Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mutara Nebula DeBoers Enterprise and Reliant Build  (Read 7106 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: Mutara Nebula DeBoers Enterprise and Reliant Build
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2018, 07:39:54 am »
Hey, James,

Commentary about the bad molding process aside, that is a real mess.

I understand the surface area with the bubbles is quite large, given your photos, so I would tackle it one "area" at a time. I have used Perfect Plastic Putty (PPP) to fill windows that were too big and I have seen others use it to fill grid lines on the old TOS E 350 saucer with great success. I have also used nail acrylic and monomer to "paint" in the defect and shaped it once it was cured (15 mins). It finishes well.

If it were me, I would paint/smash/smear PPP into the defect in a small area, then shape it as best I could with an instrument till it set. Then, after the set, try scraping the detail back in or use a dremel, on its slowest speed, and a bur to shape the set material.

Or you could ask for a replacement piece from the maker.

Either way, a tough row to hoe!

Good luck!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2018, 08:08:02 am »
James, I'm working on a resin kit now with similar bubbles and voids, and I've found that watering down the Liquitex Modeling Paste into more of a slurry than a paste to be the best solution.  Per Steve's suggestion, I've also used PPP but keep in mind you may not get the best adhesion to resin surfaces with PPP as it's formulated for plastic.  Also, since Liquitex is made from fine marble dust, it sands perfectly smooth with wet sanding.  After thinning it with 20% water, I spatula it on and use either a putty knife or flexible squeegee to smooth it into the bubbles and remove any excess.  Wet sanding afterward with 320, 600 and 1200 paper and sponges yields a good looking surface.

I've also used Milliput, which is great for larger seams and voids in resin, but not as good for smaller gaps and bubbles.  For smaller resin seams, Zap a Gap CA glue works fine.

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2018, 03:16:32 pm »
James, I thought I'd attach a few photos of what I was referring to in my post above.  I'm re-working the Masterpiece TWA Moonliner resin kit because the major longitudinal seams on the fuselage have issues and the fuselage actually concaves towards it's midsection at another major seam.  In addition, there's the usual pits and bubbles of the sort you've found on your DeBoers kits on the landing legs, etc.

In the photos that follow, you'll see heavily sanded resin (where it's mottled from sanding), bright white sanded Milliput Putty, and then very pale white, water-diluted Liquitex.  It's been weeks of work to get it ready for priming, but all these different materials and chemistries seem to work okay together.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2018, 10:42:55 pm »
Thanks for the great ideas.  I think I am going to go with watered down Liquidtex, I  hadn't even thought of watering it down. 

I was talking to my wife last night, here Cameo Silhouette will cut 10 mil plastic.  I think I will try and cut out some pieces and take a look at just sanding everything flat and rebuilding the panels.  More thought required, however, half of the fun is the thinking!

Cheers,
James 

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2018, 08:21:20 am »
More thought required, however, half of the fun is the thinking!

Gaston: "LeFou, I'm afraid I've been thinking..."

LeFou: "...a dangerous passtime..."

Gaston: "...I know!"

;D

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2018, 09:07:06 pm »
Update #13

Lots and lots of work, but really boring looking.  Lots of prep work on the parts, sanding, I am redoing the panel lines, so I do not lose them when I paint.  My scribing skills are getting better, a lot of that has to do with having a sharp tool. :O  Lots of work with Apoxie sculpt getting the pieces to fit together perfectly.  There are several pieces that will be magnetically attached to the model, do to assembly issues and painting issues, and require a lot of work upfront to get the pieces to minimize joint lines.  My sculpting skills are also improving.   I got the 4 CNC machined acrylic grills back from Laser Fire creations, and they are amazing.  I modified all 4 nacelles to accept them and they are currently curing with some West Systems epoxy.  The good thing is that all of the rigidity of the nacelle was gone, after they were modified to receive the part, so I am glad that they are gluing and that there is some strength there again.  I have fiddle farted with the software for the cutting machine, pretty easy to use, I need to start working on all of the Reliant replacement pieces for the bottom.  I have ordered a roll of Oramask 810S for the additional paint masks needed.  I LOVE the work that Lou has done on his masks, but I want to do the refit, which will require a large number of new masks to be made.  I am looking forward to that challenge.  I have designed and made PCBs in the past, so not that hard to switch over to do some photo etch parts.  I am pulling together the pieces/parts to make that happen.  I am still hopeful to get the kit from Eliot, but regardless, I will need to develop some parts for the Reliant.  I have also done a ton of paint research work.  I have attached it all below.  AK has made a new line of lacquer paints, I am going to try those out.  I noticed in all of my previous work that lacquer has NEVER been damaged or pulled up from masking material, however, I have had several occasions where the water based acrylic paint has come up with the masks.  So, hope this works out.  come up with the masks.  So, hope this works out.  I will not be able to do all of the colors in lacquer, but at least I am hoping I can get the Reliant aztecing done with a range of lacquer based greys.  Fingers crossed.  I also will need to get my air brush set up back and running soon.  I need to go find some parts, too many PCSs, stuff disappears   I have also settled on the LEDs that are going to do the spotlight effect, when I get them made up, will take some pics.  They are 15 degree 55K MCD LEDs, so I am sanding two of them down and gluing them together to get an approximately 30 degree cone of light.  I like the look so far.  More pics on that a bit later.

