Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mutara Nebula DeBoers Enterprise and Reliant Build  (Read 12438 times)

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
Re: Mutara Nebula DeBoers Enterprise and Reliant Build
« Reply #135 on: December 02, 2018, 08:52:48 pm »
I love planning, almost as much fun as building!  I also love spreadsheets, and I am always the life of the party!  One of those statements is inaccurate!  LOL

Update #66

Has been a while, some family trauma has limited the build hours lately.  Most of what I have been doing though is sanding and cleaning up parts.  The first pic is of completed base white parts, got the two Reliant nacelles in there, woohoo!  I am on the 7th coat for the top Enterprise saucer.  I did a bunch of finish sanding on it and hit it with its last coat, hopefully.  I got the Reliant bottom hull sanded out and the first coat of white down.  Spent days sanding this guy, while not perfect, close.  There were some areas where I would do more damage to try and fix it than what I would end up with.  Also realize, I look at all of this through a 4x magnifying glass, so, I create a lot of my own problems.  I have talked about the resin and lacquer not playing well with each other, I have a close up of an area that has an issue.  My solution is to put down 5 coats of paint, sand flat, add another coat.  This seems to get the nice flat finish I am looking for, and there seems to be good adhesion to the resin below.  I have done some taping and violent tape removal and all is well.  I am down to just a few little touch up areas on the Enterprise nacelles.  Super close on those guys also.  I have the Reliant top stripped, and I am documenting where and what size all of the greebles are on the top of the hull.  I plan on sanding a lot of the top hull flat and putting my own detail back in.  Easiest way in the long run to get a super nice finish on this highly visible part.

I am also working with Matt over at Laserfire Creations on the bases.  I do wood working as another hobby, and plan on doing veneer work on the base to spruce it up some.  Most likely some sort of burl, I love me some burl.  Here is a link to some amazing walnut burl.

https://www.veneersupplies.com/products/AAA-Walnut-Burl-Veneer-Lot--165-x-14-6-Sheets-Per-Lot.html

Progress continues.  I really look forward to getting the electronics into the Reliant and FINALLY figuring out where I can drill that darn mounting hole!

Cheers,
James

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #136 on: December 03, 2018, 08:48:54 am »
James, first and foremost, I am sorry to hear about your family trauma. I hope you and all of your's are okay.

The limited bench time is undestandable considering both the holidays and the above. Hang tough, Buddy.

The pics look great!

Be sure to post about your base, too. Very interested.

Steady as she goes!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #137 on: December 03, 2018, 09:58:01 am »
Looks great so far.   Agreed with Steve about the Trauma.  No fun.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #138 on: December 03, 2018, 11:05:50 pm »
Thanks guys, the good news is that the wife doesn't have lung cancer, but she does have a long recovery, but will recover!

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #139 on: December 09, 2018, 06:14:56 pm »
Update #67

I have not sanded in a while, but will later this week.  I got the last coat on the Reliant base before I go sand it all flat, and then add more paint!  Progress, but slow.  I really need a bigger airbrush booth, but alasThe picture is of a pile of white parts, that I am almost happy with.  Going to wait a few days, then go over the nacelles with a fine tooth comb before declaring them base coated.  The last pic is of the mask work I am doing for the sensor dome for both the R and the E.  I am ready to cut vinyl, sometime this week.  I am concerned about how small the squares are and the cutting blade being able to cut that small, guess we shall see what the machine can do!  I have ordered the plastic to redo the greebles on the Reliant top hull.  I want as much of the cuts to be machined made as possible to keep everything clean.  Cleaned up the hobby tables, and doing work on some of the upcoming photo etch.  Oh, also ordered a buffing kit for my drill, the sheen on the E saucer top goes from gloss to semi to satin.  I need to buff it all to the same sheen, hopefully this gets me there.  Almost time to scratch build the officer mess that goes behind the glass!  Will do all of the electronics first, but getting close to needing that next step.

Progress keeps on keeping on.

Cheers,
James

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #140 on: December 10, 2018, 08:17:21 am »
Looks fantastic.   I'm really happy to hear your wife doesn't have lung cancer.  What a relief.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #141 on: December 17, 2018, 09:57:55 pm »
Huge relief on the wife, she is already getting much better every day. 

Update #68

More progress!  I was actually able to glue a part on the model! Woohoo!  I glued on the impulse crystal thingy at the rear of the upper Reliant hull.  I have done a ton of sanding on the upper hull, and I have completely replaced the greebles on the left rear portion of the hull.  1 of the pics shows the little alignment templates I made in power point to line up all of the little parallel bits and doodads that go on the hull.  I sanded the lower Reliant hull paint down and then have put three coats back on the hull.  I still need to blend in that one little area highlighted in the pic.  The upper hull is getting closer to being ready for paint, and the lower hull is getting closer to putting electronics in it.  Oh, I also got some head light polish, basically aluminum oxide in a paste, and I polished the top of the Enterprise hull.  I did this to even out the sheen across the very large very white part.  White is a pain in the butt to get even and white across the whole part.  I am pretty happy with the polished up version, and I think we will get some really cool lens flare, LOL.

