Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mutara Nebula DeBoers Enterprise and Reliant Build  (Read 8267 times)

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
Re: Mutara Nebula DeBoers Enterprise and Reliant Build
« Reply #135 on: December 02, 2018, 08:52:48 pm »
I love planning, almost as much fun as building!  I also love spreadsheets, and I am always the life of the party!  One of those statements is inaccurate!  LOL

Update #66

Has been a while, some family trauma has limited the build hours lately.  Most of what I have been doing though is sanding and cleaning up parts.  The first pic is of completed base white parts, got the two Reliant nacelles in there, woohoo!  I am on the 7th coat for the top Enterprise saucer.  I did a bunch of finish sanding on it and hit it with its last coat, hopefully.  I got the Reliant bottom hull sanded out and the first coat of white down.  Spent days sanding this guy, while not perfect, close.  There were some areas where I would do more damage to try and fix it than what I would end up with.  Also realize, I look at all of this through a 4x magnifying glass, so, I create a lot of my own problems.  I have talked about the resin and lacquer not playing well with each other, I have a close up of an area that has an issue.  My solution is to put down 5 coats of paint, sand flat, add another coat.  This seems to get the nice flat finish I am looking for, and there seems to be good adhesion to the resin below.  I have done some taping and violent tape removal and all is well.  I am down to just a few little touch up areas on the Enterprise nacelles.  Super close on those guys also.  I have the Reliant top stripped, and I am documenting where and what size all of the greebles are on the top of the hull.  I plan on sanding a lot of the top hull flat and putting my own detail back in.  Easiest way in the long run to get a super nice finish on this highly visible part.

I am also working with Matt over at Laserfire Creations on the bases.  I do wood working as another hobby, and plan on doing veneer work on the base to spruce it up some.  Most likely some sort of burl, I love me some burl.  Here is a link to some amazing walnut burl.

https://www.veneersupplies.com/products/AAA-Walnut-Burl-Veneer-Lot--165-x-14-6-Sheets-Per-Lot.html

Progress continues.  I really look forward to getting the electronics into the Reliant and FINALLY figuring out where I can drill that darn mounting hole!

Cheers,
James

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #136 on: December 03, 2018, 08:48:54 am »
James, first and foremost, I am sorry to hear about your family trauma. I hope you and all of your's are okay.

The limited bench time is undestandable considering both the holidays and the above. Hang tough, Buddy.

The pics look great!

Be sure to post about your base, too. Very interested.

Steady as she goes!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #137 on: December 03, 2018, 09:58:01 am »
Looks great so far.   Agreed with Steve about the Trauma.  No fun.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #138 on: December 03, 2018, 11:05:50 pm »
Thanks guys, the good news is that the wife doesn't have lung cancer, but she does have a long recovery, but will recover!

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #139 on: December 09, 2018, 06:14:56 pm »
Update #67

I have not sanded in a while, but will later this week.  I got the last coat on the Reliant base before I go sand it all flat, and then add more paint!  Progress, but slow.  I really need a bigger airbrush booth, but alasThe picture is of a pile of white parts, that I am almost happy with.  Going to wait a few days, then go over the nacelles with a fine tooth comb before declaring them base coated.  The last pic is of the mask work I am doing for the sensor dome for both the R and the E.  I am ready to cut vinyl, sometime this week.  I am concerned about how small the squares are and the cutting blade being able to cut that small, guess we shall see what the machine can do!  I have ordered the plastic to redo the greebles on the Reliant top hull.  I want as much of the cuts to be machined made as possible to keep everything clean.  Cleaned up the hobby tables, and doing work on some of the upcoming photo etch.  Oh, also ordered a buffing kit for my drill, the sheen on the E saucer top goes from gloss to semi to satin.  I need to buff it all to the same sheen, hopefully this gets me there.  Almost time to scratch build the officer mess that goes behind the glass!  Will do all of the electronics first, but getting close to needing that next step.

Progress keeps on keeping on.

Cheers,
James

Offline Shawn McClure

• Admiral
  • Shawn McClure
« Reply #140 on: December 10, 2018, 08:17:21 am »
Looks fantastic.   I'm really happy to hear your wife doesn't have lung cancer.  What a relief.

Shawn
To build or not to build.... that is the question.   The answer.... build... Duh.

Enterprise © Bloc