Enterprise Paint
Model Master Name   #           Acril    #   Vallejo Name      #   Model Air #
Flat Pale Green      FS34227   4739           Green Sky              974      95
Neutral Gray      FS36270   4757           Medium Sea Grey   870
White         FS37875   4769           White         951      1
                                  Off White              820
Gull Gray              FS36440   4763           Deck Tan                              986      45
Light Sea Gray      FS36307   4759           Stone Grey***       884
US Navy/Blue Gray   M-485   4847           Dark Blue Grey      904      
Euro 1 Gray      FS36081   4750           Grey Green      866      55
Insignia Yellow      FS33538   4721           Flat Yellow              953      2   
                                  Golden Yellow      948      2
Radome Tan      FS33613   4722           Beige         917      74
Light Gray              FS36495   4765           Pale Grey Blue      907      
Clear Blue                    4658           Transparent Blue   938
Clear Red                    4630           Transparent Red           934
Testors Copper - 1151      4217           Copper         999
Tamiya Light Blue XF23            Light Green Blue   972      8
                                  Grey Green      971   
Model Master White Primer                 Surface Primer White   73600
Gray Primer                       Surface Primer Grey   73601

Need 4 Green/Grays for the Strong Back

Reliant Paint Colors Reliant Paint Colors  From AMT Instructions
Duck Egg Blue      FS35622   1722   ?????
Light Ghost Grey   FS36375   1728   Sky Grey      989
Flat Black      FS37038   1749   Black         950
British Crimson      99999      2009   Cavalry Brown      982
Insignia White      FS17875   1745   Gloss White      842
Intermediate Blue   FS35164   1720   Intermediate Blue    903
Aluminium      99999       
Flat Yellow      99999        
Gloss Black      FS17038   1747   Black         950
Copper         99999      
Green         99999      1734   Intermediate Green   891
Insignia Red      FS31136   1705   Flat Red      957

From NemVia
Light Grey      FS36495   1732   Pale Grey Blue      907
Underside Blue      FS15200   2123
Intermediate Blue   FS35164   1720   Intermediate Blue    903

Color Build Up
4 different shades of colors on the entire engine.
1)   Model Master Light Grey #1732 that was thinned out with paint thinner
2)   Dark off-white made with 2 parts MM #1732 Light gray, and 1 part MM #1768 Flat white.
3)   Light blueish color called Underside Blue MM#2123. This will be lightened with 2 parts Flat White MM#1732
4)   Off-White made with 2 parts Flat White MM#1732 and one part Light Gray MM#1768.
The darker colors are sprayed intermediate blue, the bridge dome is sprayed aluminum and the phaser turrets are deep yellow. These are allowed to dry for one day, then I applied 2 coats of Gloss Cote for the decals.

Look into using
White Grey       993
Sky Grey       989
Medium Sea Grey     870

Bluish - Light Sea Grey 973 mixed with white
Bluish - Sky Blue 961

AK Lacquers
White Grey
Flat White
Light Grey
NATO Black
Signal Red
Ochre
Pale Blue
Pale Grey
Egyptian Desert San
Clear Blue
Pale Sand
Maize Yellow
Libyan Army Desert Grey
Orange
Deck Tan
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 09:12:21 pm by jwood314 »

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2018, 09:19:13 pm »
Update #14

Wow, got to use the vinyl cutter for the first time and WOWOWOWOW, super looking forward to cutting custom masks for whatever is needed.  I cut strips that are going down into the nacelles, and actually getting ready to paint the first one tomorrow.  The first part to get finish paint, super excited, and only 6 weeks into this, LOLOL.  I guess that is fast, not sure.  The planetary sensors are through their first round of primer, and came out better than I had hoped, got everything cleaned up, and waiting for sunlight tomorrow to put down the second light coat of primer on them.  Working the fitting and puttying of the impulse engine crystal component.  Takes a few days, apoxie takes at least 16 hours or so before I will sand on it.  Coming along nicely though, and getting better at the whole thing.  Hopefully get the nacelle grill painted tomorrow, and start building the warp engine light boxes.  I want a painted grill to test my designs on.  Everything is moving along. 