Cheers,
James

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #142 on: December 18, 2018, 07:38:04 am »
Great plan on the alignment. Really good idea. 

Shawn

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #143 on: December 26, 2018, 06:43:47 pm »
I used more Power Point alignment jigs, LOL!

Update #69

Progress continues at a decent pace.  I have spent the last 1.5 weeks or so getting all of the detail replaced on the top of the Reliant hull.  I am now about done with that.  I plan on doing one more round of sounding tomorrow, install the masks for all of the windows and I still need to drill two holes.  But, that is it, then I can start shooting paint on the part, woohoo!  Hopefully will start the painting of the top hull tomorrow.  I was unhappy with the molded in squares that represent panels in the top hull, they were not very square like.  So looking at the photos from the studio models, there were raised panels on the top hull.  Not for these particular panels, but they are there.  So I took a little bit o liberty an put a quarter inch square 0.020 thick raised panel on top of each of these cast panels.  I am very happy with the outcome of how they look, much better than what was cast in, and not too far off from the studio model. 

I ordered a shapeways part for the Enterprise officer lounge.  When I get the part, will post all of the information.  The artist who designed the part was super supportive in helping me out.  His original part was for the Polar Lights kit, he was gracious enough to rescale it for this model.  More to come when it gets here.  I am excited about getting some modeling done that is is not painting something white and sanding things, LOL. 

I am still waiting on some price quotes for the bases.  Looking forward to getting that back, and the bases on order. 

I am close to have the bottom Reliant hull complete enough to install electronics. 

Some issues I am working to resolve.  How to get the Reliant top hull onto the bottom hull, there are some fitment issues there.  I am also thinking about the best way to get the top saucer screwed into the secondary hull.  I really want to have the top saucer as a complete assembly, more to come on this also.

A few pics of the redone detail on the Reliant top hull.

I hope everyone had a festive holiday season.  I am approaching 1 year on this build, which is NUTS!

Cheers,
James

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #144 on: December 27, 2018, 08:00:58 am »
Love your attention to detail. Really well thought out.

Shawn

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #145 on: December 28, 2018, 03:18:11 pm »
Update #70

Started painting the top of the Reliant and it is HORRIBLE, not sure what this resin is doing or why, but 60% or so of the top is pooling up.  It looks like water on top of a hydrophobic surface, not sure how else to describe it.  I think I will strip the whole thing AGAIN and put down adhesion promoter first then paint the white.  This part is SUPER frustrating.   Will take some pics when the anger has subsided.

Not Cheers,
James

Offline USSBonchune

• Lieutenant
« Reply #146 on: December 28, 2018, 03:57:53 pm »
Have you tried a self etching primer first? I've seen several people have to use that on other resin, and fiberglass builds.
"Second star to the right, and straight on till morning"

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #147 on: December 29, 2018, 04:59:41 pm »
That sucks James.   I feel your pain.  I

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #148 on: January 02, 2019, 12:27:15 pm »
Stick with it James.

I understand your frustration and empathize. But I know you have the skills to make this model set come to life and know that you will do so - despite the obstacles.

Never Give Up! Never Surrender!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #149 on: January 03, 2019, 09:36:48 pm »
Thanks for all of the very kind supportive words.  One benefit of this awesome board.  TY!

Update #71

Well, the first pic is of the disaster that was the lacquer on the resin Reliant upper hull.  Imagine 95% of the hull looking like this.  Disheartening to say the least.  Ok, the next pic is of the stripped hull and three coats of white lacquer back down with all of the areas prepped sanded for the next 3 coats.  This repaint was treated with the Duplicolor Adhesive Promoter.  AMAZING stuff, super happy.  I also did some testing on the strength of the bond, it takes a lot of force to pry the paint off of the resin, so also happy with the bonding strength and what that means for all of the work coming up.  I am not sure if you remember back from post #6, lol not sure if that was the one, but almost all of my paints in this project will be lacquer based, for a superior long term and strong finish.  No rubbing off and no over coat required on acrylic.  I sanded some areas down on the nacelles, not pictured, hit them with adhesion promoter and I am nearing finishing those guys, all 4, for good.  At least the base coats.  So sure am I that I spent some time completing all of the masks needed for a 5 color finish on both the E and the R.  the last pic shows my color pallet on the Reliant, I am going to add one more light grey step in there.  You can see the base color and then a light over spray of the base white to show the cut down look.  This is how I plan on painting the sensor lines back onto the hull.  Another amazing step is that I am happy with the Reliant bottom and started working to put the electronics into the part.  Super exciting.  After the morale breaking paint disaster, a tremendous amount of progress in the last few days.  Helps that I did a staycation, and also got a ton of stuff done around the house and hung out a lot with the kids.  Maybe I should no longer work?  Oh wait, bills and health insurance :(

Things are looking up!

Cheers,
James

Enterprise © Bloc