Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mutara Nebula DeBoers Enterprise and Reliant Build  (Read 5838 times)

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
Re: Mutara Nebula DeBoers Enterprise and Reliant Build
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2018, 10:23:10 pm »
Steve,

Thanks for the kind words as always.  Concerning the assembly jigs, HECK NO.  lol, they were a lot of work to get made and once the nacelles are glued into the pylons, they are half way through their useful life :(
For the press, I used two very flat pieces of wood and a hand clamp from a big box home improvement store.  I glued laid 5 pieces on top of each other, put them in the press, made sure everything was lined up properly, then applied Tamiya thin cement which sort of melts everything together.

Hope that makes sense.

Update #36
I have found a few more differences between the studio model and the DeBoers E.  The point at which the pylons connect into the nacelles is too low and if I try and shift it up, to be more accurate to the studio model, I lower the nacelles even lower in relation to the saucer.  So, I think I will be attaching them low on the nacelle.  The first two pics show the studio model with the ratio of nacelle and saucer and the proper connection point of the pylon into the nacelle.  The DeBoers is close, but until I studied the studio pics, I would have never have known that it was not 100% accurate.  So, is this a problem, do not know.  I do not think so, she still looks pretty amazing!

Have been working on adding the extra reinforcement needed on all of the large parts that will be blued together.  The walls on the cast resin parts are too thin to directly glue to each other.  So, lots of Apoxie sculpt and sanding, get the parts to a good state to have enough surface to ensure a strong joint that will not break instantly.  I have 2 of the 4 nacelles done, but they are taking about 2 hours each, so will get the other two done tomorrow night. 

Cheers,
James

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2018, 09:07:27 pm »
Update #37

I have gotten the bottom 8 of the grill things installed into the nacelles, they look pretty darn good, however the close up of the photo just reveals ALL of the problems.  The white paint inside the recessed area will not be touched going forward, the outer stuff will get painted and sanded again.  You can see the unsmooth surface in between the two nacelle halves that will get cleaned up.  The other two pics are of the painted nacelle halves.  I have started working the top grill insert on one of the nacelle.  My first attempt is painted, waiting for the paint to dry before I install the part.

Due to geometry of the parts, there will be micro gaps around the inserts.  I am ok with this due to the vastly improved straightness and definition of the grills.  The solution will be to do some light blocking on the backside of the inserts, which I plan to do with aluminum tape, plus everything else is pretty much in its own light box. 

One day, you will get to see why I go crazy with light boxes, one day!

Close up photos are SO demoralizing. 

Cheers,
James

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2018, 05:40:11 am »
James, you've come a long way with those nacelle inserts -- they look terrific!  You're not thinking of changing the pylon insertion point though, are you?  Not sure what you've got in mind there...
Al

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2018, 11:17:07 am »
Al,

Thanks for the kind words.  If you change the position of where the pylons insert into the nacelles, you end up changing the orientation of the nacelle to the saucer.  If you look a few posts up, you see the studio model from head on where you see the nacelles poking up behind the saucer.  I think this look is more important to the overall look of the model than where the pylons and nacelles hook up.  The only way to fix this geometry problem would be to cast new pylons, and I am not capable of doing that and not worth it to me.  I have studied this ship a bit, and only realized the error after a lot of looking, most people would never notice.

James

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2018, 12:32:39 pm »
I have studied this ship a bit, and only realized the error after a lot of looking, most people would never notice.

Al: A guess? You, James?! That's extraordinary!

James: [to Steve] I don't think he understands.

Steve: No, James. He means that he feels safer about your guesses than most other people's facts.

;D

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2018, 05:44:21 pm »
Too funny. 

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2018, 06:19:29 am »
Too funny.

Yeah, well, you know I'm old when I'm quoting a 1986 movie!  ;D

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2018, 08:46:44 pm »
We are both old!

Update #38

Sand, putty, sand, putty, sand, putty, PRIMER!, crap, sand, putty, sand, putty, sand, putty, PRIMER!  Base color!  Oi. :(

Pheww, well, I got all of the inserts into the nacelles, woohoo!  More work to go on them, but on to the next step of drilling holes and work the mounting onto the pylons.  First pic is of one of the nacelles with the inserts and the second shot is starting to work on the hole placement for the Reliants nacelles.  These are much easier nacelles to mount, so these are the ones I am starting on.  After the pylons are glued up, get to do some soldering on the wiring and spot light LED placement on the Enterprise, that is going to be exciting, then, glue up the nacelles, and then sand, putty, sand, putty, sand, putty, PRIMER!  To break up this monotony, I am starting to work the Enterprise shuttle bay. 

