Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mutara Nebula DeBoers Enterprise and Reliant Build  (Read 1962 times)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • No matter where you go, there you are.
Re: Mutara Nebula DeBoers Enterprise and Reliant Build
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2018, 06:46:56 pm »
Wow, some incredible work going on here.  Just when I think I might have figured something out along comes a real artist with a big helping of humble pie!  This is really a fun build to watch, and holy crap are there a lot of lights in the saucer section!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline jwood314

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2018, 11:45:45 am »
Scott,

Super humbled by your very kind comments.  LOL, definitely not an artist.  I am SUPER looking forward to showing people what those lights in the saucer section are going to do.

Steve,
My photo etch problem is not the ink jet, I think. :O  I ran off some transparencies on a laser printer and the opaqueness of that transfer is not much better than the ink jet.  So, I GREATLY reduced my exposure time under the UV lights, and this seems to really be working.  Still working on the correct amount of time in the soda ash bath though.  Getting better every production run though.

Update #20

The epic battle of resin model kit construction continues with the main players being sandpaper, putty, filler, elbow grease, primer, tape and paint.  Phewww, just typing that makes me sad.  The first assembly I plan on completing for both models are the nacelles and their mounting piece.  The first pic shows the warp grill side completely primed.  This is just the first coat.  I need to go back in a fix all of the little dings that I have a hard time seeing in all white.  Pictures also help to show where some issues are, the lens never lies!  You can also see the bridge for both models have their first coating of primer.  The primer on the photo etch parts is SUPER light.  I plan on putting down some white, and then actually using a wash to help bring out the PE details.  I need to start working on the masks for the bridge and planetary sensor part soon.  These piece will be magnetically attached to the saucer section.  I will need to install all of the LEDs though before the magnets go in.  Will probably do the electronics before all of the detail paint goes in, both have their pluses and minuses though.  Next pic shows the opposite side of the nacelle before gluing the chiller grills on.  I need to put down some white where the piece goes.  I have glued on the chiller grills, I have not started the putty work though on that.  Tonight.  Once both piece are primed and cleaned up, I will do a mock up assembly of both nacelle parts, I must do this so I can drill the holes needed for the strobe and crystal holes.  Then all of the electronics go in, and prep for gluing the nacelles together.  Next three pics are of my first acceptable photo etch I have been able to produce.  Most of my problems have to do with the exposure of the film and the removal of the film in the soda ash solution.  I am getting closer to the correct times on the equipment I am using.  It sucks that my pic is not focused well, but you can see how small some of the details are in the air lock door.  I would like to see the equipment a pro company uses, maybe get better on how I do the process, not sure.  So, next steps are to work the RCS thrusters onto the nacelle parts and work all of the putty work on the nacelles.  This is a few days of work.

Cheers,
James

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2018, 07:34:51 am »
Looking good, James!

Your cleanliness puts me to shame!

Steady as she goes!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline jwood314

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2018, 11:55:50 am »
Steve,

Thanks!!! 

Update #21

LOL, sand, putty, glue, sand, putty, glue, prime, sand, putty, sand, putty, sand, putty, prime again?  LOL  Resin kits are cool, but WOW, they are a TON of extra work.  Of course, I want to go buy some more kits!  I am looking into the studio scale Enterprise, still working on the Wife.  Hopefully, these guys get built and sold relatively quickly, then on to the 8 footer.  That would be cool, fun to dream though, right!  Unusual to post so quickly, but I got all of the RCS thrusters glued into the nacelles yesterday, and the first round of 28, putty rounds put down.  Really happy with how they went on, and the parts are pretty darn square considering how every surface is curved.  Also, these are the first parts with LEDs installed and put into the model.  I wanted to minimize the amount of material removable to get everything to fit, and making the holes big enough to install LEDs later was a sub optimal solution.  Here is my #1 tip about building lit models.

ALL LEDS THAT ARE TO BE INSTALLED INTO THE MODEL WILL HAVE A SERIES RESISTOR.

Do not ever break this rule, ever.  You will rue the day when you break this rule, and blow up an LED buried DEEP in your model, which will require major surgery to remove and major reconstructive surgery to reinstall.  Some of the electronics I have, have the series resistor on the board, these resistors will be moved to the LED, period, end of story.  Enough on that topic!