On the equipment side, I could not find my exhaust duct thingy for my little airbrush booth, so ordered another on Ebay.  Once that gets in, I can set up my airbrush station, and start laying down final paint on some parts!  Just about done researching everything needed to do my own photo etch, will need to buy a UV light, a tank to etch in, probably get a bubbler/heated tank and the hard part, l learn another software package to draw up what I need.  I have been drawing up the replacement parts for the bottom of the Reliant, maybe cut some plastic tomorrow.

Cheers,
James

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2018, 11:00:37 pm »
Update #15

Tons of sanding, some priming, and a single piece of finished paint I needed to start work on the light boxes for the warp nacelles and I am pretty happy with the results.  There is some light leaks that need to be addressed, but not worried at all on that part.  I also went ahead and did a cut run for the Reliant replacement parts on the bottom.  I did it in card stock, and there is some tweaking needed, couple of parts to short and 1 too long, but overall, really nice, and the hard parts, angles, are all within a degree or so.  I need to finish up a few more parts, then cut some plastic, then sand that sucker flat.  So many bubbles.....gone....woohoo!

Cheers,

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2018, 04:52:12 am »
Those engine grilles are sharp!  That new vinyl cutter will spoil you!  Can't wait to see what you do with your own PE;)

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2018, 11:03:49 pm »
Thanks A|W!

Update #16

The sanding and prepping continues.  I have been working on the nacelle chiller parts, prepping them to be glued onto the nacelle.  They need to be primed and then the base white paint painted onto the inside portion of the part.  Much easier to paint that now, with the part off.  The only problem, I have to finish putting my airbrush stuff back together, which has required some parts to be ordered.  I needed a new hose and I need to track down a power supply for my booth.  I got primer down on the impulse engine assembly for the E, and I am REALLY unhappy with how my panel lines look.  They look like crap. :(  Soooo, I am in the process of filling and sanding.  In order to put the panel lines back in better, I cut out some stencils to use as something to trace against, but I really like how they look.  I went ahead and cut some 0.010 thick plastic parts out, and will glue those on and prime it up.  Fingers crossed, I think they are going to look good.  The last pic is of some 3mm FO line installed into the Es secondary hull.  Most people just shoot some light up there, but I want to be able to turn individual sections on and off, and I can not fit a light box in there, so, FO time.  The good and bad, the glue that was holding that part of the hull together sort of failed.  I needed to drill to make a hole large enough to use a coat hanger to help guide the FO down the neck, and the parts separated. Good to find out now, will go in and reinforce the area some when I close it all back up.  I have also done some RCS thruster work on one of the nacelle parts.  Unlike the saucers, which are easy to fill with some clear resin and light, these parts a little trickery.  So, I cut part of the nacelle part off and poured in some clear resin.  Going to do some testing on the results over the next few days.  If happy, will do the other 3 parts.  A little closer to getting the nacelles done.

Also, all of my photo etch etching stuff came in.  I have yet to mess with that, soon.  I was thinking of doing some custom etch to clean up the nacelles on the outside.  There are a lot of little air bubbles in the molding, and doing PE is probably a good way to redo the detail and eliminate the molding issue. 

Cheers

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2018, 07:50:04 am »
Wow, James! I agree with Al; those grills are sharp!

Love the added detail you putting on.

Looking great! Keep it going!

Steve

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2018, 11:19:26 pm »
Steve,

The encouragement is awesome!!