I really like the shuttle bay I got from Mark, but, I am going to clean up some of the detail in the casting.  This will also be used on my Reliant shuttle bays, so it is a two fer!  I plan on using the Silhouette to cut out some of the larger plastic detailing and photo etch on the tiny detailing.  I will take pics of the various parts as they come out of my work flow.  I am also looking into cutting the elevator tube thingies out of acrylic, more on that, when I hear back from Matt. 

Last couple of pics is of 7th Continent.  My daughter and I FINALLY lifted the Voracious Goddess curse, took 6 play sessions to do it, but we had a BLAST playing the game.  We have 3 more curses to go.  I am hoping we get all of the expansion stuff, early next year right when we complete the 4th curse.  That would be good timing. 

Will work on the mounting tomorrow.  I always seem to be behind, I had to work most of today though, which is not Bueno, however, I am almost done with the retirement box.  I got the leather glued in today, and looking to buy the last bits of hardware to install.

Cheers,
James

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2018, 07:19:18 am »
Excellent work as always, James! Keep it up!

(Still think you would market your building matrix!) ;)

Glad you bonded with the munchkin! It makes for awesome memories. I used to play the Halo series on XBox 360 with the kids (yeah, I know I'm dating myself!) and those times made for some serious bonding and awesome memories!

Keep posting! We'll keep wanting more!

Steve

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2018, 11:02:22 pm »
Steve,

Thanks!!  The memories with the kids are awesome, and almost more important than model building, lol.

Update #39

Got the Reliant pylons and nacelles glued up.  The pic shows how level everything ended up.  The good thing is that they are within about 1/8 inch when measuring all of the upper surfaces.  However, the nacelle on the right was twisted when glued to the pylon.  :(  Major sadness on my part, I did not notice it when I was gluing the first time.  So, I very carefully cut it off of the pylon, sanded everything flat, AGAIN, and reglued.  This time, both the left and right nacelle have the same amount of negative camber.  If I cut them both off to try and eliminate this 1/8 inch over the height of the nacelle, I am not sure I can get all of the other alignment stuff the same, so, going to live with the slight issue.  I bet no one, who does not read this, will never notice!  I hope.

The Enterprise nacelle have yet to be glued to the pylons.  I need much more working time with the epoxy than the 5 minute stuff will get me.  So I ordered 30 minute epoxy.  The issues I am running into on this are of course different than the Reliant.  The Reliant was relatively easy, not much to really mess up, except of course what I did, lol.  The Enterprise has more to get right, but, it also has 2 screws that I can use to physically attach the nacelle and pylon.  Will take some shots of that in the next post.  I want to commemorate how they are wired up and soldered before I glue them shut.  So, when the epoxy comes in, I will do some sanding and glue them up.  Oh, the problem I am having with the right nacelle, to continue the car alignment analogy, is that the toe on the right nacelle is out compared the left nacelle.  So I installed a washer as a spacer on the back screw and going to test a double washer tomorrow night.  If this fixes the toe, then all of the dimensions will be within 1/8 inch on these nacelles also, which would be fantastic. 

Family is in town this weekend, so probably not much going to get done on the models, but nearing the completion of 4 large sub-assemblies.  I have also attached the photo etch mask I designed up for the shuttle bay inserts on the Enterprise.  Also you can see the plan to cut the storage bay thingy in plastic.  I will cut several 0.010 thick parts and glue them together to get the correct thickness.  I plan on using some of the same design elements in the Reliant, to help tie the two models together, since there is no official shot of the Reliant that I know of.

Cheers,
James

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia.net
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2018, 01:16:34 pm »
This is looking vey nice. Love the work you're doing on these ships. Looking forward to more updates.
Mark
"...once it's activated. there's no way to stop it!" - Scotty - DMa
www.NemVia.net

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2018, 09:11:57 pm »
Mark,

Thanks for the kind words.  These are my first large scale resin models, so I took/stole/borrowed/acquired a ton of knowledge from your build logs.  Thank you for posting that amazing source of information. 