Last item, look at that amazingly straight line I cut into the nacelle by hand.  Super straight, AMAZING.  Ok, that is a little bit of sarcasm.  At least no one will every see the butcher job I did on the nacelle.  Probably no updates for a while, all I have to do is sand and putty work for the next few nights.

Cheers,
James

Offline jwood314

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2018, 09:35:42 pm »
Update #22

Well, here are all of the parts I have gotten through their first primer shot.  The wife is out of town this weekend, so a lot of sanding coming up.  Hopefully will get through all of the touch up on the 8 nacelle parts and the 2 bridge parts this weekend and start getting electronics in them.  This leads to a cool problem, I need to start working on the E and R pylons.  The plan is to complete the pylon and nacelle as an assembly.  The second pic, or first, depending on they upload, shows some paint being pulled up.  I left a mask on the bridge under tension for 2 weeks or so, and it damaged the paint.  I am 99% sure that all of the parts were washed, I did not use adhesion promoter though on the bridge parts, will use that on the big saucer sections for sure.  So, first paint down, and first paint repair, already, lolol, actually :(
Does not look like a lot but 2.5 months into the project, I have a bunch of filled in holes, lol and 12 grey parts, some with paint damage.  LOLOLOL.  Oh well.

Cheers,
James

Offline jwood314

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2018, 08:49:39 pm »
Update #23

I would show another shot of all my parts grey, but not a lot of reason to.  I got through a round of sanding and putty on them, so they are getting closer to getting done, well at least this step.  However, in the case of 1 step forward 2 back, lol, I had an epiphany while looking at plastruc at HobbyTown, with kids in tow.  I always have my best epiphanies at hobby stores.  I have been unhappy about how the grills look on the nacelles, and while looking at the styrene, why do not I stack up some styrene strips to make new grills for the front end of the nacelles.  So I am going to get some strips, I did not know what size to buy at the store, so could not get them today, but will soon.  This will allow me to clean up the front ends much nicer and to paint the grills off model, which will also present a much cleaner look.  The sanding and putty work shall continue though.  I have what I need to work on the Es pylons and get them going, so that is next on the list.

Cheers,

James

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2018, 08:49:07 am »
James, nice epiphany!

If the pic "presentation 1" is your's, then I wouldn't bother with rebuild; they look fine to me. But, if "presentation 1" is not yours, then do you have a plan for forming the strips? Knowing you have woodworking skill extraordinaire, are you gonna make a form from wood, then heat the strips to lay them down on the form? Sounds do-able. I would love to know how you're gonna do it! :)

Keep going and keep us informed!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline jwood314

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2018, 11:19:56 am »
The pic is from the 8 foot studio model.  I have some ideas on the strips more to come.  Will post success and or failure also.

Offline jwood314

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2018, 07:46:20 pm »
Update #24
So, there is a series of steps that have to happen before I can glue up the nacelles, with the largest one being getting the pylons in shape for both the E and the R.  As part of the Pylon Finishing Operation 2.0, I plan on installing a lot of CnC cut plastic inserts to clean up the mold work and also create super crisp inserts that go into these pylons.  I do not like what came on the molded parts, the detail was blurred out, and the mold line runs down the middle of it.  As a guy who has done a lot of casting, you have to put your mold line somewhere, and overall for the part and the shape of the part, you were kind of stuck putting it here.  Overall the pylons on both models are fantastic, so do not take that the wrong way!  So hopefully the first few photos are of the test cut inserts showing where they are going into the pylons.  The next two pics are of DESTRUCTION!  Oi, my Dremel work leaves a lot to be desired.  However, I am sitting at 8 or 9 rounds of putty and sanding, the inserts recesses are coming along quite nicely.  The problem is that there is some knife work required and if I screw up, I get to redo some putty and sanding work.  That has happened a few times, which is frustrating.  However, my skill level is increasing.  I can see my XP bar filling up every night I work on this, LOLOL.  If only I could grind out some levels quicker and easier though.  Last shot is of all of the wires on the Reliant pylons, looks like a lot, there are not enough, which also makes me sad.  There are 4 photon torpedoes in the roll bar, but each of those torpedoes needs 2 control wires, 2 reds and 1 white per torpedoes.  So quick wire summary for the roll bar

8 torpedoes
1 nav ?
1 strobe ?
2 phaser cannon thingies
1 evil red lights, there are 4 of them, they are one when Khan controls the ship, I did not see evidence that they are on when he does does not control the ship.  So the plan is to add another 8 wires on the other nacelle, that would give me plenty to cover the requirements and still have a few.

