.  I am trying something different this time on sequencing.  There are a lot of pin holes, but I think the primer will fill most of them in, so will reduce my overall work load on this. 

I should be able to paint tomorrow, get a lot of white down onto parts!

Cheers,
James

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #114 on: September 06, 2018, 04:56:19 am »
Great job with that photoetch, James!  Looks like you've really nailed the process.  Looks perfectly installed too.

I guess what surprises me about these kits is the lack of overall quality in the castings.  You've had the full gamut of issues one might expect with a resin kit -- muddy or lost details, flash, voids and pinholes -- but geez, it just seems to be excessive for such an expensive kit!  It's made me rethink buying them.  What do you think?  Would you consider buying them again knowing what you know now?

Al

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #115 on: September 06, 2018, 05:49:17 pm »
I would buy them again.  Part of the issue is my inexperience in working with this type of kit.  There is no way I could have ever made a 4 foot Enterprise or 3 foot Reliant.  I enjoy the process of making these kits and experimenting with ways to be more efficient. 
However, when I cast resin parts, I always pressure cast, eliminating many of these problems.  You would need a ginormous pressure vessel to cast these really large parts.  You are going to get air bubbles with how he casts, I am amazed at how well they came out.  Also, you lose detail the more times you pull parts from the molds.  Make no mistake, the mold to cast the saucer section is in the hundreds of dollars, you will want to get as many pulls from the mold as possible before making a new mold.

Cheers,
James

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #116 on: September 11, 2018, 09:07:54 pm »
Update #58

Well, it IS STILL RAINING!  except for one day, so go some painting done on that day.  Got the primer down on the top hull, still have not looked at what needs to be cleaned up on it though.  Maybe tomorrow.  I got some more base coat white down on the bottom hulls.  Need to wet sand them though in preparation for the next coats of white.  I added some more light blocking for the RCS thrusters using the black paint in AK Lacquer series, and wow, that paint is AWESOME!  Super flat and looks amazing.  Hopefully it will also be that extra bit of light blocking will do its job!  All 4 nacelles are now prepped for their white base coats, and I have been cleaning up all of the little pieces that I have already sprayed white.  If it had not rained essentially during my entire staycation would be a little farther along, which is frustrating.  Another sad thing is that the Falcon had to get disassembled to make some more table space to hold all of the painted parts.  But hey it is LEGO, will be fun to put her back together.  Making progress.

Cheers,
James

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #117 on: September 12, 2018, 07:16:42 am »
Ya know, James, I didn't really have a sense of scale of these models until I saw you holding one of the nacelles. WHOA! That is a BIG ship! (Either that or you're a really small person!  ;D )

Otherwise, I agree with Al, you are doing an excellent job for working in an unfamiliar medium.

I'm pretty sure I know what you are talking about as far as pressure casting and pressure vessels, but I haven't seen one in action. I'll look into it.

Keep going! Due to my busy work schedule I am lurking more than contributing but I enjoy your posts!

Keep going!

Steve

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2018, 08:45:54 pm »
Steve,

The model is too big.  I should have invested in a larger painting gun and a larger air booth.  I am getting the work done at a level I want, but I keep making it harder than it should be.  For example, moving the very large nacelle around in the air booth I sometimes whack it on the air booth, causing damage to the paint I just put down, which is REALLY frustrating.  So, if I do another set of there, I am going to look into making/buying a bigger air booth and a bigger spraying mechanism. 

For the pressure vessel, I have several painting vessels I got from Harbor Freight that are good to 4 bar or about 60 PSI.  A friend and I made a much larger vessel out of 10 inch pipe with a welded end cap and another bolt on end cap.  I will pressurize this to about 75 PSI when I cast.  the weight of this is about 100 pounds though.  I move about every 2 years, and the government only pays for so much weight, so I can't get a larger vessel.  Also, the bigger the cross section the thicker the material.  I can't imagine the weight of a 3 foot wide vessel rated to 100 PSI, LOLOL, you are talking several hundred pounds and very expensive to fab or buy.

Update #59

I did not feel like doing any sanding in the last few days, but I have gotten a lot of white paint down.  The Enterprise bottom saucer section is almost done with base coat.  The little extra bits, bridge, sensor thingy and the impulse housing are about done.  I got another round of putty and sanding on the photo etch for the officer club on the E top section.  Will look at that tomorrow.  Hopefully it is ready for paint.  I need to sand the Reliant bottom and Enterprise bottom though at some point soon to get the last coats of base white on there.  I am debating on doing some painting on the bottom sections before I install the electronics.  I know I will completely paint the 5 bots off model before installing them, I think I will do the same with the aztecing on the E and R.  Not sure.  Progress continues.

Cheers,
James

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #119 on: September 18, 2018, 08:26:32 am »
That looks awesome so far.  What a project!

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Enterprise © Bloc