Update #40

I got one of the Enterprise nacelles glued to the pylon today, my 30 minute epoxy came in, woohoo.  I also got all of the soldering done on one of the Reliant nacelles.  One pic shows the soldering and heat shrinking of everything, the second is a close up of screws I am using as additional strength.  I have cut some recesses on the other side of the nacelle to allow me to pack some more epoxy into this area when I glue this thing up.  I am ready to glue up the first nacelle, I did several practice clamp ups, but got different results each time I practiced.  So, going to put it down tonight, and try again tomorrow night, getting tired, long day. 

Should get the first nacelle glued up tomorrow, the second Enterprise nacelle pylon glued and the second Reliant nacelle soldered and wires dressed up. 

I need the nacelles glued up so I can start doing some work on the Enterprise secondary hull and try and figure out where the center of gravity is for the Reliant model. 

Plugging along on this journey.

Cheers,
James

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2018, 05:24:49 pm »
Update #41

More progress and a setback, which makes me sad.  I got the second Enterprise nacelle epoxied to the pylon and glued up the second Reliant nacelle.  DISASTER, well sort of.  AS part of the test clamping and test fitting, I ran into problems where I needed to remove parts of the pylon and parts of the top of the nacelle, basically, I needed to sand down it down some to minimize future work on the seam line on the bottom of the nacelle.  However, I got a little excited while sanded, and cut 2 of the wires the run from inside the hull into the nacelle.  Fortunately, one of those wires does not carry any signal, the other one controls the light underneath the crystal.  So I faced an existential crisis.  I had to sit there for several minutes and debate whether or not to run another wire.  I made the right choice and ran another wire.  Pheww.  I do not think it will be that difficult to go back in and fill my little channel needed to run that repair wire. 

Finally got to use the jig to align the LED needed to light up the neck, woohoo!

First three pictures are of the repair wire, and gluing up the nacelle.  Next picture is from the movie, and the last picture is of my aligned LED in the nacelle shinning down on the neck in all of its glory!

Cheers,
James

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2018, 05:56:44 am »
Missing wire?  No problem.

Align spot?  Piece of cake.

James, you're doing an incredible job!  It's not clear what the jig looked like that you used to align the spot though.  Can you show a photo or elaborate?  Man, the spot is so right on:)

Al

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2018, 08:13:47 pm »
Al,

Info below.

Update #42

DISASTER, a much BIGGER disaster than what happened yesterday.  Take a look at the crap picture, and I think you will see my problem quite clearly.  I aligned from the back of the nacelle, and everything look ok, a little twist, but from the front, OMG, DISASTER, super sad.  So lunch was spent tearing apart that joint without damaging any of the wires.  The good thing I learned was just how strong these joints are.  I cut through about 90% of the joint before I could wiggle it apart.  I did not want to damage the wires, so would not even cut near them this time around.  The biggest issue I had was the metal screws I had installed to provide extra strength in the joint.  I spent over an hour just realigning the darn thing, and then, put down two hot glue dots to steady the joint, and have applied two layers of epoxy to it.  Tomorrow, I will remove it from the model, and fill in the other side of the nacelle joint with epoxy, and then back to forward progress on these guys.

On the 1st Enterprise nacelle, I had to go back in and add some more apoxie sculpt to put a few more places to allow for epoxy to glue the sides together.  There is a slight warpage in the nacelle, so I want plenty of surface area to get it all straightened back out with.  Apoxi takes 24 hours or so, so will go back to work on the 1st one tomorrow.

For the 2nd Enterprise nacelle I got the spot light LED aligned, BUT, looks like I am going to have a really hard time getting the saucer spot light lined up.  I did not realize how important those holes locations were going to end up.  I think I would have been SOL regardless though.  The 8 foot model has more room to use larger LEDs on.  I look forward to hopefully getting to build an 8 footer.

I have also had a few questions on my jigs that I built for these models.  I took so larger photos of the jigs.  The jigs that hold the secondary hull and the saucer up are pretty much locked in place.  For the nacelles however, I can maneuver the nacelle in all 3 axis.  Same with the Reliant, the saucer is pretty much set, but I can maneuver the nacelles are around in all three axis.  What I do not have atm, is a way to glue up the roll bar on the Reliant, I will build something for that in a few months, when closer to gluing that bad boy on.

So a big step back today, but overall made good progress, and fixed a HUGE model destroying disaster.

Cheers,
James
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 08:15:18 pm by jwood314 »

Enterprise © Bloc