Looking at the wires for the nacelles there are 8 wires, with two of them being a bit larger in gauge.  One of those would be ground and the other for the warp engines.

1 warp engine, needs to be 24AWG or higher, actually caries a lot of current due to the number of LEDs in the LED tape.
1 RCS
1 Strobe
1 Nav??
1 2 lights at the front of the nacelle
2 spots?
1 warp crystal thingy

Looks like we have enough wires for the nacelles, woohoo!  The progress continues, slowly, but relentless?  LOL  Still waiting on some parts to redo the grill thingies on the nacelle, hopefully get the parts tomorrow so I can do some work on it this weekend, who knows when and how the delivery man shall delivereth. 

Hope everyone is enjoying our hobby out there!

Cheers,

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 07:48:10 pm by jwood314 »

Offline jwood314

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2018, 08:40:28 pm »
Update #25

Lots of coolness happening, although, all of it is TINY ITY BITY TEENY steps :(  Tons of work for literally half millimeter improvements. I will not do it this way in the future, but a good way to learn.  I did not get to work on the models as much as I would have liked, but the family had a great time at the Renaissance Fair today outside of Austin.  Lots of meat on a stick, sword fighting and the best show were the Washing Wenches. 

So the first pic is of the small steps.  The Enterprises pylons are just about done and the Reliants are well under way.  I started the Rs long after the Es, so progress is quicker.  I have gotten better at doing this.  As part of this process though, I could not figure out how to get the bottom of each of these holes to the same depth.  So I decided to cut out a ton of 0.010 thick parts that go in the bottom of the holes, and that will allow me to get the depths of all of the holes to within 0.010 of each other, which is pretty good for a resin model.  So the pic is a bunch of these parts cut out on the Cameo 3.  Which is the best present I have ever bought for the wife!

The HobbyLinc order came in on Saturday, woohoo, which allowed me to mock up my new ridged parts in both 0.030 and 0.020 thickness parts.  I am going to go with the 0.030 strips to recreate all of the ridged parts in the nacelles.  So, the clean up all of the detail in these parts and I will be able to paint both the nacelle and grill thingy off of each other allowing for some ultra-sharp transitions.  The biggest problem is going to be on the curved section for the top grill, but I think I have a good solution on these.  So, I am going to cut out some of these grills, hopefully not have a heart attack, and then make sure everything lines up. 

All of the work is coming together on the nacelles, and looking forward to getting all 4 of these mounted up, wired up, closed up and painted up.  That is a lot of Up!

Cheers,
James

Offline jwood314

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2018, 08:45:28 pm »
Update #26

Got the little inserts popped out for the pylons, and started to test fit them.  Still some work needed, but they are close on the E.  Once they are in, I can finish cleaning up the edges of the holes, and then shim them out so they are all the same depth.  Then, I get to wait until the pylon is painted out, then they go back in.  Progress?

The other pic is of the new grills going into the nacelles.  I had a heart attack drilling out the grill on the nacelle, and then, I told myself to be extra careful not to knock off the little sprue of resin left, and of course I dropped the nacelle, boooo, and it broke out.  Soooo, another thing to patch.  I need to get a little better making the grill replacements flatter, if that makes sense. There is a little curl on the outside, which shows some in the pic.  Over all though, these are much better than what was on the casting. 

Progress?  Some.

Cheers,
James

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2018, 07:34:15 am »
James, you solution looks great! I'm lovin' the detail you are putting on the ship!

Keep going!

Steve

P.S. "Washing Wenches"?! Humm....  ;)

Enterprise © Bloc