Update #17

The sanding and prepping continues, lol.  I was working late two nights ago, and did damage to a part while sanding and prepping, so, took a few days back on that impulse engine housing part :(, not happy at all about that.  Oh well, getting close again to getting it complete, at least the primed and sanded part.  I did some more work on the nacelles, I have to do some more light blocking on the grills.  Since they are a single piece of acrylic, the light bounces around in there pretty good, and I had to go back in with some black paint to get the edges blocked out.  Not the end of the world, but not the perfect look I was looking for.  I am hoping hitting it with some clear flat spray will get it back to the look I want.  Otherwise, not having light leak out is a bit more important than the perfect paint line.  However, the nacelles are still progressing.  I have a couple of shots of the RCS thruster housing that goes on the nacelle.  I am super happy with how it turned out.  It will need more than a single coat of primer though to get the light blocking needed.  I am also going to see it I can sand the LED down some more and wrap it in aluminum tape.  That will have a huge effect on the light blocking and getting the light where it is needed.  Will mask my one part back up tomorrow and add a few coats of primer, that should get us there.  The biggest step taken today was an error.  I am working on making some photo etch and I have been having problems with removing the photo resist in the Sodium Carbonate.  After thinking about why, it turns out the error is due to the printer I am using.  I am using an ink jet, which does not create an opaque enough film to block all of the UV light coming off of my developer finger nail light thingy.  So, tomorrow, going to go print the transparency on a laser printer, and fingers crossed, that gets us there.  Hopefully will have the parts needed to complete the two bridges tomorrow, that would be super awesome!

Cheers,
James
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 09:42:47 pm by jwood314 »

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2018, 11:01:33 pm »
Update #18

Got the nacelles with updated paint, so far so good on the light blocking.  Still have not gotten the photo etch printed, still waiting on the transparencies that work in a laser printer.  I am hoping all works out well with that.  I have the design done for the impulse engine PE and parts going on the bridge and docking ports.  Hopefully in another few days will have some completed PE to show off.  Also, have the shapes laid into the program for all of the PE that is going on the pylons for the Enterprise.  I am using an easy to use CAD program, Silhouette Studio for Business, BUT, not a lot of power in the program, so have to get really creative to draw some of the shapes.  I am concerned with the ring that helps clean up the deflector ring on the secondary hull getting drawn up.  Hopefully will get it drawn fairly accurately. 

The pics are of all of the CNC cutting machined cut plastic parts, pretty excited about getting those done.  The machine can not go through 0.020 styrene, will try it out with the deep cut blade.  The sheet styrene was scored enough that I was able to get the parts out, they will all need some sanding before getting glued into the hull.  For the really complicated cut part, I went down to 0.010 thick styrene and cut two parts to be glued back together.  I will need to build up the courage to just scrape all of the detail off of the cast hull.

The other pic is of the PE design for the impulse engine cover.  It is close to the original part, I am running into a capability gap of the CAD program, I can not go back in and thin out some of the horizontal lines, as seen in the studio part.  I am doing some research to come up with a plan.  I have some ideas, but it would be a ton of work for this detail.  Oh, ignore the filler on the part :)

Cheers,
James

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2018, 12:50:54 pm »
Hey James, this is still looking great!

In update #17, what is Slide 1? I may have missed it but I can make head nor tails of it.

Your Impulse Engines look very nice!

Keep it up!

Steve

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2018, 09:42:07 pm »
Steve,

That is my failed attempt at doing photo etch.  The reason why it failed was the use of an ink jet printer, the printer, even a very good one, cannot print the black dense enough to consistently block out the UV light, so the inconsistent removal of the photo resist, causing the failed effort.  I plan on printing a laser transparency tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Update #19

The battle continues via sandpaper, putty and added paint.  Lots of progress across many fronts.  I completed one of my light boxes for the warp nacelle, with all of the diffusion built in, looks great as a box, but a picture looks really bad.  Also, all of my nacelles are taped up for primer and base coat, so will not be able to verify the effect for a while.  Will take some pics when that gets done.  My laser transparency paper came in, hopefully get the printed tomorrow and get my first parts made up tomorrow night that is the goal.  Today, I got the impulse engines formed up and the clear resin poured, will take it apart tomorrow and prep the part for the white base coat, so that is exciting.  I will also be able to glue down my new 0.005 thick panels, hopefully the look cool, will add to more parts of the model if they do.  I think a little dimensionality will set this model off.  I cut my first complex shape for masking, 99% there, I can then go in and do all of the extra cuts needed to paint the sensor dome that is exciting.  The cool thing is that the outline works on both the E and R, saving some time, finally, on something, LOLOL.  The paint scheme is different between the two models.  Next pic is of the nacelles getting an area with the base coat white.  I needed to get this put down before I glue in the chiller grills.  I wanted all of the white that I will not be able to get to, to get painted, before gluing and priming.  Hopefully the final product will look great, not just good.  Next pic is of a white sensor done, excited and SAD.  The camera sure shows a lot of little nits, that I cannot see under 4x magnification :(  Last pic is of the three remaining RCS thrusters and Impulse Engine letting the resin cure, takes a day or so.  Continual progress on the model, couple hours a night, one day, will be complete!

Cheers,
James

Enterprise © Bloc